Author Topic: With SU10 Navdata API option on, I must restart couatl after landing every time  (Read 5051 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I've tried this Umberto, and it didn't seem to help. Using Windows 11, I think there's some other security setting that I need to adjust to allow the app to run without being automatically shut down. Do you have any additional thoughts or suggestions

You mean you tried *both* ( I need to ask, because you quoted two things and said "I tried this" ) ?

If yes, there are no other suggestions I can offer because, as I've said, I was never able to replicate the crash in flight, so I am only reporting what other users said it fixed the problem for them so, if other suggestions come, I'll add them to my list next time somebody will ask.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I've merged the two identical threads, and copied again what's the latest list of possible fixes:

- Be absolutely sure the antivirus is configured with the WHOLE Addon Manager folder added to its Exclusions.

- Changing the properties for the Couatl64_MSFS.exe to run "As Adminstrator"

- Enable "Windows 8 Compatibility" for the EXE, in the same page.

- Disabling DEP for the process, as explained here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,28908.msg188612.html#msg188612

I cannot vouch if any of these is valid, because I was never able to replicate the crash to begin with, I'm only reporting what other users posted.

moxiejeff

So these are just PRELIMINARY results -- my Couatl was crashing every flight before approach.

Per Umberto's suggestions, I've made the program run always as an administrator, including the entire GSX folder in my Norton anti-virus as an exclusion, and checked the Couatl app to be Windows 8 compliant.

As of just 1 day, my Couatl engine has NOT crashed. Hoping this is a fix!!! Will report more soon.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Per Umberto's suggestions, I've made the program run always as an administrator, including the entire GSX folder in my Norton anti-virus as an exclusion, and checked the Couatl app to be Windows 8 compliant.

It's difficult to say which of these really fixed it, because there are several changes applied to it at the same time but:

- running as administrator should be useful only if your user account has limited permissions, otherwise there shouldn't be any differences, and surely not happening some time during the flight.

- Windows 8 compatibility: this one is the most puzzling one, since nobody at FSDT ever used Windows 8 in years, we all use the latest Visual Studio updates for Windows 10 so, I don't understand why setting Windows 8 compatibility could improve things.

- Antivirus: this seems the most likely: since reports of crashes are during flight, and during flight the program communicates with the sim through Simconnect, which at the low level is like a file in memory ( "Named pipes"  it's the technical term ), it's possible an antivirus might mistakenly flag this as a "suspicious" file activity, so it blocks it. This is also the one that fits better with reports of crashes in flight, which is where our program does less, since it doesn't do anything other than periodically asking to the sim using Simconnect, which airports are around you, so it's far less complex and demanding compared to what it does on ground when servicing, when instead is very solid.

I use Windows Defender, and it's configured as follow:

- The whole Addon Manager folder Excluded

- The whole MSFS Content (Official + Community) Excluded

- The Flightsimulator.exe process Excluded

Of course, there's another possible issue, and it's just problems with the SU10 Navdata API itself. I don't know if there are other apps that use it now, but I'm sure GSX was the first one using it and since it's new, it's possible it might have issues because, all logs I saw from users with a crash, had the log stopped while GSX was getting the updated list of nearby airports.

andyivey

So I've done two successful flights now with GSX not needing to be restarted. I had previously added virus scanner exclusions but that didn't help. What did help is Windows 8 Compatibility Mode.

I think the secret to this mode is not "Windows 8" but rather that it's not behaving like "Windows 11" - I would wager that most of the people having problems with GSX crashing before approach are on Windows 11. For now I am content that this fixes the problem.

I will, however, run one more test with Windows 8 mode turned on and removing the anti-virus exclusion to see if both are required or if Windows 8 mode alone resolves the problem.

Gerwil

I will, however, run one more test with Windows 8 mode turned on and removing the anti-virus exclusion to see if both are required or if Windows 8 mode alone resolves the problem.

You only need W8 compatibility mode nothing else, to keep Coatl running. Looks like it forces windows into a more helpful approach instead of terminating the process. I am on W10.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 03:58:24 pm by Gerwil »

andyivey

You only need W8 compatibility mode nothing else, to keep Coatl running. Looks like it forces windows into a more helpful approach instead of terminating the process. I am on W10.

I'm hoping to try this myself today! You're the first person I've heard on Windows 10 with this issue. Very interesting.

danhenri

Hello,

Just a few words to say that for me, this issue has gone by running MSFS (not GSX) as administrator every time I launch it (it doesn't work if the option "run as administrator" is set in the Windows properties menu, I don't know why...).

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 07:42:57 pm by danhenri »

Seth2413

Been running MSFS as admininstrator since day dot and ive had this issue with GSX lately as well and cant resolve unless I restart couatl which is also in admin mode and now win8 compability mode so will see if that helps.  This is a shockingly bad piece of payware programming if you have to keep changing all these things and basically be a computer programmer just to get it to work. Just sayin!

andyivey

Been running MSFS as admininstrator since day dot and ive had this issue with GSX lately as well and cant resolve unless I restart couatl which is also in admin mode and now win8 compability mode so will see if that helps.  This is a shockingly bad piece of payware programming if you have to keep changing all these things and basically be a computer programmer just to get it to work. Just sayin!

I'd hardly call checking some boxes "programming" but you're welcome to your opinion. The Developer is on this forum every day helping people work through issues so I'd say whatever it lacks in issues is more than made up for by the level of personal support given. Hopefully you'll be able to undo all those checkboxes and have success with just Win8 Compatibility mode.

andyivey

@Umberto - Confirmed definitively that GSX does not crash when Windows 8 Compatibility mode is turned on and without anti-virus exclusion

TootY

What does the SU10 option actually do and what do you lose if unticked?

I've never ticked it until recently and noticed the random crashing once I've departed my airport which requires loading it up again once landed (which isn't really a problem)

andyivey

I've never ticked it until recently and noticed the random crashing once I've departed my airport which requires loading it up again once landed (which isn't really a problem)

It allows GSX to read the BGL data for any airport regardless of whether it's encrypted (purchased on MSFS In-Game store) or not. This means you don't have to edit the .ini file to set the AFCAD location.

TootY

It allows GSX to read the BGL data for any airport regardless of whether it's encrypted (purchased on MSFS In-Game store) or not. This means you don't have to edit the .ini file to set the AFCAD location.

So does this only apply to airports purchased from the MS marketplace?

andyivey

So does this only apply to airports purchased from the MS marketplace?

No - It applies to all 3rd party airports