Author Topic: Activation  (Read 3449 times)

mokeiko

Activation
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:19 pm »
HI FSDT,

I have one PC. I used Acronis to recover an OS image due to problems with flightsim scenery. I tried to reinstall P3D and had issues with P3D licensing. I installed FSX, installed one of FSDT airports, Honolulu. When activating using the Addon Manager, I used the serial number that was given with the order. After inserting the serial number another screen popped up with 3 options to activate. I remember using the online option, had to send it, check my email for a new serial number, go back into the Addon Manager and insert new serial number.

When I did this with P3D, I only inserted the original order serial number and the product was activated. Did something change or is this a new FSX activation situation?

Thanks for any help

Francisco

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Activation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:04:09 pm »
When I did this with P3D, I only inserted the original order serial number and the product was activated. Did something change or is this a new FSX activation situation?

Nothing has changed in the activation method. It's just that, for some reason, the program wasn't able to contact the activation server so, instead of using the normal "online" activation, that only ask for your Serial Number, the "offline" activation came out, which is the procedure normally used to activate on a PC that doesn't have an internet connection.

If your internet connection was working, the most likely cause for the offline activation to come out, is that a firewall/antivirus or similar security program has prevented the program to contact the activation server, so it reverted to the offline activation so, the usual suggestion is to turn such programs off while activating.

But, other than being slightly more complex, the offline activation works just as the online one so, if you managed to do it correctly, there's no difference compared to the normal online activation.

mokeiko

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:56:27 am »
Hi Umberto,

One more question. I would like to install P3D on same PC as FSX. Do I have to install again into P3D directory or this is not allowed?

Francisco
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:33:27 am by mokeiko »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
The activation is not related on the sim used, it's only related to the PC hardware or the Windows installation. Some examples:

- Installing in FSX, FSX:SE, P3D v1.x and P3D v2.x on the SAME Windows installation, will count as 1 activation

- Installing in FSX on a desktop PC and on another FSX on a notebook, will count as 2 activations

- Installing in FSX on a desktop PC and FSX:SE on a notebook, will count as 2 activations

- Installing under FSX on Windows 7 on a PC and on a separate Windows 10 installation (like a different boot drive) on the SAME PC, will count as 2 activations

- Installing under FSX on a Windows 7 on a PC, and under P3D and FSX:SE on a separate Windows 10 installation, will count as 2 activations.

Basically, it's the hardware OR the Windows installation that counts, not the number or different simulators you use.

If you don't change hardware and don't reinstall Windows, you can Uninstall and Reinstall any FSDT product an UNLIMITED number of times, regardless how in how many sim you perform the uninstall/reinstall (provided they all run under the same Windows install)

If you REMEMBER to use the "Deactivate" function of the Addon Manager menu BEFORE deciding to do a Windows reinstall or an hardware upgrade (or even buy a new PC), you will recover 1 activation, so your running total of 6 won't be affected.

The Deactivate feature will allow you to do INFINITE hardware changes, if you remember to use it. We give you 6 activations, so you might still "forget" it a couple of times, and still have some headroom for hardware changes.

mokeiko

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »
Thank you Umberto,

It seems that I may have used more activations than needed. Sometimes in haste I forget to deactivate and reinstall from scratch, lol.

Francisco