Author Topic: Marshaller behaviour  (Read 2976 times)

Ricovandijk

• Facebook
Marshaller behaviour
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:10 pm »
Hi just a suggestion here:

I am in the luxury position to be able to compare GSX marshallers with the real peeps out there with the ping pong bats.

The follow me: In GSX they have the bad habit to turn very close in front of you, then stop,.. and than drive away. the pilot must also stop. and then follow. In reality, the marshaller will keep a safe distance to start with and doesn't stop at all so he doesn't interrupt the aircraft from taxiing.

In GSX, the marshaller drives off at a predetermined speed. in reality, the marshaller keeps a safe distance and makes sure the aircraft can continue at its own speed. The follow me will adapt his speed to the pilots speed. I think this could be programmed by giving the marshaller a target distance from the aircraft rather than a speed. also, when the aircraft is accelerating and therefore getting to close to the car, the marshaller should signal slow down.

I also have an issue with runway crossings, not sure if this can be easily fixed, but if traffic is approaching/taking off, Its better for the marshaller to wait  ::)

On the stand, I believe the indication of left or right is in GSX based on how far the aircraft is from the centreline rather than a combination of distance from, and angle towards the centreline. If a marshaller sees the aircraft too far to the right from his position, he will indicate a right turn for the pilot. once the angle is enough to correct, he will indicate straight forward and thereafter a left turn until straight on the centreline. see illustration.

Also the stopping point can be slightly wider. I had a couple of times rolling slowly forward, the GSX marshaller is very early with his (approach to a-) stop signal. then I came to a stop a bit early. In reality, the marshaller would have thought... well, not exactly spot on, but whatever, or if he wants me to come forward a bit more start the funky chicken again.

In GSX. the persistent grumpy guy kept staying with his hands up, 1 inch open. So I had to apply breakaway power, roll forward for an inch.. the aircraft started rolling, I hit the brakes.. but got him in panic already doing the stop immediate signal! and than I got comment for bad parking..  :P

Overall I think GSX is good and getting better, keep it up and thanks for the recent cargo updates! really like them!  ;)

Rico