Author Topic: FSDT airports - Zurich problem  (Read 1754 times)

Flightdoc

FSDT airports - Zurich problem
« on: August 25, 2022, 08:49:58 pm »
So I spawned to Gate E28 at Zurich and requested boarding. First I tried in the FLybywire A320. In this case the rear stairs pulled up and the jetway connected. Baggage loaders showed up. Sounds of passengers but could not see any through the transparent jetway.

Second try I used the default Asobo A320. I requested boarding and in this case aft stairs were pulled up but no jetway connection. Baggage loaders started working. No passengers seen anywhere. Loaders finished and left, rear stairs pulled away. The jetway never connected.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:56:42 pm by len hjalmarson »
Flightdoc

hmsilven

Re: FSDT airports - Zurich problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:02:08 pm »
I am flying exclusively from Zürich and noticed that I need to click on exclude 3rd parties in the FSDT installer GSX config to make the airport work properly with GSX. Although the airport looks like it's already excluded, the exclusion function finds always one more entry when I run it and removes it.

Flightdoc

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:45:27 pm »
I have the Zurich made BY FSDT - surely things should work perfectly at their own airport? I just ran LIVE UPDATE so I'll see if anything has changed...
Flightdoc

Turok144

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:02:11 pm »
I just tested GSX Pro at the FSDT Zurich airport. Upon landing, I chose a random apron with jetway. The  jetway was unresponsive and the passengers walked in the air in the direction of the jetway.

I then tried an available parking spot from the GSX dropdown, I warped to that location (A15) and the jetway, passenger animation was flawless.  I used the PMDG 737-700.  It looks like some jetways work well, while others clearly do not.  You may want to try A15 since I verified that it worked,  If it doesn't, try the same jetway with a different airframe.

Flightdoc

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 11:15:48 pm »
Weird - but thanks, I'll try A15. Do I have to bribe the airport manager to reserve that spot  ;)
Flightdoc

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 11:27:42 pm »
I think you really need to understand how jetway works (or not) and how GSX works.

- Jetways in any scenery for MSFS ALL uses the exact same system of default jetways from Asobo/Microsoft. Zurich is no different, it comes with its own custom Jetways, which are custom models using the default animation system.

- Installing GSX won't change anything to the way Jetways works, it will only change how Jetways LOOKS. Their bugs will still be the same bugs as the default ones, and of every other scenery out there that use jetways.

- Installing GSX at Zurich won't change *anything* to how Jeways will work there, and won't even change how they'll look because, when you install GSX, all FSDT airports you have installed will be automatically excluded from jetway replacement, so they'll work ( or not ) exactly as they did before, with all issues and bugs of the default system, just like they always did.

The issue is, *because* GSX and the passengers, you are just more likely to NOTICE issues with jetways which were always there, which are all issues with the default system.

About passengers floating in the air, assuming the jetway docked on the right door (which using the default system is not even taken for granted, since they dock wherever they can, even on the catering door sometimes), it's possible you experienced a longstanding bug which has been reported to Asobo as far as one year ago, and as today is still not fixed.

This was the original thread, which illustrates the exact same issue you are having (jetway reportedly connected, but visibly not)

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/1695/su5-incorrect-ik-animation-behavior-for-asobo-jetw.html

Another thread, started by DrzewieckiDesign:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/4807/lods-of-animated-objects-are-not-synced.html

This recent thread I opened myself, soliciting a solution:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/9771/some-longstanding-jetways-issues.html

This is only the first part of the problem.

The other part is, when the jetway docks in absurd places, like the service door or the rear passenger door, there's no way with the SDK to KNOW *where* the jetway docked. We only know the initial position, but there's no way in the SDK to know where it ended after it was extended, we had to do some sort of workaround to imply, from the jetway hood variables, the jetway should have docked somewhere, because the hood is at least partially extended but, we don't have any means to check *where*, it might be on any door.

If we could possibly *know* which door the jetway docked to, or at least where it is, it would be extremely easy to create the correct waypoints for it, that's what we did in P3D where we had SODE, which was a completely custom system that we had almost complete control over which jetway docks where, its precise positions, etc.  There's nothing like that in MSFS, the SDK doesn't help us at all, we can only HOPE the user would park the plane in a position where only the main exit will dock, assume that is the case, and calculate the passenger path based on that assumption.

If that's not the case, passengers will fly up in the air, I have no idea how this could be possibly fixed, unless after having docked the jetway, we display ASKING the user *where* the jetway went, which sounds a bit silly, but it might work in these cases.

What you CAN do, in GSX, to improve this, is to use the parking customization and edit the STOP position so you'll end up in a place where only the main passenger door will be used by the jetway. The parking customization has a TEST function ( NumPad5 ), which will just call the jetway immediately, so you can check if that position gets a proper docking on the right door.

I know it's clunky and it's primitive, but that's the best we could do with what the SDK is giving us. If these were the good old days of FSX, I would have already hacked by brute force directly in memory to find the information I need, but that's a no-no with MSFS, all the modern DRM anti-cheat and antivirus stuff would immediately red flag everything, so we are not even going to try that. Hopefully, someday we'll have SODE, and everything will be perfect again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:30:46 pm by virtuali »

Jimbo1781

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 08:38:15 pm »
Hello, query, I would like to know why I do not see more jetways options on my GSX Pro, I have seen videos where they have several options, however, I have not been able to change this, I hope your support and guidance in this regard, attached image example of the airport of Lima - Peru SPJC, thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 02:56:47 pm »
Hello, query, I would like to know why I do not see more jetways options on my GSX Pro, I have seen videos where they have several options, however, I have not been able to change this, I hope your support and guidance in this regard, attached image example of the airport of Lima - Peru SPJC, thank you.

You must have seen a video made for FSX or P3D, where we had SODE, that allowed to have more than one Jetway on a parking spot, and since in FSX/P3D we created jetways independently from the simulator, we also had extensive customization features.

In MSFS, there's no SODE, we use the simulator own system, which only allows one jetway at most on each parking, and the jetway replacement is done through a set of pre-made .BGLs, since they cannot be created on the fly, like we did with FSX/P3D. So, it's entirely normal you won't see any options related to jetways.