Author Topic: installer will not work!!!  (Read 12317 times)

cf18

installer will not work!!!
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:21:20 am »
I can't get the setup.exe to work..when I double click on it i get the message
          "ÿou must enter a full path with drive letter; for example

C:\APP

or a UNC path in the form

\\server\share"

what do I do...do I need the FS9 update installed to make this installer work? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: installer will not work!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:25:56 am »
You can surely have to update FS9 to FS9.1, it's in the system requirements.

Your problem leads to believe you have a problem in your FS9 registry. It's either pointing to the wrong path (maybe a drive letter that doesn't exist anymore) or it doesn't exists at all.

Open this key with REGEDIT:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

and check the "EXE Path" key to be pointing to the correct FS9 folder.

Bert Groner

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:18:08 am »
Hi everyone!

This can happen if FS 2004 has been removed from the registry and will of course happen as a "side-effect" if you deinstall FS X. To me this happend with Vista twice now facing the same installer-problem today.

To recall FS 2004 with the registry simply use the free tool made bei Visualflight:

http://www.visualflight.info/downloads/fs2004-toolkit/

Afterwards the installation of Zurich from Virtuali will work without problems.

Have fun...

Best, yours

Bert
FS MAGAZIN
www.fsmagazin.de

cloud9

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:18:05 pm »
i have the same problem with the installer too.  :'(

and yes ... i have 9.1 installed, yes i have the right install-path in the registry.

the only one what's a little bit out of standard-config ist that my FS is NOT based in the directory named 'Microsoft Flightsimulator 2004' - it's based direct in the root of my HD-partition (which is a FS-only partition). for understanding: aircraft-folder --> G:\aircraft, Effect-folder --> G:\Effects, and so on.

all other installers (and i have a lot installed addon's -> more then 80GB of HD-space) are working fine with that, except of your one.

are there any other solutions to force the installer to do it's work?

best regards,
cloud9
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:20:07 pm by cloud9 »
pj
aka trippleseven

- World of AI -

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:52:57 pm »
If you are putting FS in a root folder of an hard drive, there might be some permission issues, especially with Windows Vista.

The installer doesn't do anything strange, except that looking at the path found under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

ExePath key

If this is correct, the installer should work, provided you (not really "you", but the installer, of course) have permission rights to this folder. In this case, the root folder might be an exception, since it's an highly out of standard and not recommended way of installing ANY program directly into an HD root. It's perfectly fine to install FS9 into something like G:\FS9, but G:\ it's really not a good idea.

You might try (if in Vista) turning off UAC, running the installer as administrator.

As a workaround, you might try CHANGING the registry key to purposely point of to a folder that exists (just create an empty G:\fs9 ), run the installer, change the registry key back to G:\, then move everything that has been installed into G:\fs9 to G:\

cloud9

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 11:18:06 am »
hello Umberto!

sorry, i forget to let you know that i'm running und XP ...  :-\

many thanks for your support, the installation works with the work-around and i'm very happy and delighted with LSZH and i'll think i will purchase it! :)

to your remarks of the placement of the FS:
when i reserve one partition for FS i think it looks pretty empty to generate one directory on the root within all others.

to the installer i think:
when the installer reads the install-path from the registry why is there the 'must' to an additional directory to the install-path worthless what the user want - this isn't Win-SDK based? wouldn't it be nicer to in a field for the install-path where a path is advised to the user and editable, as leaving the user alone and end up in an error? ;)

please be patient, remember on such guys like me for the next installer and modify it a little bit as suggested above. your installer is the only which crashed. Feelthere with their installer is the only installer beside of yours that i cannot re-assign the installpath, but it says it only like "<FSinstall-path>\Flightsimulator 2004", generates the directory if not found and installs into it. THANKS!  ;D

best regards toU!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:25:21 pm by cloud9 »
pj
aka trippleseven

- World of AI -

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 05:13:45 pm »
We are planning to change the installer to allow to manually choose the FS folder for the next release. However, I'm still think it's not a good idea to install a program in any hard drive root, regardless of how much "empty" that folder will look. There are simply too many issues with permission that might lead programs to fail when reading/writing files, perhaps not in a so apparent way. I strongly suggest you to install FS in a sub-folder of the root.

cloud9

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:56:29 pm »
We are planning to change the installer to allow to manually choose the FS folder for the next release. However, I'm still think it's not a good idea to install a program in any hard drive root, regardless of how much "empty" that folder will look. There are simply too many issues with permission that might lead programs to fail when reading/writing files, perhaps not in a so apparent way. I strongly suggest you to install FS in a sub-folder of the root.

i'm sorry to say ... the installer of version 1.1 was better than the one of 1.2  :'(

* now i can choose the right directory for my installation, but it ends with the same error as in post 1 of this thread

* then i tried to install V1.2 with the 'work-around' - it ends also with the same error now! than i tried to copy FS9.exe and scenery.cfg in the empty error ... an d it seemed that it will work. but after a short time while the installer does it's job it and up in an error 'runtime error - not a valid installation-path "XXX:\\"'. after removing this requester with the OK-bottom the installer goes on and finished the installation!

now i don't know if the installer installs all files.

please check if it's ok (note: with AES installed):

FSdreamteam\Zurich\scenery: 76 files
FSdreamteam\Zurich\texture: 236 files
FSdreamteam\Zurich_terrain\scenery: 4 files
plus 2 manuals in directory FSdreamteam\Zurich
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:58:25 pm by cloud9 »
pj
aka trippleseven

- World of AI -

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »
I confirm that trying to install into a root folder will always lead to all sort of problems.

The folders you listed seem alright, but there are a couple of files more from the \effects folder that you need to copy as well. And of course, you need bglman.dll and bglman_fsdt.dat in the root folder of FS9, and scenery.cfg updated with Zurich and Zurich terrain areas (Zurich must stay on top)

cloud9

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:28:46 am »
I confirm that trying to install into a root folder will always lead to all sort of problems.

The folders you listed seem alright, but there are a couple of files more from the \effects folder that you need to copy as well. And of course, you need bglman.dll and bglman_fsdt.dat in the root folder of FS9, and scenery.cfg updated with Zurich and Zurich terrain areas (Zurich must stay on top)

thank you for your answer, of course i've forgotten to list-up the modules- and effects-directory. i think all is on right place.
pj
aka trippleseven

- World of AI -