Author Topic: FSX:Steam freeze after landing at MDPC requesting services  (Read 27584 times)

p3dx3

FSX:Steam freeze after landing at MDPC requesting services
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:22:49 pm »
Tropicalsim MDPC 2016 in FSX Steam. DX9. I cannot find any logs telling me what happened. After landing, I opened the GSX menu, selected my gate, Gate 11, selected Swissport, and FSX hard froze, I could hear the sound running in the back ground but the picture was frozen. I could not close FSX I had to restart my computer. There were no log entries in the Windows Error Reporting tool. I loaded up after rebooting, and sat at the gate, requested services, and did not get a freeze. Any ideas what happened? I do not have a prompt to update GSX but will download the newest installer again anyway, I last ran the installer 2 days ago or so. Thank you.

NEMMO

Re: FSX:Steam freeze after landing at MDPC requesting services
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:51:56 am »
Tropicalsim MDPC 2016 in FSX Steam. DX9. I cannot find any logs telling me what happened. After landing, I opened the GSX menu, selected my gate, Gate 11, selected Swissport, and FSX hard froze, I could hear the sound running in the back ground but the picture was frozen. I could not close FSX I had to restart my computer. There were no log entries in the Windows Error Reporting tool. I loaded up after rebooting, and sat at the gate, requested services, and did not get a freeze. Any ideas what happened? I do not have a prompt to update GSX but will download the newest installer again anyway, I last ran the installer 2 days ago or so. Thank you.

I have the same thing in USSS P3D GSX(latest) Somebody have any suggestions

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:17:25 am »
Since GSX cannot obviously freeze FSX, since it's running entirely outside of it (under the Couatl interpreter), the only possible reason is that, an object created by FSX on behalf of GSX, is making the sim crash, most likely because you have a video driver or a video settings problem or even an audio driver problem.

To fix a video driver problem:

- Be sure your video driver is updated

- Set your video driver to default settings.

To fix a problem with FSX settings and tweaks:

- Remove the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file, so FSX will create a new one with all default settings on the next restart.

Rustydog

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »
I have had similar to this, screen froze but sounds still playing and FSX non responsive, but it turned out to be a coincidence. It was an OOM. hit Ctrl+Shft+ENTER to get out of FSX and OOM message reveals itself. This may be your problem, just an idea.
Intel Core i5 4690 (OC 4500Mhz), GeForce GTX1060 6gb GDDR5, P3Dv4.4, PMDG 737u,

p3dx3

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:01 pm »
It is a new install, and if it was a driver or oom problem it would show up in the logs somewhere like Windows Error Reporting.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:29:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:37:29 pm »
It is a new install, and if it was a driver or oom problem it would show up in the logs somewhere like Windows Error Reporting.

No, it's exactly the opposite. If it's a driver issue, since drivers runs with a permission level higher than anything else, they are able to freeze Windows even BEFORE it has a chance to log an error Event.

I'll repeat it again: GSX, by itself, CANNOT FREEZE FSX, it's theoretically impossible, since it runs entirely external to it, there's no way for GSX to access the FSX process.

An OBJECT created by the sim, on behalf of GSX, could freeze the Sim or even the whole Windows, but not because the object is "bad", only because there's a problem with a video driver setting or tweak, or an FSX setting or tweak, which is causing a problem TO the video driver, which is the ONLY thing that can crash FSX or Windows.

A SOUND created by GSX, could also freeze the Sim or even the whole Windows, but not because the sound is "bad", only because there's a problem with the AUDIO driver, which is the ONLY (it's a driver) thing that can also crash FSX or Windows.

I'll repeat it again, since you haven't said you ever TRIED to do what I suggested:

To fix a video driver problem:

- Be sure your video driver is updated

- Set your video driver to default settings.

To fix a problem with FSX settings and tweaks:

- Remove the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG file, so FSX will create a new one with all default settings on the next restart.

Don't touch anything, and try the same airport and the same gate, using a DEFAULT airplane so, at least, we might be reasonably sure it's not a memory-hungry airplane that is OOM-ing the sim.

p3dx3

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:36 pm »
It was fine when sitting at the gate, it only froze when taxing from the runway to the stand and on the taxiway selecting gsx and the gate I wanted. You are far more knowledgable than me, but if it was a hard freeze of the whole system yes, it would not log. But I could hear fsx in the back ground, and I could alt tab, and ctrl+alt+del and select task manager. So windows was still operating and it would have logged any errors.
This is a new fsx:steam install with little addons, and the only tweaks are basic affinity mask nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:28:07 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 03:32:10 pm »
But I could hear fsx in the back ground, and I could alt tab, and ctrl+alt+del and select task manager. So windows was still operating and it would have logged any errors.

