Author Topic: Hawaiian airports performance with Prepar3D v2.1  (Read 9821 times)

DesertPilot85

Hawaiian airports performance with Prepar3D v2.1
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:39:22 am »
After installing the P3D v2.1 patch tonight, I tried out the default FSX Honolulu airport, and was able to easily fly over it with frame rates at about 50-60 FPS.

I then enabled the FSDT PHNL airport, and the FSDT PHNL runways got loaded (with no buildings, due to the AddOn Manager presently not working with v2.1).  But the runways were apparently enough to knock down my frame rate down to about 16-25 FPS.

When I disabled the FSDT Honolulu airport from my scenery.cfg, and went with the default Honolulu airport, my frame rate still remained low; I had to restart P3D to go back to my normal FPS.

So, it appears that P3D v2.1 didn't include any fixes needed by the FSDT Hawaiian airports.  As a comparison, I went over to FSDT KLAX's runways (believed not to contain any FS8 content), and was able to stay at about 50-60 FPS.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:01:21 am by DesertPilot85 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Hawaiian airports performance with Prepar3D v2.1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:23 pm »
So, it appears that P3D v2.1 didn't include any fixes needed by the FSDT Hawaiian airports.  As a comparison, I went over to FSDT KLAX's runways (believed not to contain any FS8 content), and was able to stay at about 50-60 FPS.

Unfortunately, while LM initially promised to have a look at this, they said very late in the beta cycle they might not have the time instead.

This, of course, doesn't affect just the FSDT Hawaii airports, but probably HUNDREDS of 3rd party sceneries for FSX, many of them which might not be updatable (old sceneries, freeware, etc.). And I still believe this bug might be just a symptom of something more serious, like a memory leakage, so it should be addressed in any case.

As we said, the plan was that, in the event that LM failed to fix this bug, we would provided an alternative solution, which is something we'll surely do, but it takes a bit of time, since we need to create two different set of files for FSX and P3D, and update the installers to handle the difference, and update even the Live Update procedures as well, something that wouldn't be needed if the problem was fixed on the sim side, but we'll do it anyway...

DesertPilot85

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »
Thanks Umberto, I appreciate your willingness to make whatever updates needed for P3D v2.x operation...

Noel

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:51 am »
That good news that there is hope to use those excellent Hawaiian airports P3D V2.x

Cheers,

Noel

Noel

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:04 am »
As we said, the plan was that, in the event that LM failed to fix this bug, we would provided an alternative solution, which is something we'll surely do, but it takes a bit of time, since we need to create two different set of files for FSX and P3D, and update the installers to handle the difference, and update even the Live Update procedures as well, something that wouldn't be needed if the problem was fixed on the sim side, but we'll do it anyway...

Any word Umberto on making the Hawaiian airports work w/o the steady performance degradation we saw in P3D V2.0, now in 2.1?  I wonder if the hot fix they published maybe helped this do you know?

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:23:37 am »
Any word Umberto on making the Hawaiian airports work w/o the steady performance degradation we saw in P3D V2.0, now in 2.1?  I wonder if the hot fix they published maybe helped this do you know?

We already fixed Zurich, the other airports will come. No, the hotfix hasn't changed anything.

DesertPilot85

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:17 am »
Over on the Zurich FSX/FS9 forum, it was mentioned that removing the LSZH_SCA.BGL file would enable Prepar3D v2.1 compatibility for the Zurich scenery (but with the runway lights disabled).

I assume this method would not work for any of the Hawaiian airports, as there appears to be no separate "SCA" file for these airports. Just confirming.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »
I assume this method would not work for any of the Hawaiian airports, as there appears to be no separate "SCA" file for these airports. Just confirming.

Yes, there is one, it's named ****_Papi_sc.bgl. However, running any of the installers under P3D 2.x now would already remove those files, and that would fix the menu/fps loss while waiting for a proper fix.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:14:38 pm »
I'm happy to report this problem has been fixed in the upcoming P3D v2.2