Author Topic: Addon Manager in FSX  (Read 4368 times)

Dimon

Addon Manager in FSX
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:07 am »
I noticed that Addon Manager has a checkbox option "HD Texture". Am I correct that selecting this option results in applying the line "Texture_Max_Load=4096" in fsx.cfg?  The problem is that while it's ok as far as performance on my machine concerns, this line is changed to the default value each time I edit FSX option in the sim's menu.

Please clarify.

Thanks
Dmitriy
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Addon Manager in FSX
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:09:55 am »
As far as I am aware, use the Force HD Textures option in the Addon Manager essential forces the setting to stay at 4096 regardless of if you make menu changes or not which would normally reset the figure to 1024. That's kind of the beauty of the feature and makes Addon Manager a great tool to have installed even if you dont have any FSDT products installed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:56 am »
Am I correct that selecting this option results in applying the line "Texture_Max_Load=4096" in fsx.cfg?  The problem is that while it's ok as far as performance on my machine concerns, this line is changed to the default value each time I edit FSX option in the sim's menu.

No, it's not. It's changed to default only if you just edited the fsx.cfg by hand.

That's the main advantage of setting it with the Addon Manager, it doesn't just write the fsx.cfg, it also write the correct value in memory and calls the appropriate FSX (undocumented) API call to refresh from the value written in memory. The fsx.cfg is written too, but just to allow the value to be read on the *next* FSX restart.

Even if you play with the Max Texture size slider, you'll see that textures will still be at 4096x4096 (check at KLAX, for example) resolution, something that is not happening if you just edit the fsx.cfg by hand.

There's a free utility that constantly rewrites the fsx.cfg EVERY second, to keep the value in, which is not very good for performance reasons and is not useful to update the value in the current session, and other similar utilities provided with products like REX, simply rewrite the value at each FSX start, but you'll lose it if you play with the FSX Graphic settings menu in any case.

The "Force HD texture" option in the Addon Manager is the only way that *really* force 4096x4096 textures without worrying about touching the graphic settings, and works in real time without needing an FSX restart.

Dimon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »
Thanks for the response, Umberto.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.