Author Topic: What computer Hardware can Handle FSDT the best?  (Read 13907 times)

Hnla

Re: What computer Hardware can Handle FSDT the best?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 10:36:15 pm »
Ground texture enhancement product are not affected in any way by the Mesh settings, mesh is ONLY the resolution of altitude points

Right, GEP from looking at the texture, organizes the houses and trees to look more of a "Metropolis" look, as well as adds a few more colors, and enhances the green effect of green lawns, and so on.

AI models over a scenery that has custom runway textures+lights, they will disappear. Not ALL our sceneries requires this, but some of them do. And not just *our* sceneries, but ANY scenery that use that kind of custom runway commands.

Still couldn't re-create this. I turned shadows on, and flew a over the FSDT Runway, shadows are still visible. Doesn't seem like this puts a-lot of load on anything, and airplane shadows don't appear in the FlightSim till the sun in the simulator is late afternoon, unless being blocked by a building or some other object.

Road/rivers, etc, it's not Autogen, it's VTP Terrain and it's generated from a (hopefully real-world based) database, not from an automatic algorithm

The "VTP" Terrain just repeats itself in a city metropolis, and it changes when it gets to a downtown area, but otherwise it just stays the same, it's not really real world based.

Again, FSX gets halfway there with the "Real World Based"

FSX can be up to 10x denser at high settings and has more variety.

Which is why it puts more load on my game, and slows it down dramatically when I use FSX, but, again, it's all about hardware.

FSX with no addons runs just fine on any decent and properly set modern (less than 2 year) system.

FSDT Sceneries are debatable, as they are more complex than most sceneries.

But yet, I get slower response time from Blueprint Sceneries, but FSDT graphics just seem to give up once they are put on overload, and Blueprint sceneries do not.

The fixation with the FPS counter, without understanding what it means. When graphic game developers talks about how good/bad an engine is, they never discuss FRAMES per second but rather POLYGONS per second.

And yes, FPS still doesn't mean anything if we don't know the variance: a system that generated 60 frames during the first half of a second and then it *stopped* for the 2nd half, IS running at 30 fps, but that would be an horribly unflyable jerky motion. Another system running at 30 fps, with EVERY frame perfectly spaced 1/30th of a second from the next one, will be silk smooth. Both will show 30 fps on their fps counter...

Right. Please clarify of what you mean "engine" is, but they do not talk about frames.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 11:45:52 am »
Right, GEP from looking at the texture, organizes the houses and trees to look more of a "Metropolis" look, as well as adds a few more colors, and enhances the green effect of green lawns, and so on.

Which, exactly as I've said, doesn't have anything to do with MESH.

Still couldn't re-create this. I turned shadows on, and flew a over the FSDT Runway, shadows are still visible

First, as I've said, not ALL FSDT airports requires to turn Shadows OFF. And, you still not getting it: it's not the Shadow that will disappear, it's the WHOLE airplane that will disappear, but ONLY on some airports. Zurich, for example, is one that surely need that option turned off. And, ONLY for FS9 AI models.

The "VTP" Terrain just repeats itself in a city metropolis, and it changes when it gets to a downtown area, but otherwise it just stays the same, it's not really real world based.

Sorry, no. That's would be Autogen + Landclass. You mentioned roads, and roads doesn't have anything to do with Autogen, either if they are VTP terrain or if they are embedded in the ground texture, no Autogen setting will affect roads in any way. And no, VTP IS based on real world data, and it's NOT "repeats" itself.

VTP is what products like Ultimate Terrain improve but, you are probably confusing it with Autogen and Landclasses because those products usually come with their own Landclasses and Autogen definition, but that doesn't have anything to do with VTP or it means in any way that VTP is repeating or not based on real-world data.

Which is why it puts more load on my game, and slows it down dramatically when I use FSX, but, again, it's all about hardware.

Which is exactly why I've said that you can turn it down a bit, and still get a denser scenery than FS9.

