Author Topic: Couatl error message on FSX startup  (Read 12213 times)

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
Couatl error message on FSX startup
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:11 pm »
Each time I start FSX I get a pop-up message, see image:

I´ve reinstalled Zurich scenery as it is the only one I have for FSX, also the latest addon Manager is installed. I followed the instructions in the Zurich thread but to no avail.

I have excluded bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe from antivir, re-installed and read through all the Zurich threads. Also the buildings are missing in Zurich......

Please help!

Kind Regards and Happy Landings!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl error message on FSX startup
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:54:16 pm »
You are the first one ever having this message. It seems there's another application running which is presenting itself as being a debugger.

What other 3rd party addons have you installed ? What other applications are you running in the background ?

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:11 pm »
Too many addons to list here.

The message appears since yesterday when I had to restore windows to an earlier state due to a virus/trojan.

I managed to remove this trojan but still encounter some problems, one of which is the couatl.exe problem.

Until yesterday everything worked without any problems and so did all FSDT products.

54 processes running in the background, 3 programs (right now)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:12:39 pm »
The message appears since yesterday when I had to restore windows to an earlier state due to a virus/trojan

I managed to remove this trojan but still encounter some problems, one of which is the couatl.exe problem.

A virus might disguise itself as a debugger, maybe something related to it is still running.

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:14 am »
I scanned the system with various programs and none of them found a part of a virus or a virus itself so it seems I have succesfully removed it.

Every program with the exception of couatl.exe and is working as it did before.

I checked my FS9 installation and all cloud9/FSDT sceneries work normal.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »
I scanned the system with various programs and none of them found a part of a virus or a virus itself so it seems I have succesfully removed it.

The issue is, to trigger such message, a program needs to "attach" to another executable. Which looks like something a virus could do. A virus in not the only program that could do this, but it's the more probable cause (even if you are the first one seeing this message), since I guess you would know if you used a debugger yourself and, considering you had a virus, the most likely cause is it's still there somewhere. Maybe not the dangerous part which is the detected by the antivirus, but just enough to be detected as a debugger.

You never had this message from Couatl.exe BEFORE catching a virus, right ? This should be evidence the problem is related to that.

Every program with the exception of couatl.exe and is working as it did before.

This doesn't mean much, since not every program has anti-debugger checks.

I checked my FS9 installation and all cloud9/FSDT sceneries work normal.

That also doesn't mean much, since there's no Pyhton capabilities in FS9, and no Couatl.exe. If the program causing the problem attaches only to .exe files, it will not affect FS9, since we only have a .dll there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:33:49 pm by virtuali »

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:34 pm »
Umberto,

thanks for the help so far.

I have never had any issues with cloud9/FSDT files so far, the couatl thing occured after the virus/trojan attack.

Do you have any idea or recomandation how to detect this debugger or the interfering parts of it? Is there a program available that could search for it?

If I can´t remove it it seems the only way to fix is to rebuild the system which would take me ages......

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:04 pm »
Do you have any idea or recomandation how to detect this debugger or the interfering parts of it? Is there a program available that could search for it?

If you are lucky, perhaps the process will be visible in the Task Manager (enable the option to see all process, not just those started by your user account) and, by terminating those that looks either suspicious or unknown, maybe you'll find the right one.

However, some particularly nasty virus/trojans can't be seen in the Task manager and, in that case, I don't see much other options other than reinstalling the system from scratch.

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 01:38:08 pm »
Umberto,

if I understand it correct the couatl.exe is responsible for moving objects such as airport bridges, ground vehicles etc. For me it sounds like a competition product to Aerosoft´s AES which is stand-alone and not necessary for the appearance of buildings.

I made various tests and scans yesterday and it seems everything with the exception of couatl.exe is working without problems. For your information, this is the thing I caught:

http://www.fakealerts.com/rogue-antispyware-fake-alerts/remove-windows-recovery-malware-561.html

Is it possible to load the sceneries without couatl. exe but to have the buildings visible?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »
if I understand it correct the couatl.exe is responsible for moving objects such as airport bridges, ground vehicles etc. For me it sounds like a competition product to Aerosoft´s AES which is stand-alone and not necessary for the appearance of buildings.

That's only part of what it does, but it also displays the buildings of the scenery (not all of them, some of them are handled by the Addon Manager) so, it's required to see them.

I made various tests and scans yesterday and it seems everything with the exception of couatl.exe is working without problems

As I've said, fact that other products don't work, doesn't mean much because, if the virus is disguised itself as a debugger, only those products that checks its presence will be affected.

Since Couatl.exe worked on your system before you got the virus, the only possible explanation is something is still there.

MikeEDDK

• World of AI
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:32 pm »
Just wanted to report back.

The only way to get the application running again was a complete re-install of both the system and FSX.

Took me the whole week-end and the half day of today but it´s working like it should now. I´m ...............No more comment.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:18 am »
The only way to get the application running again was a complete re-install of both the system and FSX.

I'm sorry to hear that but, what fixed the problem was probably the whole system reinstall, which obviously got rid of any possible remaining trace of the virus.

I'd say that, after catching a virus, a system reinstall is something you have to expect to do, because even if it appears is running properly, other issues might have surfaced elsewhere, maybe not related to flight sim.

kityatyi

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
Hello all,

I have just purchased Flighbeam KSFO and when starting FSX I get the exact same popu window and error message. I am wondering if there is already a solution to this?

Thanks,
Andi

EasyE

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:29 am »
I already have every US/Hawaii airport you make as well as Flight Beams KSFO. Had no issues till today. Periodically I have missing buildings and have to do a reinstall of the standalone addon manager. Did that last night and now have the same error message. I've spent hundreds of dollars on these airports and now cannot use them. Its not a virus because others are experiencing the same issue only their post has been removed since last night. Whats the deal? I hope someone is going to take this problem seriously and figure out what is going on. Not just remove posts because they dont like what is being said about their product.

kityatyi

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:49 pm »
I didn't know that posts are being removed. I bought KSFO yesterday, installed and when first ran it, I immediately encountered the error message. What I noticed, however, is that the previous user posting above us, was continuously blamed that he had a virus, despite he clrealy stated he didn't have a virus. Also, he said he reinstalled the stuff and then it worked, and then he was told that the reinstall "killed" the virus... Come guys, don't be childish. We have a problem here, don't talk about viruses, it has nothing to do with any virus and you know it well. Get the problem fixed!