Author Topic: Performance Loss: Around the control tower and terminal area  (Read 14327 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Performance Loss: Around the control tower and terminal area
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 10:40:48 am »
I don't get any issues with your LAX scenery, I have 26-30fps in the VC there.

You have avoided my question:

Explain MY fps AT CYVR

aceridgey

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:22 am »

You're in a default aircraft with unlimited fps so they could have jumped to anything in that picture.

32 fps from there, isn't exactly a good number either.

Now mine?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »

First, it's NOT 32 (read better), but it's 36.9.

You're in a default aircraft with unlimited fps so they could have jumped to anything in that picture.

Entirely not relevant: you are reporting a LARGE DROP in fps when looking at that side. I have about 38-40 fps on average so, 37 fps on the side shows there's no significant drop.

And my system is not really the best one for FSX, it's a 4 years old MacPro with Xeon processor at 2.66 Ghz, not really the best solution to get high fps from FSX, it's a system that is optimized to run many programs at the same time, not a single program as fast as possible.

What's your fps when NOT looking at the Tower ? You mentioned a "drop", how big is ?

What's your fps with a default airplane ? Just so we'll know if you are measuring the fps of your airplane or the fps of the scenery...

aceridgey

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 06:53:22 pm »

First, it's NOT 32 (read better), but it's 36.9.

[...]

What's your fps when NOT looking at the Tower ? You mentioned a "drop", how big is ?

What's your fps with a default airplane ? Just so we'll know if you are measuring the fps of your airplane or the fps of the scenery...

FPS not looking at the tower is 30 with no change.

Standby for default plane I'll get that to you [although I am sure it will be similar to the payware]

Alex

Hnla

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »

32 fps looking at the entire airport isn't a good number? Wow, last time I checked 32 fps was pretty smooth, must be something wrong with your perception of smoothness.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 10:47:37 am »
32 fps looking at the entire airport isn't a good number? Wow, last time I checked 32 fps was pretty smooth, must be something wrong with your perception of smoothness.

He commented on my screenshot, saying that 32 fps is not much for a default airplane, however my screenshot displays 36.9 fps, not 32...

And, in any case, he said "I don't get any issues with your LAX scenery, I have 26-30fps in the VC there" so, he surely must know that 26-30 fps is very good on a large airport.

But the issue discussed here is the reported large fps drop when looking at the control tower. My screenshot simply proved there's no such drop. Yes, of course, I have more than 45-50 when looking at the sea, but that should be quite obvious. What counts is that it remains very good ( 37 fps on my system is VERY good) even in the worse case scenario.

Of course, if he gets 30 fps too with a default airplane, and 15 with a too memory hungry airplane, we are not discussing scenery performance anymore here, but airplane performances.

A possible cause might be: that airplane is taking a lot of VRAM so, in combination with the scenery, the amount of VRAM used is too much and the card is start to swap memory between main RAM, and that will have a large impact on fps. Obviously not a problem of the scenery, it's exactly the same issue of OOMs: using many things in combination, it's not anybody's "fault" if there are problems, and it will be necessary to start lower settings, not use HD textures, use less stuff together, use DX10, etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:55:26 am by virtuali »

G.Bosak

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:57 pm »
Hi there guys,

I am still testing to see where my performance drop is regarding the scenery. I have everything set to 1096 and lowest install settings.

If I go on the fly and look at the control tower and terminal area the fps suffer very very badly. As soon as I look away from it, the frame rates increase dramatically.

Alex

If we talk about performance, more information is needed.

your system (cpu + clockspeed; which gpu?)
attach your complete fsx.cfg
attach screenshot of Nvida inspector
which aircraft, traffic

there are some setup parameters which can result in unwanted performance hit. Let's find them.

Btw. the standard fps indication is useless, you better start using the advanced fps indication. Its easy to unlock
with the tool flusifix. It will show min fps, average fps, max. fps and variances. Very necessary for smooth appearance.

you can also manually put this into fsx.cfg:

Code: [Select]
[TextInfo.2]
AverageFrameRate=1,2
FrameRate=1,1
FuelPercentage=1,4
GForce=1,3
LockedFrameRate=

You will see the advanced fps info after pushing shift+Z 2 times.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:57 am »
After seeing this thread I was tempted to go get this scenery just to see how it performs for myself, as I can't believe it could be that hard on FPS as some were mentioning or that there was something wrong with the scenery.

As expected, this is actually the best performing scenery by FSDT that I have gotten yet and I own all of them except for the Hawaiian airports or packages.

The system used in these screen is a 2700K (not overclocked yet), 8GB 2133ghz RAM, GTX 670 FTW 2GB, Win7 XP.

Tested with UT2 traffic at 70% and WOAI cargo packages at 100% and the PMDG 777. I am getting 50 to 60 FPS in the exterior view and 40 to 50 FPS in the T7 VC.

Below are screen shots showcasing the brilliant looks and performance of this airport.

Also of note, I am not running any extra AFCAD files in the area and I have no duplicate AFCAD's in conflict with the airport and the system is properly tuned and tweaked from the OS to FSX itself.

As usual with FSDT airports, this one is a winner and the best performer yet.

As to Alex and Rockliffe, the only thing I can think would cause the problems with this scenery is a bad tweak, some hidden AFCAD that is messing with the scenery, video driver problems, or some combination of any of these. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the scenery though on my rig, no flickers, flashes, or bad FPS. Hope you guys get it figured out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:28:22 am by cmpbllsjc »