Author Topic: GSX has stopped working in FSX-SE  (Read 23364 times)

jtbetteridge

GSX has stopped working in FSX-SE
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:38:52 am »
The other day I loaded a flight but when I pressed F12 I get an error mesage.  GSX I have downloaded and installed the up to date files but they didn't load properly.  I checked the path and it was pointing to a blank folder so corrected that and then the installation seemed to go OK, but F12 - no GSX and no coatl or GSX in the Addon drop down.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX has stopped working in FSX-SE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:02 am »
The other day I loaded a flight but when I pressed F12 I get an error mesage. 

As I've already asked in the other thread: WHICH ERROR MESSAGE ? How do you expect we could even START helping you, with such non-descriptive report ?

jtbetteridge

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 12:45:53 pm »
The message was "Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

However, since that happened, I tried to follow your instructions to other people and reloaded GSX from the start.  It seemed to load OK, but no there is no coatl or GSX in the addon drop down menu and  nothing happens when I press Ctrl F12

In the addon menu FSUIPC and SODE  are present.

Please let me know if you need more information?

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:54:45 pm »
The message was "Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

You say "the message was", so this was the message you already posted in the thread here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13985.msg103621.html#msg103621

However, since that happened, I tried to follow your instructions to other people and reloaded GSX from the start.  It seemed to load OK

So you are NOT getting that error anymore ? Is the installer running fine now ? Does the program installed in the correct folder ? Because, from your LAST sentence here:

The other day I loaded a flight but when I pressed F12 I get an error message.

It seems you are INSIDE FSX and are pressing the ( not F12, but CTRL+Shift+F12, which the GSX default hotkey ) GSX hotkey, and you are getting an error.

I asked about THIS error, but you replied it with:

"The message was "Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

This is an error that can only appear while INSTALLING. But you said you got an error after pressing the (CTRL) F12 key!! They are two entirely different issue.

So, again, if what you said here is correct:

The other day I loaded a flight but when I pressed F12 I get an error message.

Which error is THIS one ??

Or, are you STILL getting the error from the installer AND a different error ( which one ? ) when pressing (CTRL) F12 ?

jtbetteridge

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
Hi

Yes, the message I got originally seemed to indicate that the path was incorrect so I followed your guide in the other thread and used the tool to correct the path.  The message actually appeared when I tried to start GSX in FSXSE, not while installing.  I installed GSX ages ago and it's been working fine until a day or two ago.

So then the GSX seemed to install OK, no warnings, no more error messages.  Looking in the FSXSE folder there is the fsdreamteam folder with GSX inside

I started FSXSE and tried, but no GSX in the menu and pressing Ctrl F12 (I didn't mean F12) did not start GSX, just nothing at all.

So, what happens now is that when I have FSXSE running, and try to start GSX, nothing happens at all, no warnings, nothing.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »
The message actually appeared when I tried to start GSX in FSXSE, not while installing.  I installed GSX ages ago and it's been working fine until a day or two ago.

I'm sorry, but if you are referring to THIS message:

"Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

It can ONLY appear when installing. It's an installer message. No chance to see it inside FSX.

I started FSXSE and tried, but no GSX in the menu and pressing Ctrl F12 (I didn't mean F12) did not start GSX, just nothing at all.

If with "no GSX in the menu", you are referring to the FSX "Addons" menu, are you missing:

- the GSX menu only

OR

- the GSX *and* the Couatl menu, but you have the Addon Manager menu

OR

- You are missing all 3 of them ?

jtbetteridge

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 03:58:14 pm »
I think we can forget that warning as it is no longer occurring anyway - I may have got the wording wrong possibly as I didn't write it down.

As far as the addon menu is concerned, the menu is there with only FSUIPC and SODE on the drop down.  GSX, COATL and Addon Manager not present.

They were there the other day, and have been working fine until then!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »
GSX, COATL and Addon Manager not present.

Then it's not possible this would happen:

The other day I loaded a flight but when I pressed F12 I get an error mesage.

If if you don't have any of the 3 menus, it's clear that nothing related to GSX is running so, it's not possible you would see an error after pressing the GSX key!

If all 3 menus are not there, it's either the antivirus blocking them, which can be fixed as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13600.msg100771.html#msg100771

OR, your registry keys are STILL wrong, so the installer is not installing in the correct folders and not configuring the right DLL/EXE XML files, because the wrong registry keys for FSX are still there. This was already explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13985.msg103575.html#msg103575

jtbetteridge

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
I'm telling you what happened.

GSX was present in the menu.

But when I pressed Ctrl F12 the warning came.

I've done the antivirus checks etc already.  And in any case, if it was working fine before, why should it now stop working?

I will uninstall and start all over, and hope this fixes the problem.

I don't really understand your instruction fully for checking the registry keys.  I have only FSXSE installed so please can you confirm that this source is exacly correct?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:29 pm »

Which warning ? If you are referring to this one:

"Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

Then no, you must confusing it with something else, because this error is an INSTALLER error. So, it must have been something else.

I have only FSXSE installed so please can you confirm that this source is exacly correct?

Of course it's correct. It explains precisely how the registry keys should be when FSX:SE is installed alone.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:30:36 pm by virtuali »

jtbetteridge

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 02:08:06 pm »
OK, so I did exactly as instructed, including disable the antivirus, and still no GSX either by using hotkey or on the Addon Menu.

I have put FSX, coatl and bglmanx.dll in the exclusions list.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 02:11:58 pm »
OK, so I did exactly as instructed, including disable the antivirus, and still no GSX either by using hotkey or on the Addon Menu.

This is again very confusing. You said:

WHICH warning ???

jtbetteridge

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 02:23:10 pm »
That was the original fault.  It's not happening now and I can't remember the details.

What I can't understand is why, having uninstalled the GSX, then downloaded the new application and installed it, which all seems to go correctly, that GSX then doesn't work in FSXse?!  I'm confused too.

I'm grateful for your help and sorry it's difficult!

What else can I try

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 02:25:25 pm »
That was the original fault.  It's not happening now and I can't remember the details.

So what is happening now ? Nothing ? You are simply missing the GSX menu ?

What I can't understand is why, having uninstalled the GSX, then downloaded the new application and installed it, which all seems to go correctly, that GSX then doesn't work in FSXse?!  I'm confused too.

A problem with antivirus is the most common cause for missing Add-on Manager or Couatl and GSX menus so, first try the following procedure:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall GSX. Use the latest full GSX installer on our site.

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

jtbetteridge

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »
So what is happening now ? Nothing ? You are simply missing the GSX menu ?

Nothing.  No GSX on the Addon Menu, only FSUIPC and SODE

I've followed those instructions exactly.  No permission requests came up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:32:20 pm by virtuali »