Author Topic: Prepar3d V2  (Read 16885 times)

AaronMyers

Re: Prepar3d V2
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »
I am not a commercial user either. That's my point. The EULA does not cover our use, but we seem to be bending the wording of the EULA so that it does. Normally that is not something that is looked upon very highly. Oddly this seems to be an exception in the community.

I agree that hopefully someday they will reword the EULA to cover people like me who admit that their primary use for the license is for personal consumption, and that a lower flat rate will be introduced to support it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 10:12:09 pm »
Normally that is not something that is looked upon very highly. Oddly this seems to be an exception in the community.

If the ones that are supposed to enforce the EULA are saying they have no problem with this, why should you or anyone else ?

Snprshot3

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »
Well im going to sound like an idiot,k but what exactly is Prepare 3d?

AaronMyers

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
If the ones that are supposed to enforce the EULA are saying they have no problem with this, why should you or anyone else ?

For me the better question is, if those that wrote the EULA are saying they have no problem with it, then why didn't they write the EULA to reflect it?

At any rate, this will be a question for the times for me anyway as FSX serves me well for the moment. If they ever develop a consumer version with a flat rate consumer price I may reconsider. The advances will have to be more profound as well because lets face it, starting from scratch can be a real nightmare.

Highiron

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 02:11:07 am »
This topic is re-beating the beat horse. Poor horse...

The comments from John Nicol from the Prepar3D team have already been posted above, so I need not post them again.

The EULA is exactly that, "End User". Lockheed Martin's EULA will likely not change. Why? Simply by definition. Consumer/Entertainment product = game

Lockheed Martin does not and never will make "games". The EULA is in place to ensure that this definition is clear to users, and developers.

Simply put, if you want a flight simming "game", then Prepar3D is not for you.
If you want a "Flight Simulator" for the purposes of simulating flight, then Prepar3D is for you, and if your developing for such intent then it's also for you. If you are developing other material based on the Prepar3D platform for simulation, such as an ATC simulator or Submariner simulator, than Prepar3D is for you. If you wish to use the Prepar3D platform for a "Sea Battle" game, Prepar3D is not for you.

I hope you see the trend in the above paragraph. It all comes down to your intention of use as the "End User". Do you wish to "simulate" an environment i.e. planes, ships, tanks, etc etc, or play to entertain yourself or others? Most users are trying to capture the experience of flying and learn something that is financially out of reach. In this case, users are employing the platform for non-entertainment purposes, and easily fall within compliance of the EULA. In the end, it is up to you, the "End User" to define your intentions of using Prepar3D. Just remember when you use it or develope for it, that it is not a "game", and can never be used as such.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:53:53 am by Highiron »
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

AaronMyers

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 03:20:54 am »
Indeed the horse is dead and I shall leave it as such. Now I'm off to finish my flight to Sao Paulo in my 747 in FSX, which by the way can be found in the "game" section of your local electronics store.   :P

kdfw

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 04:30:03 pm »
and you will never see p3d stocked in the game section.