[qute]FSDT Sceneries are debatable, as they are more complex than most sceneries. [/quote]

You said your FSX is already slow without any addons so, you can't obviously expect a more detailed scenery would increase that...and, since FSX is NOT slow without any addons, it clearly means your settings are probably set too high, or set wrong, or you system is not properly optimized, all things that, considering what you said in this thread, seems to be very likely.

But yet, I get slower response time from Blueprint Sceneries, but FSDT graphics just seem to give up once they are put on overload, and Blueprint sceneries do not.

"just seem to give up" is not really very clear. If you mean the fps degrades over time, that's clearly not a problem of our sceneries but, most likely, the progressive addition of more and more AI that appear, since AI traffic can take several minutes to fill up and, since you are using FS9 models in FSX, it's very likely your main performance problem it's the AIs, not the scenery.

OF COURSE, if you use the same AI over a way less detailed scenery, it's fairly normal the OVERALL load of you system would be less.

Right. Please clarify of what you mean "engine" is, but they do not talk about frames.

An 3d engine is anything that can drive 3d images on screen, any 3d game must use one, many use the Unreal engine, other the Crysis engine, the Source engine, etc. FSX uses its own engine made by Microsoft, which is an evolution of the FS9 engine, but it's an engine nonetheless so, it can be evaluated just like any other game.

If you want to know how fast/powerful an engine is, you never discuss fps, but only polygons/sec, since fps doesn't tell much, without knowing how complex the scene being rendered it. Of course, graphic settings in FSX are there just to allow user to DECIDE how complex the scene should be, just like any other game out there.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:26:38 pm »
Dude, please stop this. You are wasting Umberto time.
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

Hnla

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »
Which, exactly as I've said, doesn't have anything to do with MESH.

Got it, must be confusing the two.

First, as I've said, not ALL FSDT airports requires to turn Shadows OFF. And, you still not getting it: it's not the Shadow that will disappear, it's the WHOLE airplane that will disappear, but ONLY on some airports. Zurich, for example, is one that surely need that option turned off. And, ONLY for FS9 AI models.

Thats surely weird. So it's just like an invisible aircraft? Shadow, but no aircraft?  :)

Sorry, no. That's would be Autogen + Landclass. You mentioned roads, and roads doesn't have anything to do with Autogen, either if they are VTP terrain or if they are embedded in the ground texture, no Autogen setting will affect roads in any way. And no, VTP IS based on real world data, and it's NOT "repeats" itself.

VTP is what products like Ultimate Terrain improve but, you are probably confusing it with Autogen and Landclasses because those products usually come with their own Landclasses and Autogen definition, but that doesn't have anything to do with VTP or it means in any way that VTP is repeating or not based on real-world data.

Yes, it's based on Real World, when it comes to what type of metropolis, like a denser area of metropolis, it will change based on that, but every house is the same, and it's all the same square of texture everywhere is has that.

Which is exactly why I've said that you can turn it down a bit, and still get a denser scenery than FS9.

FSDT Sceneries are debatable, as they are more complex than most sceneries.

You said your FSX is already slow without any addons so, you can't obviously expect a more detailed scenery would increase that...and, since FSX is NOT slow without any addons, it clearly means your settings are probably set too high, or set wrong, or you system is not properly optimized, all things that, considering what you said in this thread, seems to be very likely.

So as I come to it, the bottom line is basically, "Realism, but slow" or "Fake but fast", you can't have both? Or just set the bar halfway? Or what shouldn't I set to 100%?

"just seem to give up" is not really very clear. If you mean the fps degrades over time, that's clearly not a problem of our sceneries but, most likely, the progressive addition of more and more AI that appear, since AI traffic can take several minutes to fill up and, since you are using FS9 models in FSX, it's very likely your main performance problem it's the AIs, not the scenery.

OF COURSE, if you use the same AI over a way less detailed scenery, it's fairly normal the OVERALL load of you system would be less.

I mean the graphics will get worse, sorry the term "give up" was misinterpreted.

Dude, please stop this. You are wasting Umberto time.

