Author Topic: No buildings under Prepar3D, FSX works fine  (Read 10850 times)

Highiron

No buildings under Prepar3D, FSX works fine
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:42:03 am »
I've ran the Prepar3D update, as well as installed the latest add-on manager, but no matter what I do, I can not get any of the buildings to appear within P3D. I unregistered it, and re-registered it again but still no joy. With P3D I check the Add-On Manager, and it states the product KLAX is installed and registered. Not sure what else to try, any suggestions?

Cheers,
Thad
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:36:12 pm by virtuali »
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FsDreamTeam to support Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:40 am »
Do you have both the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu ?

First check for the possible antivirus problem, this way:

- Uninstall the scenery. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall the scenery with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch P3D yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourPrepar3DFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourPrepar3DFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch Prepar3D.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

Highiron

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:36:33 am »
Under the "Addons" menu, only the "Addon Manager" was displayed.

I uninstalled the Prepar3D KLAX and the Addon Manager. I checked the P3D FSDT folder, and it was empty. I disabled Norton 360. I ran the KLAX and Addon Manager installers again. I configured Norton 360 to exclude the files mentioned, the same as the ones in FSX. I ran Prepar3D and still have the same result. Jetways show and light posts, but no buildings, just as if the trial had run out.

I tried FSX, and KLAX is running fine.

I compared the files between FSX and Prepar3D, and all the files related to FSDT KLAX v2 are present and the same. Within Prepar3D, when I select "Addons" on the menu bar, once again, only the "Addon Manager" show present, no "Couatl powered products".

When I ran the uninstaller through the "Add Remove Programs", it only asked about Prepar3D, nothing about FSX. Also on the installer, it only asks to install for Prepar3D, not providing the option to install/uninstall from FSX or Prepar3D or both, just the Prepar3D platform. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »
I uninstalled the Prepar3D KLAX and the Addon Manager. I checked the P3D FSDT folder, and it was empty

Since you Uninstalled, that's to be expected.

I ran the KLAX and Addon Manager installers again

You don't have to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for KLAX in Prepar3D! Nobody said to do this. Use ONLY the KLAX installer that was linked above, which is compatible with Prepar3D, don't run anything else. Now, you'll probably have to uninstall everything again, and install ONLY KLAX FOR Prepar3D, and nothing else.

I configured Norton 360 to exclude the files mentioned, the same as the ones in FSX

No, they aren't. They are different and in a different folder. Be absolutely sure you excluded the ones in the Prepar3D folder too.

Within Prepar3D, when I select "Addons" on the menu bar, once again, only the "Addon Manager" show present, no "Couatl powered products".

Surely a mistake when configuring the antivirus. Check it better.

When I ran the uninstaller through the "Add Remove Programs", it only asked about Prepar3D, nothing about FSX

That's normal. If you reply "no" to the question "Do you want to uninstall from Prepar3D" it will assume FSX.

.Also on the installer, it only asks to install for Prepar3D, not providing the option to install/uninstall from FSX or Prepar3D or both, just the Prepar3D platform. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

That's normal too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:21:03 pm by virtuali »

Highiron

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:04:34 pm »
I mentioned the folder was empty, to confirm to you the uninstall went as it should and nothing had gone wrong.

I installed the Stand-Alone Manager for KLAX, after the first attempt not installing it yielded the same result. I believed it's absence may have been the reason for the failure. On this re-attempt, I did not run the install for the Stand-Alone Manager for KLAX.

I understand the files mentioned to exclude "\bglmanx.DLL" and "\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe" are not intended to be the same as the ones in FSX and neither are they in the same paths. These files reside in the FSX and Prepar3D root folders and and in the "fsdreamteam" sub folders, I had only mentioned them as they are exactly the same file names as the ones in FSX, and they too are excluded from Norton. I used to be a programmer back in my early days, I kind'a know how this stuff works.  ;)

The antivirus configuration I have set up is identical for Prepar3D as it is for FSX in regards to your content. All your files in Prepar3D are excluded from any action from Norton. When I check your files in Norton Insight, it confirms they are "Trusted" files in the Norton community, not just on my system, therefore Norton has no desire to interfere with them. Their presence within my Prepar3D installation confirms this. To further check, they are not being tampered with, their content size are identical to their counterparts in my FSX installation.