That means Windows itself didn't crashed. I replied based on your report that you had turn off Windows. You could probably terminate FSX instead.

But that doesn't change the issue: even if Windows didn't entirely crash, you cannot assume the error reporting system would still work. Fact that it didn't, further indicates the problem happened inside the only thing in your system that has an higher priority of a Windows Service ( the Windows error log it's a Windows *service* ), which is a DRIVER, either video or audio.

This is a new fsx:steam install with little addons, and the only tweaks are basic affinity mask nothing else.

That doesn't mean anything. You still haven't said if you have tried the two fixes I proposed: set the video driver to default, and reset the FSX.CFG without ANY tweaks.

p3dx3

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »
I needed to hard reset the computer because the fsx screen stayed frozen but I could hear sound. I couldn't force close it.

I have a fresh fsx config file it is a new install.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:23:02 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 05:25:25 pm »
I needed to hard reset the computer because the fsx screen stayed frozen but I could hear sound. I couldn't force close it.

I already explained in my previous post that this doesn't mean anything, it could STILL be a driver issue, even if there was no blue screen.

I have a fresh fsx config file it is a new install.

Then it means, in your case, you would instead need a tweak. However, is not very clear from your message if:

- It happened ONCE

OR

- It happens 100% of the time with GSX on that airport ONLY

OR

- It always happens, on any airport, when you call GSX

p3dx3

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:45 pm »
It now happened again. Landing at Tropicalsim TNCA. Taxi off the active, open up GSX, select my gate, gate 7, and the FSX screen freezes. I am flying the FSLabs if that helps. If there was a driver issue, Windows would log that. Because only FSX froze, not the whole system. I could not close the FSX application so I had to restart from the  task manager window.

The new changes to GSX is freezing my system. I'll enable logging in GSX to see if any cause can be found.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:53:27 am by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 06:56:30 pm »
That was bizarre. Restarted computer. Started Steam, then ASN, then FSX.

Loaded default Trike at TNCA Gate 7, Tropicalsim 2012 scenery.

Go to the GSX menu so I can enable logging, and FSX crashes.

These 2 dll errors are in the Windows log

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57898e34
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000daf93
Faulting process id: 0x764
Faulting application start time: 0x01d209f168986a2b
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: 6cb4e6e1-865c-4daf-acd2-8e6e32d0d807
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: couatl.exe, version: 3.1.0.3536, time stamp: 0x57bf02a2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.103, time stamp: 0x57b7e09e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d9841
Faulting process id: 0x160
Faulting application start time: 0x01d209f177f69cc4
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d148f306-0918-4483-b872-e71841b6b442
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

p3dx3

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:35 pm »
Crash every time I go to the in game GSX settings menu. I downloaded the latest GSX installer to be sure I was on the latest version. SODE installed okay. No exe or dll xml issues. Very bizarre.

I was in windowed mode and this is my screen right after it tries to open the gsx settings menu

http://i.imgur.com/WsGdvfV.jpg

I can provide any info you need to trace this problem and see if it is my computer or GSX. I have a new install on a new hard drive of FSX Steam. in Win10 Pro Anniversary Edition. Latest updates for all including latest whql Nvidia drivers.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:57:05 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:56:47 am »
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57898e34

This clearly indicates the problem is a video driver problem. We cannot obviously have any effect on DirectX, since the only thing that GSX does, is to ASK Simconnect to create objects on its behalf.

Faulting application name: couatl.exe, version: 3.1.0.3536, time stamp: 0x57bf02a2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.103, time stamp: 0x57b7e09e

This indicates that Couatl.exe has crashed BECAUSE FSX crashed first. It's the effect, not the cause. If FSX crashes abruptly, Couatl cannot receive the message from Simconnect that is supposed to close, so it cannot do some clean up of its allocated resources, resulting in this crash. But the cause is the first (VIDEO-related) crash that happened in FSX, not Couatl, which is only the victim of that crash.

You still haven't replied to my last question:

- It happened ONCE

OR

- It happens 100% of the time with GSX on that airport ONLY

OR

- It always happens, on any airport, when you call GSX

p3dx3

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 12:10:05 pm »
I said the crash requesting airport services on landing happened once, then it happened again at a second airport.

The crash of fsx trying to edit gsx settings happens all the time at every airport and using every airplane. I cannot get to the gsx settings menu.

The driver is causing the crash, but can you say the reason this crash is happening after I go up to the in game menus and gsx... settings? something in gsx is causing that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:16:38 pm by virtuali »