Author Topic: Airport now unflyable  (Read 3609 times)

abrinson

Airport now unflyable
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:48 pm »
I've been having problems lately, mainly with KLAX and I can't fly here anymore. All I get are OOMs. At any other airport I don't get this problem, but here I do. Not sure why but it has become a real problem and I can no longer fly here. My specs are well enough to use this scenery. I've tried other airports and no problem at all. I'm going to reinstall it and hope for the best but it is disappointing none the less.
Alexander Brinson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airport now unflyable
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:32 am »
As for any other thread about OOM, which has been discussed too many times, it's NEVER, EVER a problem of a single item, the problem is the sum of EVERYTHING you install, which can't surpass 4GB in total, read the explanation here, there's nothing really much to add:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9017.msg72396#msg72396

It's about JFK but, since the problem is not any single scenery, it applies to any other configuration out there.

The scenery obviously doesn't "grow" by itself, and we haven't updated KLAX since months so, it can't become "unflyable" by itself, it's clear that you are landing there with something that takes more memory than before.

Before the PMDG 777 was released, the most memory-hungry airplane out there was the PMDG 737 NGX so, most users flying with that airplane struggled to have all their installed add-ons to fit into the absolute, not extendable, 4GB memory limit.

The 777 seems to take about 200MB MORE than then 737 NGX.

This means, if you are flying that one, and your configuration was carefully optimized to fly everywhere with the 737 NGX, if you go to the SAME airport with the 777, you WILL get an OOM if you were already close to the limit, and you'll be mislead thinking "it's the scenery", when of course it isn't, since the scenery surely hasn't changed.

As discussed in too many other thread, since those 4GB are not negotiable, not unless we'll have a sim written in 64 bit code, regardless how high your system specs are, there's no way you can use more than 4GB for FSX.

This means, you must either:

- Lower your settings.

- Use DX10.

- Use 2048 or 1024 texture size.

- Don't use so many add-ons at the same time.

Any of these is valid so, you have options.