Author Topic: I have created an updated AFCAD file for KDFW  (Read 8685 times)

DMullert

I have created an updated AFCAD file for KDFW
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »
Hello Gang and greetings.

Here is an updated version of my updated AFCAD for KDFW.  This version includes:

1.  Jetways at Terminal E's satellite terminal where Spirit Airlines now parks.
2.  The file name has been changed to AP_KDFW.bgl in order to have it "play nice" with GSX.

The rest of the modifications are the original ones listed below:

1.  Cargo airlines now park where they're supposed to park, according to visuals (I travel a lot out of KDFW so I get the (privilege to observe on a weekly basis where everyone parks).
2.  International airlines now park where they are supposed to in Terminal D.  I've even included the temporary parking areas for the Quantas and the BAW 747.
3.  GA parking has now been relocated to the area where the Oooold American Eagle terminal now lies (North of Terminal A).
4.  Spirit Airlines now parks at the little satellite terminal off Terminal E.  Today that terminal has jetways - the KDFW scenery does not sport jetways for that terminal but V2 may re-activate them.  In the mean time, Spirit at least is parking where it's supposed to.
5.  Spirit sometimes parks a jet in the old Delta Cargo terminal area across form Terminal E.  That spot has been activated.
6.  American Airlines appropriate sized jets now park in the AA Hangars both, East and West of the airport as overflow.
7.  American Eagle overflow parking areas have been added as per in real life.
8.  Gate sizes have been painstakingly tweaked to get the appropriate sized aircraft parking on Terminals A, C, and D (Meaning, no 777W's parking on Terminal A or C).
9.  I have de-activated those gates on Terminal B that are not being used at this moment due to the terminal extension construction going on in real life.
10.  To avoid any potential conflicts with FSDT's original scenery I did not add any objects.

I continue to tweak here and there.  e this helps.  If any of you have additional input or findings, please feel free to let me know and I'll incorporate them in another update. 

Updated file is attached.

Cheers folks.

Dennis
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:31:54 pm by DMullert »
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: I have created an updated AFCAD file for KDFW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:31:32 am »
Thanks for doing that Dennis. Living in Dallas, DFW is my home airport as well and 99% of my real life flights go out of there and I do some spotting once in a while at Founders Plaza.

I'm enroute in the NGX right now completing the last leg of my DFW->MMMX->KORD right now, but once I land I will have a look at your ADE and see how it looks. Did you manage to attach some jetways to the little satellite terminal where the Spirit planes park? I was going to give it a shot, but never got around to it. Glad to see you modified the parking space slots to get the T7's out of A and C, plus that will put more AA traffic over at terminal D, which in the sim seems like it usually only has a few AA planes parked on the west and north side of the terminal.

One last thing as well. I think that when you use a modified ADE for any of the FSDT airports and you are using GSX, the ADE file needs to be named the same as the original due to GSX looking for that name. The ADE will still work if you name it something else, but if I recall right it needs to be the same name as the original if using GSX. The only reason I know this is because when I was on the GSX Beta, I was using a mod ADE file for KDFW that was named something else and it was causing GSX problems since it was hunting for one called AP_KDFW.bgl.

There is only one thing we need to figure out for this airport and that is how to get planes to land on 13R and 31R. I think the people in Southlake complained enough that at some point a/c wont be using 13R, but it would still be cool if we could get them to do it in the sim. Personally, if the winds are right and I am coming from the right direction, I like using 13R for something different. Plus I always close 35R/17L in the ADE to force planes to land on 35C/17C.

DMullert

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:45 am »
Hello!

Thanks for your feedback. I was unaware of the file nomenclature thing and its effect on GSX; i will keep that in mind for any future updates.  I did not add any jetways to the satellite terminal as I did not want to cause any potential issues with the original scenery, but Spirit now parks there as in real life. Now that you mention it, i cant recall seeing any aircraft landing on 13R or 31R in FSX - it would be interesting to see if there's a way to make it happen.

I cant wait for FSDT to update the scenery as the airport has undergone a lot of changes since original release. 

Let me know your observations and Ill incorporate any changes that need to be made.

Cheers

Dennis
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert

DMullert

I Just Updated the File to include additional changes - PLease Re-Download.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:33:08 pm »
File is included in the original post!

Enjoy!

Dennis
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert

Mr_LoL

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:50:44 am »
Is it possible to have an Afcad with ALL runways in use? Runways 31R and 31L aren't being used at all.
At o'hare all runways are in use reducing my go arounds.
Thanks

DMullert

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:15:24 pm »
Hello!

Of course it is possible, but it would not be realistic.  In the 27 years of travel I have logged out of DFW I've only seen 31L used once and it was on an extremely windy day with winds exceeding 35kts from the NW - other than that, 31L is not used at DFW since its approach would interfere with runways 35's and 36's operations.  31R is used more often when winds are light to variable from the NW, but since the runway is kind of far from the terminals, airlines don't prefer it - except for FedEx since their ramp is right next to it.  I'd recommend using AISmooth to smooth out your traffic and reduce your go-arounds; that way you can keep realism.

Hope this helps!

Dennis
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert

boilerbill

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:34 pm »
Hello!

Of course it is possible, but it would not be realistic.  In the 27 years of travel I have logged out of DFW I've only seen 31L used once and it was on an extremely windy day with winds exceeding 35kts from the NW - other than that, 31L is not used at DFW since its approach would interfere with runways 35's and 36's operations.  31R is used more often when winds are light to variable from the NW, but since the runway is kind of far from the terminals, airlines don't prefer it - except for FedEx since their ramp is right next to it.  I'd recommend using AISmooth to smooth out your traffic and reduce your go-arounds; that way you can keep realism.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

I've landed on 13R at least 6 or 7 times, always arriving from the West (KLAX, KLAS, KSFO, KSEA, KPDX). You get a good view of Texas Motor Speedway a mile or two south of the 13R approach. Once was on a very windy day with winds from the east, but the others were on "normal" days when south flow operations were in effect, with runways 17L/C/R and 18L/R in use as well. But that's all I've experienced -- nothing on 13L or 31L/R.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

DMullert

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:41:24 am »
Hey Stu!

Yes, 13R is popular but 13L is not used for landings (same as 31L).  I've seen 13L and 31L used for takeoffs from time to time.  Let me take a look at the AFCAD and see if these are enabled.  I think FSX has limitations in that even if the winds permit landing operations in the 17's and 18's, it will not pick the 13's for landing simultaneously.

Dennis
Sincerely,

Dennis D. Mullert

ParadisA330

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »
Does this include Qantas and Korean air?

Cbrock

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 04:34:22 am »
This version includes:

1.  Jetways at Terminal E's satellite terminal where Spirit Airlines now parks.

I looked at some of the replies and it seems like this AFCAD does not add jetways to the Terminal E satellite building. Is that correct?