Author Topic: Creating Carriers in "Free Flight".  (Read 22786 times)

SUBS17

Re: Creating Carriers in "Free Flight".
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 05:24:13 am »
That looks great I don't seem to be able to download it though.

Cpt_AaronB

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 05:27:16 am »
Click on the wording "USS John F Kenndy CV67 V1.2:" is compressed into a zip file.

BMF

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »
Hiya microbrewst! I've been following your directions to creating the carriers but when I clicked alt, no 'Tools' option came up. Wondering if you can help.

Kind Regards,

BMF.

SUBS17

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 06:01:32 pm »
Click on the wording "USS John F Kenndy CV67 V1.2:" is compressed into a zip file.

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight.

micro

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 01:10:02 am »
Actually BMF and Leprechaun, I don't think you did anything wrong. I actually had to a little bit of re-writing to get the thing to work. It all hinges on your dll.xml file. It tells FSX what "add-ons" to use. Try this:

Make sure you can view "hidden files".

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\"Owner"\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

In there you will see the dll.xml file.

Make a copy if it and save it to your desktop. This way if something goes wrong later you can fix it.

Right-click on the original and open it with Wordpad.

You will see something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
   <Descr>Launch</Descr>
   <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
   <Disabled>False</Disabled>
   <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
      <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
      <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
      <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
      <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon><Name>FS Recorder Module</Name><Disabled>False</Disabled><ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad><Path>C:\Program Files\FS Recorder for FSX\RecorderFSX.dll</Path></Launch.Addon></SimBase.Document>

In fact you should see exactly that. So, having made a backup copy of the dll.xml to your desktop, Cut and Paste the text above to replace the text in the original dll.xml. Save it and close it out. Then go fly in FSX and see if you get the "Tools" option.

If not, replace the copy of the original dll.xml that you have on your desktop back into its original folder.

Disclaimer: I'm not a "computer guy", just a guy who spends A LOT of time in hotels.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:17:33 am by microbrewst »

Leprechaun

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 06:23:59 am »
Thanks Micro.  That worked.  I really appreciate your help on this. 

Cpt_AaronB

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 07:59:15 am »
Ok I gave this a try....cool little trick but there are four problems w/ from what I tell:

1. This is only temporary and cannot be shared w/ friends
2. You have to have acceleration
3. ATC cannot be ran off of it
4. There are not radar vectors

As a temporary way of doing this it is great. This is why we have done it the way we have, to overcome there are four problems. You way is a very cool way of putting a carrier anywhere in the world you like very quickly in single player, but in a MP situation it has faults. Personally I look at the MP side much closer because that is how I do 99% of my flights. The real ATC is much more true to life than pushing a button w/ predetermined read backs. Like I said this is a cool trick for a quick single player.

micro

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 08:44:49 am »
Yep. That's why it says "Free Flight" and not "MP" ::)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:20 am »
The next time you fly in FSXA you should see a "Tools" option when you click "ALT" for the Menu Bar. (If not PM me).

sooo i finally bought my copy of fsx deluxe and guess what... no "tools" option on the menu bar  :-[

SUBS17

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 03:09:11 am »
Did you install the SDK?

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:54 am »
lol of course

Great Ozzie

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 09:48:42 am »
Make sure you read this: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)

You have to have the "right" SDK for the FSX version you are using.

And you may need to edit your dll.xml so that it looks like this (for that section of the .xml):

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
    <Disabled>True</Disabled>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

If your a person who has done some programming in the past and having spent a few hours attempting to work with the SDK, you may come to the same conclusion I did:  It would be far easier (and much less stressful) to bribe someone to do the work for you. :-P

Rob O.

Great Ozzie

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 09:54:55 am »
LOL... that may be the wrong section btw... but I do remember editing something somewhere in that file as per a FSInsider post or a Phil Taylor blog to get the tools menu to appear.

Rob O.

reider

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration (inc SP1 and SP2).  We were led to believe that we should be using the new downloadable SDK SP2 and ditch the Acceleration only version.  I did this and lost the tools in the file menu once again, like we did after SP1.  The layout of the dll.xml was spot on, this is once again a problem with SimConnect in this instance.  Though, for some the third party software/aircraft do sometimes corrupt the file.  So, I uninstalled the SDK entirely, reinstalled the base SDK, SP1a and the Acceleration version of the SDK.  Tools are now back in the menu.  I don`t know if it will work using the SDK SP2 for none Acceleration users but in theory it should......

Reider