Author Topic: Virtual Memory Problems with YVR  (Read 9901 times)

callegro

Virtual Memory Problems with YVR
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:21:21 am »
Hi there,

Doing a flight last night from CYVR-RJAA, I had some memory problems. Parked at the gate with GSX on and using the PMDG 747. After hearing a few notifications, I finally got a window that popped up saying the usual "ran out of virtual memory." This hasn't happened to me on any other of the FSDT sceneries that I have (LAX, HNL). Do you guys have any suggestions?

Hnla

Re: Virtual Memory Problems with YVR
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:22:06 pm »
The previous posts from Boone illustrates precisely the issue: this was discussed so much, here and on such many forums and of course, the problem is not CYVR in itself, but simply the fact you are running too many add-ons in THAT area, with a too memory consuming airplane AND with too high settings.

The combination of all above, result in having exhausted your memory and FSX, being a 32 bit app, will never, ever, use more than 4GB or RAM. In fact, the out of memory message comes before that, so it really can't use even the full 4GB, but something less.

The solution, as discussed in many other threads is one of the following:

- Lower your settings

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time in that area

- Use a different airplane

- Install CYVR with lower resolution textures, the installer clearly indicates an estimate how much RAM/VRAM each setting will take

- Use DX10, this will lower RAM requirements too.

Of course, you can also use a combination of all above. For example, using DX10 AND install CYVR with, let's say, 2048x2048 textures for ground and 1024x1024 textures for dynamic shadows, should result in saving about 500-700MB, without having to renounce to anything else of the other add-ons you are using in the area.

callegro

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:07:31 pm »
Hi V,

Thanks for the reply...my first post on here, so my appologies for not searching for this, I'll these options a go....I did reinstall YVR with lower resolutions, but still the memory is low. I'm going to try the DX10 option. I'll let you know how it goes.

tiger7881

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:27:02 pm »
Hm, Ok I will try ofcourse to lower settings. However, my rig is: i7 2400k 3.4 ghz, GeForce 680, 8 GIGs ram, some suff overclocked I am running liquid cooling on cpu. I have tons of addons, but for some reason the crash is near CYVR Only. EGLL by aerosoft is a heavy add-on as well, and I have low fps as soon as I approach it on the PMDG 737 or aerosoft airbus x but doesnt crash. The reason here, is I am flying with around 40 fps just above the mountains in vancuver, Passing MILLS wp, and as son as I am near BASRA around 10000ft near the vancuver downtown ( CYVR on the left) The game crashes out of the sudden. No indication in low FPS, everything goes smooth. But, the most important thing is, is I depart from CYVR to anywhere than everything is fine, game doesnt crash. So this happens only on approaches. Any other solutions?

I am running a high end rig here, around 40 fps in most of the places in the world.

Thanks again,

Tiger7881

Hnla

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »
Ok I will try ofcourse to lower settings. However, my rig is: i7 2400k 3.4 ghz, GeForce 680, 8 GIGs ram, some suff overclocked I am running liquid cooling on cpu.

You can have the most powerful system on earth and that won't change the fact that FSX can only use 4GB of memory.

I have tons of addons, but for some reason the crash is near CYVR Only

By "Crash" do you mean out of memory ?

No indication in low FPS, everything goes smooth. But, the most important thing is, is I depart from CYVR to anywhere than everything is fine, game doesnt crash. So this happens only on approaches. Any other solutions?

Again, are you saying you get an OOM error? Or another crash?

tiger7881

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »
Wrong topic I posted please see topic FSX crash near CYVR

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9571.0.html

72westy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 06:21:09 am »
Ok I will try ofcourse to lower settings. However, my rig is: i7 2400k 3.4 ghz, GeForce 680, 8 GIGs ram, some suff overclocked I am running liquid cooling on cpu.

You can have the most powerful system on earth and that won't change the fact that FSX can only use 4GB of memory.

I have tons of addons, but for some reason the crash is near CYVR Only

By "Crash" do you mean out of memory ?

No indication in low FPS, everything goes smooth. But, the most important thing is, is I depart from CYVR to anywhere than everything is fine, game doesnt crash. So this happens only on approaches. Any other solutions?

Again, are you saying you get an OOM error? Or another crash?

FSX itself is unable to use 4GB of memory. A windows 32bit OS will not use more than 4GB but FSX itself is generally reserved for a max of 2GB. Now say you have Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) with 4GB RAM. Windows itself will use well over 1GB, then add other resources such as video, sound etc...once you turn FSX on you'll be lucky if you have a full 2GB left to run FSX.

Let's face it Microsoft did not think this one out well from the get go. They should have had 64bit in mind for FSX.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:23:26 am by 72westy »
Win10 Pro 22H2 19045.3448/Core i7 3770K/G-Skill 32GB DDR3 RAM CL7-8-8-24/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS F10/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB/Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD/(x3)1TB RAW Mushkin SSDs/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/Corsair RM-750/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/X56HOTAS/TrackIRPro5/Oculus Quest 2/Inateck KU5211