Author Topic: can someone help  (Read 12128 times)

jared15

can someone help
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:14 am »
ok seeing that no one has responded to my other post i guess i will try here.

i am kinda a newb when it comes to this stuff so please bare with me.

i have purchased KJFK (totally amazing btw) and i am a bit confused. every time i have landed there in a delta 737-800 i am sent to either the wrong terminal, a gate that is too small for that aircraft (ie. a gate for a CRJ or A319 (jet blue terminal) , or both. this has also happened while i am in a 767-300. also i am never directed to any of the gates equiped with the ParkMe. so i am just curious on how to resolve this issue.

i appreciate all the help.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: can someone help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:46:31 am »
Unfortunately there is no way to get the stock FSX ATC to direct you to a certain gate. You will have to either not contact ground ATC or ignore them if you already contacted them and just taxi to the gate you want. If you buy AES you can get a follow me car to the gate number you wish, but that is independent from FSX's ATC.

This happens to me all the time at all airports. If I am flying a Delta livery into KFLL and want to park at the Delta gates chances are FSX's ATC won't direct me there, so I have to just taxi to the gate I want and ignore ATC.

KingCat

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:38 pm »
One thing you can try is changing the gate radius in the AFCAD of the gate you want to park your aircraft to a size that just fits your aircraft. ATC always directs you to the smallest gate that fits your aircraft. This is a bit of trial and error, but this trick always worked in FS9 when using default ATC. I don't know if this also works is FSX, but you could try. In FS9 I used Lee Swordy's program AFCAD for editing. There are several alternatives of this program available for FSX.

If an AI-aircraft has already occupied your "prepared gate", then ATC will still direct you to another gate. So, besides changing the gate radius, it's also a good idea to remove any parking codes associated with your "prepared gate", so that AI-aircraft don't park there (at least chances are a lot smaller then).

Jon
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:15:32 pm by KingCat »

jared15

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:12 pm »
what do you mean change the parking codes???

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:52:13 pm »
If I am flying a Delta livery into KFLL and want to park at the Delta gates chances are FSX's ATC won't direct me there, so I have to just taxi to the gate I want and ignore ATC.

The only problem with that strategy is you're likely to find your desired gate already occupied, and having to hold position until an aircraft pulls out.  Virtual passengers get cranky, just like real ones.  ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

jared15

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:44:59 pm »
yea but real passengers u have to deal with. oh btw does anyone know of a decent klax that looks somewhat real for for FSX?? or is anyone devlopeing on??

KingCat

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:09:40 am »
what do you mean change the parking codes???

If you have a good addon scenery for an airport, every gate has a parkingcode associated with it. That means that e.g. AI-aircraft of Delta Airlines will only park at gates that have a parkingcode of "Delta Airlines". If you click on a gate in the AFCAD and check it's properties, you will see which airlines are "allowed" to park there. So if you remove the parkingcode from a certain gate, chances are much smaller that an AI-aircraft will park there, unless there's no other gate available. I used this strategy in FS9 a lot, but I'm not sure if it works in FSX.

Jon
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:12:25 am by KingCat »

TWA Pilot

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »
Jared15......open your aircraft cfg, file. On the top paragraph you'll see all the info FS reads about the plane. Title, sim, texture. etc. What you need to add are these two lines, just copy and paste them in the top parragraph of the config file.

atc_parking_types=gate
atc_parking_codes=EAL

I fly for Eastern Airlines Virtrual so our parking code is EAL...You said you flew a Delta 737-800....Then change the code to DAL for your airline OR what ever airline you want in there. You can also change the parking types too! If you have a cargo flight, you can change the parking statis to CARGO, or GA, ramp or all of the above. What this does is tells FS you have a gate, ramp, or cargo parking spot and will send you there or close to it IF the gates are open!!!

Now if you fly for a VA or airline that isn't in the AFCAD then we need to change something in the AFCAD file. But thats something a little harder, so for now just add the two lines, and do that with all you airplanes.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Doug

jared15

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:45:21 pm »
cool thanks. any word on a klax for fsx???

KingCat

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 11:16:52 pm »
Jared15......open your aircraft cfg, file. On the top paragraph you'll see all the info FS reads about the plane. Title, sim, texture. etc. What you need to add are these two lines, just copy and paste them in the top parragraph of the config file.

atc_parking_types=gate
atc_parking_codes=EAL

I fly for Eastern Airlines Virtrual so our parking code is EAL...You said you flew a Delta 737-800....Then change the code to DAL for your airline OR what ever airline you want in there. You can also change the parking types too! If you have a cargo flight, you can change the parking statis to CARGO, or GA, ramp or all of the above. What this does is tells FS you have a gate, ramp, or cargo parking spot and will send you there or close to it IF the gates are open!!!

Now if you fly for a VA or airline that isn't in the AFCAD then we need to change something in the AFCAD file. But thats something a little harder, so for now just add the two lines, and do that with all you airplanes.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Doug

This only works for AI-aircraft, not for user aircraft (at least in FS9).

Jon

TWA Pilot

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:46 pm »
NO!!! It works for both!!! Trust me I use it!!!and it works!!

Doug

KingCat

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:21 pm »
Maybe in FSX, but surely not in FS9.

Jon

Jayster226

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 06:04:56 am »
Maybe in FSX, but surely not in FS9.

Jon

It doesn't work in FS9, and probably not FSX too. Probably just coincidence

KingCat

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 12:48:46 pm »
That's what I already thought so, because I have never heard about this working (except for AI-aircraft). The only way you can "manipulate" default ATC somewhat, is the way I described it in a few posts earlier in this thread.

Jon

Mike...

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
It's very simple. Make sure the parking spot you want to go to has the exact same radius as the model you're flying. Make sure the spot is at the top of the parking list and use XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX as parking codes, so that AI will not occupy the gate (and make sure you have sufficient parking spots at your airport or AI may go there anyway). ATC will direct you to the spot in question.

Yes, you need to do something before each flight, unless you always fly the same aircraft and airline, but getting assigned the correct gate by ATC is worth it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:34:33 pm by Mike... »