I never selected the "no" option to see if the installer would go after the FSX installation, so was not aware that it was functioning for both platforms, so I understand it has nothing to do with the current issue.

I uninstalled KLAX through the Uninstaller in the "Add/Remove" programs option in the Windows control panel. I confirmed the folders again within Prepar3D were gone relating to all things FSDT to ensure the uninstall went properly. All were removed "as expected". I confirmed all files mentioned were excluded by Norton in the Prepar3D installation folder, with "full" paths indicated. I disabled Norton and all it's scanning functions including SONAR and Insight Protection. I ran the Prepar3D KLAX installer "As Administrator". It installed all the file components into the Prepar3D folder. At this point if Norton had done anything, it would have advised me. Nothing notified me of any problems. I left Norton disabled, ran Prepar3D, moved to KLAX and no buildings were present. I select the menu bar "Alt" key, it pulls up, but only half the width of the top pane, it should go all the way across. It did before running your installer. However, the menu bar seems to function so I press on. I select "Addons". In the pull down menu, it displays "FSUIPC" and "Addon Manager", and that's it. "Couatl powered products" does not appear as an option. I exit Prepar3D, it crashes as it's know to do, no big deal. I go back to the Prepar3D installation folder and into the "fsdreamteam" folder and into the "couatl" folder and everything is there in tact, including the "couatl.exe". When I compare your files between FSX and Prepar3D side by side, all the files are present. Each identically named file is present, and are of the same size. All the files are Norton "Trusted" so it's not Norton doing anything, and Norton had been disabled throughout the whole process.

Is it possible the installer is placing the FSX file contents into the Prepar3D installation, and not the "modified" ones. You say they are not the same files, yet their content size are identical. Would not a change in data, result in a change in size? I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm just grasping for ideas here. My installation of Prepar3D is raw. No other add-ons besides FSUIPC, so conflicts with other items is not possible. KLAX is the first 3rd party material I have attempted to insert. My FSX KLAX installation, as I had mentioned earlier, functions perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:59:45 pm by Highiron »
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:27:37 pm »
Is it possible the installer is placing the FSX file contents into the Prepar3D installation, and not the "modified" ones. You say they are not the same files, yet their content size are identical

I haven't said they are not the same files to mean they are *different*, but they are not the same from the point of the antivirus exclusion, since are located in different folders so, excluding the FSX ones won't exclude the Prepar3d ones, even if they ARE the same (and they are).

Of course, they are the same if you also updated the FSX version. If you installed the FSX version *before* the Addon Manager and Couatl were updated, the FSX version was older.

So the files ARE exactly the same, the current version of the Addon Manager and Couatl supports BOTH FSX and Prepar3D, depending where they are installed into.

Fact that both Addon Manager and Couatl for FSX runs on your system, indicates there are not other problems.

Go to your %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder, an see if you have a Couatl.err file there. If you have, post its content.

Highiron

Re: No buildings under Prepar3D, FSX works fine
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:59:14 pm »
I did find an error file regarding Couatl. Very interesting as I see there are problems with wheel contact points. I see another forum member disscussing a simular problem.  I used the default install of the the Lockheed Super Constellation (Just Flight release), and a freeware Lockheed Electra L188 (Same as the one offered in the Prepar3D *download* section). Both aircraft yield the same result. Both have aircraft *contact points* within their "aircraft.cfg" file.

Here's the content of the Couatl.err file you requested.

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sat Oct 22 19:17:27 2011
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\aircraftData.py", line 327, in getAircraftData
  File "couatl\common\aircraftData.py", line 314, in __init__
  File "couatl\common\aircraftData.py", line 323, in wheels
AttributeError: 'AircraftData' object has no attribute 'contactPoints'

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sat Oct 22 20:05:32 2011

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sat Oct 22 21:09:09 2011

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sat Oct 22 21:25:13 2011

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sat Oct 22 22:37:53 2011

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sun Oct 23 03:03:06 2011

couatl v2.0 (build 2223)
panic log started on Sun Oct 23 09:58:08 2011
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

Highiron

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
Some follow up information that may be very helpful Umberto.

