Author Topic: GSX FS:SE problem  (Read 12246 times)

leontesh

GSX FS:SE problem
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »
Dear all,
I've re-downloaded the GSX installer to install in the new FSX:SE, but when I start FSX:SE, GSX doesn't appear, nor is it added to FSX:SE.
Is this a compatibility problem, or something else?
Thanks!

streichholz

Re: GSX FS:SE problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »
Nearly no addon is compatible with FSX SE so far. Give them time to update the installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »
As we announced already yesterday, ALL our installers are entirely compatible with FSX Steam Edition. GSX works perfectly fine in it.

There's a catch, though: If you uninstalled the regular FSX before installing the Steam edition, or you installed the Steam edition on a system that never had FSX installed before, like after a Windows reinstall, you will be missing the Simconnect runtime libraries that are required by almost all FSX add-ons, and unfortunately, they are not installed automatically by the Steam installer.

However, there's a copy of the Simconnect installer in the SDK folder from the Steam installation, here:

steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\Simconect SDK\Legacy Interfaces\FSX-XPACK\Simconnect.MSI

Launch the installer, and every FSX add-on that required Simconnect (provided you can install it under the Steam edition) will work.

leontesh

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »
Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work. I still get the warning that FSX:SE must be installed (it is), and nothing appears in FSX:SE.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:45 pm »
Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work. I still get the warning that FSX:SE must be installed (it is), and nothing appears in FSX:SE.

Then you don't have the latest installer. Clear your browser cache and try again. It has been updated today.

jcallum

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:06:25 pm »
I just downloaded GSX and installed into Steam Edition. The installer seemed to find the FSX-SE location ok. The installer completed ok but when I launched FSX (after a couple of alerts to run virtuali stuff, etc.) I got the message "Can't Init. Simconnect error." The addon manager did not show up in the addon menu. Any suggestions? I have installed a couple of versions of simconnect from the steam simconnect sdk folder. To no avail.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »
I got the message "Can't Init. Simconnect error." The addon manager did not show up in the addon menu. Any suggestions? I have installed a couple of versions of simconnect from the steam simconnect sdk folder.

Something must have gone wrong when installing the Simconnect versions then. Do you have the standard FSX too (under the same Windows install), or just the Steam edition ?

jcallum

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 03:01:49 am »
Umberto:
I had FSX SP2 installed previously but I uninstalled it after installing FSX:SE.
John

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:43:51 am »
I don't have any idea how to fix this: if you got a "Can't Init. Simconnect error" it's clearly a problem of your Simconnect installation, and other than installing with the .MSI installers, there's not much else you can do.

You might try going into your WinSxS folders (booting Windows in Safe Mode) and remove all the FSX Simconnect ( NOT the FSX Steam version!! ) folders, then reboot and reinstall JUST the Simconnect XPACK version in the SDK folder under the Steam edition.

jcallum

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »
Ok. Thanks Umberto. Will try that.

jcallum

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 02:28:24 am »
Hi Umberto,
Did the steps you suggested but still have the same simconnect error. What if I delete ALL simconnect folders in the WinSxS folder? Will that give me problems?
John.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55:12 am »
What if I delete ALL simconnect folders in the WinSxS folder? Will that give me problems?

You can try, but I'm not sure if there's a working repair option of the Steam version. Maybe you'll have to reinstall the .MSI in the Steam SDK folder, for all versions ( legacy FSX and Steam edition )