Author Topic: reset  (Read 1059 times)

generaldaddio

reset
« on: July 04, 2023, 05:03:03 am »
i did a windows reset and it said it would not erase any of my personal documents, it erased all kind stuff. how can i restore addon manager folder? thnx

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: reset
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 09:05:22 pm »
Please clarify which simulator you are referring to.

generaldaddio

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 09:49:34 am »
 I am using p3dv5.4 sorry late response.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 05:22:32 pm »
I think what happened is you must haven't fully understood the type of reset you chose. There are 3 different reset types:

- A complete reset, which will remove everything, Apps and personal files and documents.

- One that will keep your personal files, but will REMOVE APPS. Apps are not considered your personal files, because it's assumed you only need to reinstall their installer. This is what you likely have chosen.

- One that won't reset anything, it will just reinstall Windows but keeping APPS and your personal files intact. It's also called as "install in place"

That's not really a big issue, since all our installers for P3D are always freely available here, just download each installer for every product you have, and choose the same destination folder for the Addon Manager as before.

bcm652

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 06:13:59 pm »
If I could offer a suggestion. I'm kind of Leary about using Windows reset options. So I will run /scannow or DISM first and that usually works for me. JMHO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 06:18:13 pm »
If I could offer a suggestion. I'm kind of Leary about using Windows reset options. So I will run /scannow or DISM first and that usually works for me. JMHO.

My brand new Windows 11 laptop went stuck with endless updates, it's a very well known issue of windows updates completed but not entirely, so you'll get the "applying updates" message over and over on each startup, lasting minutes.

Tried *EVERYTHING*, cleaning every update folder while booting in Windows Safe mode, SFC /scannow, all foul combinations of DISM I could possibly found online, nothing helped. After a week or so of trying everything, I decided to give the "Install in place" feature a go, and it worked.

bcm652

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 10:27:08 pm »
I had heard a few bad things about Win 11, so I didn't upgrade and stayed with Win 10 and have not had any problems, my GSX2 and FSX still running fine.
By the way, Dell Computers will offer Win 10 as an optional operating system on their new built desktop computers with a credit to upgrade to Win 11. Don't know about laptops, but could be negotiated.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 10:29:34 pm by bcm652 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 11:01:55 am »
By the way, Dell Computers will offer Win 10 as an optional operating system on their new built desktop computers with a credit to upgrade to Win 11. Don't know about laptops, but could be negotiated.

My laptop will have to stay with Windows 11, regardless of the fact I think Windows 10 was better (mostly from an UI point of view), because I needed a separate system with Windows 11, to be sure our stuff works with both OS and be able to verify first hand any possible issues.

bcm652

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 07:46:57 pm »
You still have the option to set up dual operating systems with windows 10 on your laptop.
But like the old saying goes, ''keep it simple,''
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 10:15:56 pm by bcm652 »