Author Topic: Confusion with Gate numbers FSX / FSDT / Real Life  (Read 8327 times)

DVA3188

Confusion with Gate numbers FSX / FSDT / Real Life
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »
Hi,

I have searched the FSX forum for the JFK airport and am quite surprised that nobody has mentioned that the gates are confusing in FSX!

I need to understand which gates (e. g. B26) match to which terminals at JFK. Additionally, I don't know why the FSX gate names vary from the FSDT gate names in the ParkMe Control and I would like to know where I can find a chart helping me get around.

At the moment, I am still confused!

Help greatly appreciated.

Patrick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Confusion with Gate numbers FSX / FSDT / Real Life
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
I need to understand which gates (e. g. B26) match to which terminals at JFK. Additionally, I don't know why the FSX gate names vary from the FSDT gate names in the ParkMe

That's the whole point of having the menu in ParkMe that list BOTH the real number and the number assigned in FSX, so you could know the matching. I thought the menu should be pretty self-explanatory, or isn't ?

However, if you want to know the REASON ( there's always a reason why we do things in a certain way...) why they don't match, it's simply because real world naming scheme doesn't fit in any of the allowed AFCAD numbering schemes allowed by FSX.

FSX Gates group names can be something like GATE A to Z, to identify gates belonging to a specific terminal. Naming a gate group according to the terminal number (like at the real JFK) it's not possible, you'll always have something not fully realistic like having Gate A as T1, Gate B as T2. And this is the first limitation.

Some developers got around it, and used another naming convention, and instead of using Gate group names, they labeled the Gates as generic "Gate" without any letter, and used the number to code the Terminal number and the Gate number together so, for example, Gate 501 would means T5 Gate 1, Gate 403 would mean T4 Gate 3, etc.

However, this might work at some airports, but not at JFK that has situations (I think at T5) such a Terminal with TWO gate groups, each one with its own numbering, one labeled with A and the other with B like, for example, T5 Gate A1, T5 Gate B2, etc.

This one wouldn't fit in any of the possible naming conventions, the only way to divide the gates groups was to just use a different grouping, and using the ParkMe menu to indicate the correspondance between the AFCAD and the real world.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:55:48 pm by virtuali »

JamesChams

Re: Confusion with Gate numbers FSX / FSDT / Real Life
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:41 pm »
Virtuali,

I must admit I get confused with this too; and now that you've explained it; your method makes much more sense.  The next time I use it, I think, it'll be easier for me.

Ciao! :)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams