Author Topic: new install issues with logos and jetway numbers  (Read 2704 times)

DVA12924

new install issues with logos and jetway numbers
« on: August 10, 2020, 12:58:40 pm »
I had to do a full reinstall of Windows, P3D (only installed v5 this time) and all addons including GSX/L2. When I finally got everything reinstalled and updated, and could begin rebuilding my GSX library, I found that when I add a jetway to a gate, the logo option is a box (instead of a checkmark/no checkmark) and in the list, there is a bunch of "--default--" with no image. For the jetway number, the option is the same as the logo (black box instead of checkmark/no checkmark) and it will not show the jetway number even after editing and applying. This is while either selecting 1 single gate, or more than 1 gate.

I've run Live Update and nothing new was updated. Is there an option somewhere that needs to be checked? RTT is enabled. I do notice that "jetwaynumber_preview.png" is missing from the new install. This was installed using the newest installer (1 week ago downloaded) directly from FSDT/GSX website.

I am not sure if this is caused by not having some redistributable files missing (older ones that Windows 10 would not have installed and are not automatically installed by programs) or if I need to fully reinstall GSX again in hopes of fixing the issue.

https://prnt.sc/tx35ae -- single gate (gate 3) selected, but Logo and Gate number show a black box (like if 2 or more gates selected with different options between them)
https://prnt.sc/tx3614 -- jetway logo giving a long list of "default" with no preview picture

I'm made changes and applied them many times and every time I reopen GSX to customize the position, or restart the sim, it goes back to this same setting

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: new install issues with logos and jetway numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 08:09:00 pm »
P3D V5 is your problem. Render to texture isn't available at the moment for V5 since they need to work on it to make it work with DX12, so it won't show up in V5 at the present time.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23351.0.html

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23304.msg155949.html#msg155949
Captain Kevin

DVA12924

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:14:48 pm »
Ahh. Perfect! I just wanted to make sure it’s wasn’t something with my system. It’s so easy to look over 1 C++ and then half the features don’t work anymore lol. Thanks for the reply!

I seem to remember feeling Umbertos pain when v5 came out about this issue lol. I’m sorry! I didn’t retain the info from back then, and I think I assumed since time had passed that the issue was resolved.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:56:06 pm by DVA12924 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:59:06 pm »
I seem to remember feeling Umbertos pain when v5 came out about this issue lol. I’m sorry! I didn’t retain the info from back then, and I think I assumed since time had passed that the issue was resolved.

Just to give some perspective on the issue:

- MSFS is going to be DX11, at least initially. You might assume MS would like to use their new sim as a showcase for DX12, yet it seems they are taking a rather cautions approach, putting stability over perforamance.

- DX12 is great, but is so different, and it leaves much of the responsibility of managing video memory to the app developer. This was a task which was handled by drivers, and I'm sure both AMD and nVidia have an army of programmers not doing anything else than writing, testing and optimizing drivers, with thousands of games and millions of user reports.

We are really not confident digging into it, unless we'll be sure the simulator *itself* will be rock-solid, lest anyone assume "GSX crashed my video card", since meddling with DX12 directly CAN cause troubles, if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:31:42 pm by virtuali »

DVA12924

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

Just to give some perspective on the issue:

- MSFS is going to be DX11, at least initially. You might assume MS would like to use their sim as a showcase for DX12, yet it seems they are taking a rather cautions approach, putting stability over perforamance.

- DX12 is great, but is so different, and it leaves much of the responsibility of managing video memory to the app developer. This was a task which was handled by drivers, and I'm sure both AMD and nVidia have an army of programmers not doing anything else than writing, testing and optimizing drivers, with thousands of games and millions of user reports.

We are really not confident digging into it, unless we'll be sure the simulator *itself* will be rock-solid, lest anyone assume "GSX crashed by video card", since meddling with DX12 direct CAN cause troubles, if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing.

Completely understandable. These are changing time all around! GSX still works perfectly, even without the additional eye candy of the jetway number and logos. The purpose and functionality of the program remains and that’s all that really matters :) thanks for your never ending support and updates!