Author Topic: How to make the worse possible weather...  (Read 7676 times)

vandy12

How to make the worse possible weather...
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:52:33 pm »
Isn't it great to be able to do in a flight sim what you would not want to attempt in real life. That being said,
I've tried to take many of the aircraft to extremes like I'm sure many have.

Now it is the weather. I was thinking, if you could fly in the worse weather possible, then you could fly in 
any weather condition. So how do you make the weather the worse possible weather in FSX?

I've gone to the user defined weather and put everything on high: clouds, precipitation, most limited vis, and top wind speed in
dark of night.

I've noticed the plane does not get jossled around much. It seems to me even with all the user-defined weather at highest
settings, the plane STILL does not get thrown around as much as it does in the "Major Thunderstorm" setting. If there was just a way
to add both of these settings together to get the ultimate worse weather possible. Really fun to fly thru really bad weather just
to see if you can make it to the ground. Anyone can land in the no-wind sunshine.

Anyone have any special settings for really bad weather? Is there some other way to adjust the weather besides picking the pre-determined
weather themes or using the limited customizing features?

Vandy

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Re: How to make the worse possible weather...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »
Hi Vandy,

It is certainly possible to get the effects you are talking about.

Here's a couple of pointers though to make sure you actually get what you think you are setting:

• A useful start point is, on the pre-flight Weather screen, select the Major Thunderstorm Weather Theme and click OK
  • Then immediately go back into the Weather screen and select User-defined Weather, and click the Customise button, and then the Advanced button.

These first two steps will set your Custom settings up with a copy of the Major Thunderstorm settings. Then...

• First thing to check is that your Custom weather applies to "all weather stations". That will make sure you don't fly outside of your custom weather zone.
  • Next, be aware that the weather settings you make from the drop down boxes only apply to the altitude windows that you've got selected on the left hand altitude chart. Each altitude "zone" has potentially different weather associated with it, so be aware it is also possible to fly outside your custom settings there too.
  • Lastly, make sure that, in both your Clouds and Wind sections, you set Severe Turbulence and Severe Windshear. Doublecheck that you are applying these settings to all your altitude zones.

If you do the above methodically, you'll find that you can nearly rip the wings off a 747, and easily hurl a C172 into the trees before you clear the threshold...LOL!

Also bear in mind the heavy iron will ride out a lot of turbulence much better than the small, single-seaters!

Hope this helps
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:08:26 am »
Perhaps there is a good reason why aircraft avoid thunderstorms and stop flying in bad weather at base with no alternates etc? But hey you can walk away from anything in FSX. Right? ? :-)
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

skimmer

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:17 pm »
Those are great setting for severe weather all right. I like to add to (cloud density) for near zero visibility. Its in the display settings, weather,cloud density. I would expect a hit on fps though. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:23:37 am by skimmer »