Author Topic: airport(s) disappearing after take off and before landing  (Read 5868 times)

webflighter

airport(s) disappearing after take off and before landing
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:43 am »
Dear all, I don't understand this in KJFK:

http://img403.imageshack.us/i/spariscetakeoff.jpg

and this in KORD:

http://img139.imageshack.us/i/landingk.jpg/

Can you let me to understand why I cannot see all the buildings? Is there something wrong in my installation activities or settings?
thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:18:56 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: airport(s) disappearing after take off and before landing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:43 am »
First, you are kindly invited to post screenshots according to the Screenshot posting rules here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3076.0

Which is why you post has been edited.

Next, the usual questions:

- do you have the current version of the sceneries ? If not, or not sure, download the current installers

- from your description of the problem, is not clear at all, if you are just not seeing the sceneries OR (which is entirely different) you see the sceneries when you start FSX, but they disappear after a while.

webflighter

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52:43 am »
How can I check the version?

The second one: after a while they disappear.

Thanks WF
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:20:06 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:08 pm »

It's indicated on the installer when it starts, current version for O'Hare it's 1.3.1 and JFK it's 1.2.1

If with "a while" you mean about 5-6 minutes, that seems quite normal: your scenery is still in Trial so, you need to activate it, using the "Register Serial" function with your Serial Number. The Addon Manager will of course indicate if a scenery is in Trial mode or if it's Active.

If, instead, with "a while" you mean another unspecified amount of time (seconds ? minutes ? hours ?), than it might be something else, providing your scenery lists as "Active".

webflighter

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

It's indicated on the installer when it starts, current version for O'Hare it's 1.3.1 and JFK it's 1.2.1

If with "a while" you mean about 5-6 minutes, that seems quite normal: your scenery is still in Trial so, you need to activate it, using the "Register Serial" function with your Serial Number. The Addon Manager will of course indicate if a scenery is in Trial mode or if it's Active.

If, instead, with "a while" you mean another unspecified amount of time (seconds ? minutes ? hours ?), than it might be something else, providing your scenery lists as "Active".

All of them (lszh, kjfk, kord) are paid and active as per addon manager. As you can easily see in my first picture it happens after some seconds, also in landing phase it is not possible to see airport buildings as soon as the plane is into the airport. It doesn't happen with other airport sceneries installed.

Can you provide me the procedure to reinstall them? I'll do a try.

Thanks WF
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:04:23 pm by webflighter »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:16:36 pm »
As you can easily see in my first picture it happens after some seconds

It's not possible to understand how much *time* the scenery takes to disappear since you started FSX, from your pictures, since it's not clear how much time it took to taxi and takeoff. Besides, the 1st picture shows your are at some distance from the airport.  Of course, since you said "after some seconds", I'm assuming you are referring to a time thing.

If, instead, you were referring to a *distance*, it's an entirely different matter, but it would helped if the screenshot contained coordinates, otherwise it's impossible to precisely assess your distance from the airport, especially at that zoom factor.

The scenery obviously has a loading range, which at JFK is kept quite low at 7.0 nm, and the range has been chosen precisely to be sure not to load JFK when you are flying over KLGA, in order not to slow down fps if you are landing at KLGA. So, if your picture was taken farther than 7.0 nm from the scenery of the airport, that's not a problem of the scenery, it's just how it supposed to behave: to disappear at 7.0 nm out.

If, instead, you were closer than that, then it's something different which, as I've said, can't be judged at all by the picture you posted.

also in landing phase it is not possible to see airport buildings as soon as the plane is into the airport.

You 2nd screenshot doesn't show anything unusual, since you have your buildings. Of course, not all buildings are displayed in the distance, the smallest one will only appear when going closer. Do you mean that the buildings that are shown there, will disappear entirely if you go *closer* ?

If yes, this has already been discussed on the forum, and it's due to the fact that you may have set FSX to run into a "XP Compatibility" mode under Vista or Win7. This is not how FSX install itself, and it's wrong, because the program is fully compatible with Vista/7 and the XP Compatibility mode, other than slowing it down, will create lots of side effects. If this is the case, turn the Compatibility mode OFF, which is how FSX install itself by default.

Can you provide me the procedure to reinstall them? I'll do a try.

There's no special procedure, other then uninstall the scenery, like any other Windows program, from the Windows Control Panel, then install it using the current installer. However, check the Compatibility thing first.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:34:31 pm by virtuali »

webflighter

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »
The scenery obviously has a loading range, which at JFK is kept quite low at 7.0 nm, and the range has been chosen precisely to be sure not to load JFK when you are flying over KLGA, in order not to slow down fps if you are landing at KLGA. So, if your picture was taken farther than 7.0 nm from the scenery of the airport, that's not a problem of the scenery, it's just how it supposed to behave: to disappear at 7.0 nm out.

is it possible to modify this and put another value? or maintain 7, but at least to leave some buldings and not the details?

what about KORD and LSZH, wich loading range value have they received?

check the Compatibility thing first.

no problem on this matter

thanks
WF

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »
is it possible to modify this and put another value? or maintain 7, but at least to leave some buldings and not the details?

No, it's programmed in the scenery objects, and it needs to stay like this, because it also prevent the risk of going Ouf of Memory with the most complex airplanes, since JFK lies in a very difficult area, both because Manhattan is very memory consuming, but also because of the close proximity of the other big airports, like LGA and EWR

what about KORD and LSZH, wich loading range value have they received?

A bit larger, both are 10.0 nm