Obviously you haven't read the forum board name, "General Discussion"  :)

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
Dude, please stop this. You are wasting Umberto's time.
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »
Thats surely weird. So it's just like an invisible aircraft? Shadow, but no aircraft?  :)

When this happens, you would see only the airplane lights.

Yes, it's based on Real World, when it comes to what type of metropolis, like a denser area of metropolis, it will change based on that, but every house is the same, and it's all the same square of texture everywhere is has that.

No, you are still confusing it with Autogen+Landclass.  

VTP (roads, rivers, coastlines) is entirely different, and it's NOT generic, does NOT generate any houses (that's *Autogen* !) and is usually based on real-world data.

So as I come to it, the bottom line is basically, "Realism, but slow" or "Fake but fast", you can't have both? Or just set the bar halfway? Or what shouldn't I set to 100%?

You still not getting it: since one of the most impacting factors is Autogen *density* and Autogen is ALWAYS fake, regardless of its density, you are not really choosing between realism, since (as I've said initially) realism for Autogen is very debatable issue, it's more like "I like my view to be xxxx dense".

I mean the graphics will get worse, sorry the term "give up" was misinterpreted.

Not a problem of our sceneries, and nobody ever reported this before. It's more likely your video card is exhausting its memory, and the driver might have issue keeping it up with memory management and swapping in/out of texture from ram to vram.  It's likely a video driver issue, or an FSX setting that might be wrong.

Try to use the tool on this website:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Which will create an optimized FSX.CFG for your system, and it also set a few tweaks which improves graphic memory handling.

boomsonic

• BOOM!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:05 am »
Umberto,

That tweaker is a godsend, thanks a lot for pointing me towards that - works like a dream.

It raised some of the FSDT KDFW buildings off the ground so I'm reinstalling to see if it fixes the problem.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:49:07 am by virtuali »

Hnla

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »
Ok, my computer software is:

Windows Vista Ultimate Inspiron 1420 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU with 2.00 GB of RAm, and 100 GB of Hard Drive, with only 22 GB Free.

I am considering installing FSX on it, but I don't want to if I know it will be extremely choppy, and freezy, and slow. Does anyone know if it will run smoothly?

I installed FSX on a very old previous computer that was like 10 years old, and had fs9 installed on it as well. FS9 ran fine, but FSX ran so horrible I un-installed it, and never touched it again.

The Computer I listed above (windows vista ultimate) is fairly new, and doesn't have fs9, or much of anything installed on it. I'm seeking some advice on if I should install or not  ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:46:30 pm by Brittney »

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »
Ok, my computer software is:

Windows Vista Ultimate Inspiron 1420 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU with 2.00 GB of RAm, and 100 GB of Hard Drive, with only 22 GB Free.

I am considering installing FSX on it, but I don't want to if I know it will be extremely choppy, and freezy, and slow. Does anyone know if it will run smoothly?

I installed FSX on a very old previous computer that was like 10 years old, and had fs9 installed on it as well. FS9 ran fine, but FSX ran so horrible I un-installed it, and never touched it again.

The Computer I listed above (windows vista ultimate) is fairly new, and doesn't have fs9, or much of anything installed on it. I'm seeking some advice on if I should install or not  ???

Boone, can I call you Boone? I like your old handle better than Brittney.

Anyway, dont do it. FSX requires 14 GB available hard disk space just by itself. Plus your CPU is two slow and most likely your RAM as well. You would probably have to run it at settings turned down so much that it would probably look about like FS9 but run worse. Plus you should never fill your HD almost to capacity. A general rule of thumb on standard hardrives (not SSD's) is to never go past around 60-70% or so of capacity.

Your going to need something a bit newer and faster if you want to run FSX at decent levels and enjoy it, not to mention a bigger hard drive.

Hnla

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice, although I am really bummed.  :(

Hnla

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:13 pm »
Second that, I'm glad I didn't take your advice. ( no offense )  ;)

Installed FSX, works great!  ;D

Flying peacefully.....