Author Topic: Strange night graphics problems  (Read 4886 times)

jho462

Strange night graphics problems
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »
hello

first off wanna say, love the airports

i have KLAS and i am getting some strange graphic glitches.
im running FSX in DX10

i have installed the following
FSX
Steves FSXDX10 Fixer
UTX
GEX
GSX
EZDOK
FSUIPC
FSDT KLAS
PMDG 777
PMDG 737

i recently did a reinstall of the entire FSX and these graphic anomalys did not appear untill i installed the KLAS addon
as you can see from the images im getting strange rainbow colors on the runways and in the scenery. these photos are taken from the NGX with runway lights on

any info on a fix for this would be great

Thanks in advance

JHo
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:04:42 pm by jho462 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange night graphics problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:34:58 am »
i recently did a reinstall of the entire FSX and these graphic anomalys did not appear untill i installed the KLAS addon as you can see from the images im getting strange rainbow colors on the runways and in the scenery. these photos are taken from the NGX with runway lights on

They don't have anything to do with KLAS, you are using the NGX, which uses its own custom runway lights, that are nothing special, just a plain semi-transparent texture projected on a large polygon that covers the ground around the airplane to create the effect.

Since FSX textures are DXT compressed, they have limited color depth and, when they are blended together in such complex way (the photoreal background blends its own night textures and FSX blends the PMDG custom light texture on top of it) the limited bit depth to create the blending will cause such color banding.

Of course, you wouldn't notice it so much on a default airport, that doesn't have an hi-res photoreal background and you will not notice too if you use a default airplane, even on KLAS, which doesn't use that trick to create custom runway lights.

jho462

Re: Strange night graphics problems
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24:03 pm »
That does make perfect sense

thanks for the explanation, is there anything i can do to make it any better?

Thanks Again
JHo