Author Topic: CRASH!  (Read 7026 times)

mnsbell

CRASH!
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:15:20 am »
I attempted to install JFK and it caused fs9 to crash and now will not run! not happy not happy at all. ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: CRASH!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 01:05:50 pm »
Nobody else reported it so far, and we already had more than a thousand downloads.

Also, the Addon Manager that comes with JFK is exactly the same that everybody was using with O'Hare and Zurich, we haven't updated it for JFK.

It's surely a system issue. Verify the following:

- You don't have an antivirus running and configured for heuristic search. Sometimes, antivirus program gets confused with this option. Try turnin if off, or try to turn off the antivirus and see if it runs.

- You are missing some Windows components or you turned off system services that should be on by default. Look for Cryptographic services to be on.

- You haven't Windows fully updated

- FS9 wasn't properly closed when you installed the scenery, so the installer wasn't able to update some files because they were locked. To fix this:

1) Reboot

2) manually delete these files from the FS9\modules folder: bglman.dll, bglman.dat, bglman_fsdt.dat bglman_skymakers.dat

3) Run the scenery installer again, verify that is downloading the files you just deleted from the internet as soon as it starts

mnsbell

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:09:50 pm »
Well it took to three in the morning but now everything works fine, I downloaded a new installer and that corrected the problem even though i'm still not sure what is was that was wrong. However I do appreciate the quick response to my problem.

THANK YOU! ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:28:46 pm by virtuali »

Stabilo

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:48:48 pm »
Hi

Yes, I have just tried to install JFK and now my FS9 setup is trashed and I am not at all happy. I have never had any problems before. I followed the advice to reboot, manually delete the 4 files as instructed, ran the installer again and still the same problem.  I never have virus scanners operating.

Now when I try to start FS9, I get an error message saying this application cannot run when debuggers are active...??? I have never seen this message before, and nothing has changed on my PC since I turned it off last night.  I can click on OK, then I am told that my Zurich and O'hare are old and out of date and will not run, even though they are both the newest versions. 

I have completely uninstalled JFk, including the addon manager, then re-installed the stand alone addon manager in an attempt to at least get Zurich and O'hare working again, but no luck, they are gone.  Now I wish I had never installed JFK!!!

Regards
James

OK, now an update!  I reinstalled my O'Hare version 1.1 which does not access the internet to download files for the addon manager, and now Zurich and O'Hare are working again and I get no error messages when I start FS9.  I don't think I will risk installing JFK again.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:04:44 pm by Stabilo »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:38:37 pm »
Now when I try to start FS9, I get an error message saying this application cannot run when debuggers are active...???

This because you are probably using an old version of the Addon Manager installer, or an old version of a scenery you had, that wasn't compatible with the >2GB patch and didn't checked which FS9.EXE you had. This has been fixed in later version.

I can click on OK, then I am told that my Zurich and O'hare are old and out of date and will not run, even though they are both the newest versions. 

This just confirm what I'm saying: either the scenery is outdated, or the Addon Manager is. You end up in this situation, if you install a new version, and try to go back to the old one, without first uninstalling everything.

Also, the current version will always automatically get the very latest versions, which are guaranteed to work, but you need to have everything updated. If you mix-match releases, it will not work.

So, uninstall everything, then reinstall only the most current versions.

I have completely uninstalled JFk, including the addon manager, then re-installed the stand alone addon manager in an attempt to at least get Zurich and O'hare working again, but no luck, they are gone.

Of course they are: if you keep trying to use old Zurich / O'Hare with the new Addon Mananger, they will never work: the program will give you a warning, like you said. So, the solution is not to downgrade the Addon Manager trying to use the old versions, the solution is to update the scenery,exactly like the program advised you to do. If you download again current Zurich and O'Hare installer, they are guaranteed to work with JFK.

Stabilo

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »
Hi

Thank you, everything you say makes perfect sense. So just to confirm my understanding, I should download the latest version of Zurich and O'hare, then completely uninstall the versions I currently have. Would you reccommend an installation order for all the sceneries, Zurich first, then O'hare etc, or does it not make any difference?

Thanks for your help

James

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 08:27:24 pm »
Yes, you need to use all the latest installer for the sceneries, uninstalling all of them will be probably better.

The order of installation doesn't really matter, if you are using the current version.

Don't worry about anything related to activation: as long as you don't reinstall Windows, you will not lose your registration, even if you entirely uninstall FS9.