Author Topic: Blurry scenery, and FS default Scenery  (Read 20826 times)

mpdpilot

Blurry scenery, and FS default Scenery
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:53:28 am »
There are two parts here:

First, the scenery is rather blurry on the ground. The buildings are sharp and look like the screen shots. The ground does not. I would assume this has do with my settings but I have messed with them a little bit and can't seem to get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Second, the default FS scenery is still showing.

roboterpirate

Re: Blurry scenery, and FS default Scenery
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:39:42 am »
I got the same, "first" problem concerning the blurry ground textures:

I haven't got that problem with any other scenery  - what can I do?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:28:30 pm »
This is nothing related to the scenery, you probably don't have the Global Max Texture slider to "Massive" (which enables 1024x1024 textures that the scenery use) OR, you haven't set the Anisotropic filtering on your video card control panel, OR you have your MipMap level in FS9 graphic settings too low.

The Anisotropic filter is specifically effective to improve the appearance of things seen from an angle, like the ground/runway textures.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
...OR you have your MipMap level in FS9 graphic settings too low.

What is the optimum setting for mipmap, Umberto?  I currently have it at 4 or 5.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:05 pm »
What is the optimum setting for mipmap, Umberto?  I currently have it at 4 or 5.

I find there's a big increase in quality going from 4 to 5. Higher than 5, it depends a lot on the video card settings in the control panel. Too high will make the texture flicker, too low will make the texture to appear blurred. Just try several settings, and use whatever you like most. It also screen-res dependent so, the higher your screen resolution is, the higher setting you can use before starting seeing too much flickering.

eparot

• Emmanuel Parot Flight Simulator Sceneries
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:59:36 pm »
Hi,

Be careful, this scenery is probably not built like LSZH and KORD. Parkings, taxiways and runways don't use specific hi-res textures. There are "only" hi-res ground textures for all the airport (probably at 15cm/pixel), taxiway and runway markings are painted above. So parking, taxiway and runway textures seem blurry compared to KORD or LSZH.

Regards,

Emmanuel
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:01:15 pm by eparot »

Config: FS9.1 / Athlon 64 4000+ / Asus A8N-SLI Premium / Asus EN9800GTX+ 512 Mo / Corsair TwinX 2 Go RAM / Seagate Barracuda 200 Go SATA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:32:05 pm »
this scenery is probably not built like LSZH and KORD. Parkings, taxiways and runways don't use specific hi-res textures.

JFK ground textures in FS9 are made just like LSZH and KORD: a background layer of hi-res textures, with a second layer of details. The only difference between the 3 sceneries is the FSX version: LSZH used an similar FS9 technique in FSX as well, while KORD and KJFK in FSX use the native photoreal FSX terrain. But the FS9 version are basically the same.

eparot

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »
I see what you mean with the second layer. There's one in KJFK too (FS9). But in the case of LSZH (FS9) and KORD (FS9), the second layer is opaque (asphalt or concrete for example). With KJFK (FS9) as far as I see the second layer is transparent and his purpose is "only" to add some texture to first layer or am I wrong ?

When you look the edges/borders of taxiways this technic makes a big difference. That's probably why it seems to be blurry but it's not.
Regards,
Emmanuel

Config: FS9.1 / Athlon 64 4000+ / Asus A8N-SLI Premium / Asus EN9800GTX+ 512 Mo / Corsair TwinX 2 Go RAM / Seagate Barracuda 200 Go SATA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:25:16 pm »
But in the case of LSZH (FS9) and KORD (FS9), the second layer is opaque (asphalt or concrete for example). With KJFK (FS9) as far as I see the second layer is transparent and his purpose is "only" to add some texture to first layer or am I wrong ?

It's not like that. All 3 sceneries use a background layer with a semi-transparent detail layer on top. There's no difference with this regard how they are made.

waleed

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:10:32 pm »
Umberto,
I have a 9800 gtx with 4gb ram and a 2.66quad.

I have the global textures set to massive, and I think also mip map(?) set to high. all is set to max, and I get the same thing, which I also noticed in KORD, and LSZH.

I opened the control panel for my nvidia card, but do not know where to find the anisotropic filtering.
Any advice on where to find it?

Thanks, and looking forward to kdfw.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 10:15:48 pm »
I opened the control panel for my nvidia card, but do not know where to find the anisotropic filtering.

Use the Advanced View, the Anisotropic filter, together with a lot of other settings, should be available.

eparot

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 10:30:53 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Well, I think I found a problem... (only test FS9)
On KORD and LSZH all is fine, take a look to the shot below.

Now take a look at JFK gate H45 and its neighborhood...

- the shadow of the aircraft is partial (disappears through a texture layer)
- on the left a parking texture is here, but on the right no more

- a part of the parking texture seems to disappear through the ground

- here only markings and hi-res ground texture. It look's like there's a missing texture or layer.

I did tests with Terrain_max_vertex_level = 21 and 19 but no change.
I've the FS Genesis 38m mesh for all the US. I tried to disable it but no change.

Do you have an explanation...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:46:47 pm »
Do you have an explanation...

That looks like a flatten problem, similar to this one:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=982.msg7708#msg7708

eparot

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:21:24 am »
Yes Umberto, I suspected this kind of problem too but I don't have the problem of missing taxiway line exposed in the other thread. I checked for another scenery installed, I had old JFK from Simflyers but it was deactivated and nothing change after a complete removal...

The problems exposed in the second and third shot of KJFK in my previous post are finally not problems. After checking the real aerial view of KJFK all is fine. But as I said before the rendition of most taxiways look different from KORD and LSZH even if a similar technic has been used.

The problem of truncated shadow exposed in my 1st shot of KJFK is due to a small variation of altitude between texture and ground in your scenery. I found a solution.
Apply the flatten line (scenery.cfg) of the old Simflyers scenery to your scenery and it solves the shadow problem. Here's the line :

Flatten.0=13,N40 41.17,W73 48.39,N40 39.09,W73 43.84,N40 36.25,W73 46.09,N40 38.61,W73 51.22

Overflying the parkings, I found a missing taxiway line in front of gates 20 to 30 (terminal 4). It's a part of taxiway K.

Hope this help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 12:33:21 am »
Apply the flatten line (scenery.cfg) of the old Simflyers scenery to your scenery and it solves the shadow problem. Here's the line :

Flatten.0=13,N40 41.17,W73 48.39,N40 39.09,W73 43.84,N40 36.25,W73 46.09,N40 38.61,W73 51.22

Well, glad it fixed the issue for you but, it shouldn't be necessary, because the scenery alread has its own flatten embedded in the BGL. You fixed this issue on your system, because you probably still have something else in conflict, and the flatten switch in the scenery.cfg takes precedence overy everything.