Author Topic: Manual Entry of Waypoint  (Read 6332 times)

edbob

Manual Entry of Waypoint
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
I can get all my waypoints in by using the Flight Planner.

Is there a way to do it manually, while in the plane?

Thanks

Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Manual Entry of Waypoint
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:57:32 pm »
You can use the Flight Planner again to create a new flight plan, but when it asks to move to the starting airport, reply "No". Or, you can load another flight plan you already have or, you can edit your existing flight plan with the Flight Planner, it will prompt to save it, save it, then immediately load it (not remember if the load step is necessary, but you can try)

edbob

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »
Thanks Virtuali (late reply, but I did see it shortly after you replied),

Do you know how pilots programmed waypoints into their system on the real Hornets?

Also, because it's possibly related, there is a little button in the center console area (not the MFD) where the buttons for A/P, ILS, IFF are, that is right above the ADF toggle.  My res is not high enough to make it out, but it looks like MP or WP.

It's clickable, but I don't see that it does anything.  Does it do anything?

Just want to add my thanks for doing such a good job on the Hornet and for this forum and all your exceptionally helpful responses and tutorials. 

Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:47:46 pm »
Do you know how pilots programmed waypoints into their system on the real Hornets?

Yes, is done through the Upfront panel, and it's quite clumsy. We haven't modeled that.

D/L Data Link, perhaps ? No, it's not clickable.

edbob

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:13:37 pm »
Virtuali,

Thank you for your reply.

I had come to the conclusion that it would have to be a clumsy procedure too.

What resources did you use to learn about and model the F18's flight characteristics and instrumentation?

I would assume you got a hold of the declassified manuals, but I'm curious about other sources you may have used.

I used to be friends with a Hornet pilot when he flew with the Blue Angels.  I've been out of touch for years, but now that I'm flying your sim model, I often wish he were available again for questions on flight manuevers and procedures.

SUBS17

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:41:48 pm »
Thanks Virtuali (late reply, but I did see it shortly after you replied),

Also, because it's possibly related, there is a little button in the center console area (not the MFD) where the buttons for A/P, ILS, IFF are, that is right above the ADF toggle.  My res is not high enough to make it out, but it looks like MP or WP.

Just want to add my thanks for doing such a good job on the Hornet and for this forum and all your exceptionally helpful responses and tutorials. 

Ed

The waypoints are most likely already programmed and loaded into the Hornet by a data cartridge like the F-16. In the F-16 its quite easy to change a steerpoints location by using the UFC. You just push 4 then RCL then enter the steerpoints new lat and lon coordinates. I'm not sure if the Hornet has it but the F-16 also allows the VIP, VRP and OA steerpoints to be placed manually through the UFC although that probably can be loaded via DTC cartridge as well IRL but in OF and AF its done manually. For that we use the weapons delivery planer.