Author Topic: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz  (Read 63136 times)

GOONIE

Re: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
Orion, thanks for adding a tanker to the mission. Carrier landing is tough, but trying to air to air refuel in FSX is extremely challenging.

I had a question which might help everyone here who seems to want a different type of tanker in the air. Can we modify the aircraft ourself once we download your multiplayer mission files? Is it an easy change to the code, or folder for which the mission looks up for the tanker aircraft? So if the mission file wants to load the default 737, can we put an F/a-18 or S-3, or whatever we want and call it the default 737  in that file so it displays that aircraft in the mission? Just a thought. I know you can't please everyone, but if you gave us some insight on how to do this (load the aircaft of our choice) or just let us know this is impossible that would be great.

Thanks for all the hard work and looking forward to flying the multiplayer mission!  ;D
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Razgriz

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:13 am »
Its the Super Hornets that can carry the Buddy Tank.  Those are the first-up, last to land.  Always.

Well, legacy hornets or rhino's can both buddy tank.  With the Super Hornets around, they usually fill the role, but both are capable.

Oh, I thought it was only the rhino.  Thanks for the heads up.

Orion

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 01:39:33 am »
Orion, thanks for adding a tanker to the mission. Carrier landing is tough, but trying to air to air refuel in FSX is extremely challenging.

I had a question which might help everyone here who seems to want a different type of tanker in the air. Can we modify the aircraft ourself once we download your multiplayer mission files? Is it an easy change to the code, or folder for which the mission looks up for the tanker aircraft? So if the mission file wants to load the default 737, can we put an F/a-18 or S-3, or whatever we want and call it the default 737  in that file so it displays that aircraft in the mission? Just a thought. I know you can't please everyone, but if you gave us some insight on how to do this (load the aircaft of our choice) or just let us know this is impossible that would be great.

Thanks for all the hard work and looking forward to flying the multiplayer mission!  ;D
My pleasure :).

In a word, no.  There are several reasons for this.  I'll list them out below, starting with the most important.

1. Incompatibility.  FSX will throw an error at you if your mission files are different from the host's files and won't allow you to join the session.
2. Other variables.  Without going into too much detail, there are other parts of the mission that depend on the tanker, so those would have to be changed as well.
3. Hard to edit.  Unless you have the Object Placement Tool from the FSX SDK and a tool to decompile a mission SPB (Sim-Prop Binary) file, you'll have a hard time to edit it.  Even if you do manage to, there'll be incompatibility issues with other players (see point one).
4. Editing the aircraft itself.  If you do edit the aircraft.cfg to trick FSX into thinking your aircraft is the 737, it won't work because there are other variables in the mission that are dependant on the 737 (see point two).

Intrepid

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 02:12:28 am »
Intrepid, Today with only Hornet / Super Hornets mix of aircraft onboard I'm told that a Hornet or Super (which can carry more fuel) would be a buddy tanker - 'first off' 'last back' to be the refueller if needed. But I understand the requirement for the work in FSX to be simple at moment.

thanks for the feedback you guys,(Spazsinbad, Razgriz, ESzczesniak) I stand corrected,,my thinking is based a little futher back in time than I want to admit sometimes
Orion,, You deserve special thanks ,Your work has also added to the level of enjoyment for many ,many simmers
My hats off to you Sir ;D
Randy

GOONIE

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2009, 03:41:45 am »
Thanks Orion for the response, looking forward to the release  ;D
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2009, 03:39:44 am »
Thanks guys, and really, no need to call me Sir.  I'm only fourteen :P.

Okay, now this time, really the only things left are graphics, reward and documentation.  Well, the rewards are fine, it's just they need some minor revision :P.

Here are some teasers for you guys ;):

Edit: Ehh, couldn't resist another teaser on the rewards, so here you are :P:

(postcard angle to be revised)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:46:52 am by Orion »

Razgriz

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2009, 03:49:19 am »
Why are we always in the Blue Angels F/A-18s?  I say put some USMC and USNavy skins in there.

Orion

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2009, 03:54:36 am »
What are you complaining about?  You have always been able to select your own aircraft in my existing mission, and you will still be able to in this upcoming mission...

From my existing mission:

Once you are in the Briefing Room, click "Change Role or Aircraft".

You should then arrive at this page.  From there, click "Change..." and the window for selecting aircraft should come up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:59:14 am by Orion »

Intrepid

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2009, 04:36:46 am »
Thanks guys, and really, no need to call me Sir.  I'm only fourteen :P.

Well I Am 47( dont tell anybody  ::)Young Man and 14 or not,, I am Impressed  You Deserve respect and recognition for all your hard work
I have added you to my list of sim Hero's ;D
THANK You
Randy

Razgriz

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:04 am »
What are you complaining about?  You have always been able to select your own aircraft in my existing mission, and you will still be able to in this upcoming mission...

From my existing mission:

Once you are in the Briefing Room, click "Change Role or Aircraft".

You should then arrive at this page.  From there, click "Change..." and the window for selecting aircraft should come up.

Oh.  I see. :P

neutrino

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:37 am »
Why are we always in the Blue Angels F/A-18s?  I say put some USMC and USNavy skins in there.

There you go - that's from Orion's new mission (beta) - I tried the air refueling yesterday, I hope he doesn't mind me posting it  ;D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:02:21 am by neutrino »

Intrepid

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »
Why are we always in the Blue Angels F/A-18s?  I say put some USMC and USNavy skins in there.

There you go - that's from Orion's new mission (beta) - I tried the air refueling yesterday, I hope he doesn't mind me posting it  ;D

SWEEEET

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »
Carrier Circuit F/A-18A/B/C/D NATOPS diagram:
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Pop

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
A question that always come up is " what is the downwind and speed for landing?".  As the pci above showes, there is NONE! It is "ON SPEED"- the donut!!! Speed will vary as to wt!  ;D

Orion

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2009, 08:23:33 am »
Thanks Randy :), :P Duncan, and nice screenshot Jivko ;).

I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up to let you know that I'm still planning on releasing before Christmas, most likely around the 20th.  Currently I'm just finishing up on the documentation and readme.

I've still got graphics to recieve from someone who's helping me and still have to get it packaged into an installer, though.

Edit: Documentation is now done, just waiting on graphic dependent things...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:53:46 am by Orion »