I did more testing. Here's the initial setup, changes, and results.

- During my overall performance testing of Prepare3D I was using the default Just Flight Lockheed Super Constellation L049 AOA livery no speed pack variant.
- I had saved the AOA Lockheed Super Connie as the *Default* flight parked at Burbank CA airport (KBUR).
- I installed FSDT KLAX into Prepar3D.
- I started Prepar3D and it loaded the AOA Lockheed Super Connie parked on the ramp at KBUR.
- I checked the *Addons* on menu bar. Only "FSUIPC" and "Addon Manager" are displayed.
- I check *Addon Manager*, it shows KLAX is installed and activated within Prepar3D.
- I think there is a install problem and I believe I also needed to download and install the latest Addon Manager. It did not help.
- I try un-registering and re-registering with no result.
- I try a different aircraft.
- Prepar3D has no front end interface, it loads the default flight I had created, the AOA Lockheed Super Connie at KBUR. I select the American Lockheed Electra L188. Prepar3D reloads scenery, terrain, and aircraft. Now I have the Lockheed Electra L188 parked on the ramp at KBUR. I depart KBUR and head over to KLAX. No buildings at KLAX
- More un-installs and installs. Same result every time.
- After seeing the results in the Couatl.err log, I decided to experiment.
- I started Prepar3D again. Default flight, AOA Lockheed Super Connie at KBUR. Menu still showed no *Couatl powered products*. To eliminate the known variables I selected the default Beech King Air 350. It reloaded with the King Air 350 at KBUR. This time I saved the flight and selected it as the *Default Flight*.
- I exited Prepar3D.
- I restarted Prepar3D. King Air 350 loads in KBUR. I go to the menu and then select "Addons", and BEHOLD! there's *Couatl powered products* being displayed.
- I move the aircraft to KLAX under the "select airport" menu in Prepar3D. It reloads the King Air 350 on the runway and ALL the buildings are present.

Since the Couatl.exe is running upon startup of either FSX or Prepar3D, the problem enters before the simulator is usable. It appears Couatl.exe does not like several aircraft. In my case, the Lockheed Super Constellation, in the other posters results, the PMDG 747. It seems currently the only solution at the moment is to change the *Default Flight* aircraft to one that the Couatl engine is happy with. This requires some experimentation. The Couatl.exe seems very dependent on what aircraft is used as the *Default Flight* when either FSX or Prepar3D is started to operate successfully. Some aircraft will allow it to load properly, others will cause it to crash. I haven't fully tested the theory yet, but my suspicion is that it seems so far to occur more frequently with aircraft that were built native to FS9 and ported into FSX. FSX native builds so far have not appeared to caused this problem when they are used as the *Default Flight* during start up. Although the Just Flight Super Constellation is supposedly a FSX native build, it's compatibility with Windows XP leads me to suspect part of it may be FS9 native, possibly because of the time it took to develop, but again, I need to experiment more to confirm this. I hope this long winded response points you and anyone else with this issue in the right direction. I'll also test, if changing back to the offending aircraft after startup causes the Couatl.exe to fail. I'll post the results.

Conclusion: For now, select a different aircraft as the "Default Flight" when either FSX or Prepar3D encounters this issue.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

Highiron

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »
Further test results, not good. Man, what a way to blow a Sunday afternoon.

1st test:
- Loaded new default flight with King Air 350 at KBUR (Burbank, California). Everything works fine. Couatl Engine works, KLAX works.
- Selected AOA Lockheed Super Constellation L049 from aircraft selection menu. Prepar3D reloads. Couatl Engine is failed, KLAX has no structures.

