Author Topic: Suggestion: Show only installed products on the Universal Installer  (Read 535 times)

Er!k

Hi Umberto, I have a small request for the Universal Installer. Would it be possible to add a toggle/switch to only show the products you have installed? Now I have to go through a long list of products before I find the correct one.

Thanks for considering!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 08:19:38 pm by Er!k »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Suggestion: Show only installed products on the Universal Installer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 01:13:34 am »
You know what's one of the most common questions asked to support email ( please understand that forum users are usually way more expert than user that use email, which are the majority   ).

After the most popular ones, which are:

- "how to I retrieve my key" when there's a FAQ page and a "Get Your keys" button in the installer both pointing to the Self-Help site that does that.

- "why my download has expired" when our purchase receipts clearly explains the FSDT Installer is always freely available here so it's not a problem if expires on Digital River

- "how I can reactivate" when the same Self-Help site as a "Deactivate license" option on the same page where you retrieve your keys.

The NEXT most popular one is:

- "I'm getting an invalid key installing GSX Pro".

This is ALWAYS caused by users who just bought GSX Pro, inadvertently clicked the "switch" to HIDE all MSFS products (that one that says "click here to HIDE products" ), not noticing the button now says "products are HIDDEN", so with only FSX/P3D products displayed, they are trying to activate GSX for FSX/P3D with their GSX Pro key.

This question comes up basically every day so, while is not as popular as the top 3, is surely right there in popularity.

So, if we had another switch to hide products which are not installed, considering all this past experience, I'm fairly sure we would have a NEW popular question, from users that just bought something, inadvertently clicking this new "switch" that might say "click here to HIDE products not installed", not noticing its label changing into a "products not installed are HIDDEN", and asking support how they can install the thing they just bought, because it's just not there.

That's coming from actual experience so, while I understand that, for users that KNOW how the installer works, it might take just a few extra moments to find a product you need to look for, the risk of having another "kill switch" similar to the one to hide products for another simulator (note that, to even see the FSX/P3D products, you must have the simulator installer, it's not as if we display things for a simulator you don't even have), is very real and not only if will surely got another chance to increase the burden of support, but it will be also another chance to make first time users experience worse.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 01:17:22 am by virtuali »