Author Topic: second P3dv4 installed on same system / different OS  (Read 1991 times)

Tozzifan

second P3dv4 installed on same system / different OS
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:01 pm »
Hello,

because Oculus software won't install on a perfectly working win7-64 (with every simulator I fly on it), I had not choice than setup another p3dv4 on a second OS - win10 - on which their weird software is working

while every software linked to my system (p3d4, PMDG, ASP4 ...) did not need to register again, I see that after installing GSX on win10, the addon manager does not see the registration already present on the same system, yet done under win7-64

hence I ask whether I have to repeat the activation under win10, or do something else

sorry for missing the reply in the forum

thanks
I7-4790 / 1080ti / 32Gb / Creative Fatal1ty / trackIr5 / HOTAS Warthog / 3D vision / OculusCV1 / Saitek Rudder & Trim / CH Quadrant
win7-64 : P3dv44
win10 : P3Dv44 + OculusCV1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: second P3dv4 installed on same system / different OS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »
It's entirely normal that GSX won't see an activation made on a different OS, since we store the activation info in the registry, rather than in the sim folder or in any other folder in the file system.

This has the obvious advantage that you can uninstall our software and even uninstall the sim itself, and your activation will stay, something that might not happen had we stored the activation information in a file, which might end up deleted when cleaning up/reinstalling the sim or the product itself.

But of course, if you are running on a different Windows installation, the registry is not shared between the two OS, so you must reactivate there too.