2nd test:
- Create default flight with American Lockheed Electra L188.
- Start Prepar3D. Couatl Engine failed.
- Selected King Air 350 from aircraft selection menu. Prepar3D reloads. Couatl Engine remains failed, KLAX has no structures.

3rd test:
- Loaded default flight with King Air 350. Couatl engine and KLAX work
- Selected Piper Mooney Bravo from aircraft selection menu. Prepar3D reloads. Couatl engine and KLAX work.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 10:47:59 am »
Ok, this info could be useful.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »
A first temporary fix, while we work on a more definitive solution:

- The  Lockheed Super Constellation L049 aircraft.cfg file supplied with Prepar3D has an error at line 130:

description="Clipper America" Perhaps the most famous early Constellation,introducing Trans-Atlantic air travel to the World.
This version has the "SpeedPack" slung under the belly.

The description continues on the next line, which is not legal, since the .cfg it's an .ini file, and expect the first part of a line to be either a comment, a blank, or a key. In fact, line 62 is similar, but is correct. If you press the "View Details" button when selecting the airplane with "PAA Speedpack" livery, the part of the description that continue on the orphaned line IS missing too, so that aircraft.cfg was surely not clean. Even the first double quotes around the "Clipper America" description are missing, because it's not really correct to start a line with double quotes in an .ini file without escaping it.

If you change the line 130 to look like this:

description="Clipper America" Perhaps the most famous early Constellation,introducing Trans-Atlantic air travel to the World. This version has the "SpeedPack" slung under the belly.

With the whole description on the line, if will not crash Couatl anymore, and the airplane description in the sim will be correct too.

About the Electra L188, which is an optional download from LM's site, there's seems to be a different problem with the aircraft.cfg, as if it was corrupted somehow, all the descriptions for the airplanes and the camera name are gibberish, maybe there's a problem with text encoding, it was likely an Unicode/UTF-8 file and was converted in Ascii usign the wrong codepage.  

I've just downloaded it from the LM site and uncompressed using 7-Zip, but it looks strange (check the "View Details" for it). I'll report this to LM. The L188 was a freeware from KBT, maybe the original download it's fine...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:43:52 pm by virtuali »

Highiron

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »
Thanks for solution for the Lockheed L049 Connie problem, I would not have found it.

I fixed the line in the aircraft.cfg file, and it loaded fine without causing Couatl to fail. KLAX was lot's of fun to fly into with it. It's kind of funny that I purchased the aircraft when it was released, only to see it  included with Prepar3D. Sadly, the support or follow up of Just Flight aircraft is non-existent, so it will be up to the community to fix this stuff.

The Lockheed Electra L188 has had the screwed up text in it's .cfg file since it was uploaded several years ago on Flight-sim. I used my download for FSX and moved the files to Prepar3D. Looks like nothing had been changed, even with L.M. hosting the download since you found the same results. This aircraft too, could serve to have a polishing re-do. I'm sure Accu-sim or Captain Sim could do a remarkable job with this bird. I love the KBT model and sound though, very nicely done.

I'll hold off on any more aircraft conflict reports until a updated Couatl.exe exists, as it seems any error within an aircraft's .cfg file might trip it up, even if it runs fine on the platform. I don't think you have any desire to sift through other's errors in all the other conflicting aircraft  :D, unless of course the info can be helpful in how you configure Couatl to parse the information.

The airport seems to function very nicely in Prepar3d. My only complaint being I loose things like taxiway lights unless my face is plastered to the windscreen, I know it's the zoom "thing" going on with LOD, I just wish I could see my panel without loosing the outside items, just my thoughts though. Other thing I noticed was the PAPI lights on approach change from white to red or red to white instantly which looks rather funny. In reality they gradually fade from one colour to the next based on how much of a degree your off glide slope, perhaps a feature you may be able to incorporate in the future. Extremely nice airport none-the-less.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

sumits81

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 11:36:12 pm »
Hi,

Just to chime in, I've tried all the possible scenarios as Thad (thanks mate) has and my results are the exact same as his.

I've found the issue with PMDG747 and MD11 along with FSDT airports..

Thanks