Author Topic: This is the mess I'm left with  (Read 8468 times)

Gerry Scott

This is the mess I'm left with
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »
After installing JFK FSX there was no buildings to be seen at all.  I deinstalled JFK kept addon manager and this coualli or what ever it is called.  Checked back at JFK. reloaded FSX this is what I get at start up (see attached) When I do get into FSX I have no buildings at the FSX, JFK default airport and no buildings at Zurich either.  Using Vista 32 SP1 and FSX service pack 2. I have also installed your demo JFK in FS9 and at present all is showing. I'm too afraid to uninstall this in case I get the same mess as FSX.  What gives with this scenery to cause such issues where before I installed FSX JFK, no issues, ever!!

Any help.

Gerry
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:15:03 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: This is the mess I'm left with
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:19:05 pm »
After installing JFK FSX there was no buildings to be seen at all.  I deinstalled JFK kept addon manager and this coualli or what ever it is called.

If you already had Zurich installed before, you already had the Addon Manager working, so it's not something related to the Addon Manager.

It might be something else that *makes* the Addon Manager crashing. If that one is crashing, is normal you don't see any buildings.

During beta testing, we found another tester that had a similar issue, and it was casued by a scenery.cfg file that was corrupted, probably because of something *else* he installed, that corrupts the scenery.cfg. The Addon Manager reads the scenery.cfg at start, and it might crash if something is wrong with that file.

Can you email me your scenery.cfg, so I can have a look at it ?

Gerry Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:44 pm »
Thankyou for the reply.  I have managed to get myself sorted back to FSX. Managed to eventually get rid of the installed addon manager and coualli.  reinstalled LSZH.  all is ok.  I will stick with the JFK default for now.  Uninstalled your JFK in FS9.  no issues.  I'm going to pass on this scenery.  Shame, as the screen shots looked pretty good.

Regards
Gerry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:36 pm »
Uninstalled your JFK in FS9.  no issues.  I'm going to pass on this scenery

I don't see why, the fact you had an issue in FSX, that of course might be solved if you cared to follow my suggestion of sending be your scenery.cfg to check if for errors (don't you think that a corrupted file *will* create issues, sooner or later ? better fix it), should make you uninstall the FS9 version as well. Did it work in FS9, at least ?

I'm going to pass on this scenery.  Shame, as the screen shots looked pretty good.

That's no solution. If you are using LSZH, since it uses the Addon Manager as well, just like JFK, on the next update it will come with exactly the same release of the Addon Manager that JFK uses. So, by Uninstalling, you are only post-poning an issue that will resurface again. I already offered you a solution, but even if that wouldn't work, there are other we can try, because there's simply no reason why your system would be able to run Zurich but not JFK.

Gerry Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00:44 am »
Umberto,

I take all your points onboard.  Maybe alittle rash on my decisions beforehand.

Here is my scenery.cfg

Regards
Gerry

[attachment deleted by admin]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
Checked your scenery.cfg, and it's fine.

Note that, the scenery.cfg corruption will make the Addon Manager crash at start. Is this your problem ?

If it's not crashing, do you see its entry in the Addons Menu ?

If you don't see any Addon Manager entry in the Addons menu, when you initially launched FSX, did it asked you if you wanted to authorize the Addon Manager ? Have you trusted it ?

Gerry Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:17:32 pm »
I re downloaded the FSX ver installer and did another install.  This time with no issues and all airport scenery visable :) I don't have any explanation as to why this reinstall was successful, as I didn't do anything different, to the first intsall.  Anyway, I'm very happy and purchasing shortly.

Thankyou for your attempts at a fix first time round.

Regards
Gerry

Gerry Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 06:25:49 pm »
Now that I have purchased JFK and had a good look round, you guys have totally outdone yourselfs with this one. Absoloutly amazing, with the feel and presence of a very busy airport. Well done and thankyou.

Regards
Gerry