Author Topic: OOM with New York from Drew. Design.  (Read 7546 times)

copilot767

OOM with New York from Drew. Design.
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »
I have an high end Computer.
Have flown about 12 flights from KBOS to NY, circling over Manhattan ( NY drew Design) and try landing at 04R.
Everytime before about 6 NM or just after landing OOM appeaer.

Airbus Extended, UTX ,GEX  ASE 2012..
Have set low settings in scenery.. But everytime OOM..

Flight number 13 exactly same flight and settings deactivated KJFK to default..This time I a have NO OOM..
Fsdream team KJFK seems to really eat a lot..Any solution..

Drews Design says they will make their own JFK, so no OOM appear with the new Manhattan..
Do you have a solution for FSdream KJFK ?

theshack440

Re: OOM with New York from Drew. Design.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:27 pm »
Actually, in my experience (and I believe the experience of others as well) FSDTs JFK is quite frame rate friendly. Perhaps even more so than the default. What seems to be happening is that JFK is merely the straw that broke the camel's back (so to speak). In other words, your system is probably very overwhelmed in such an fps intense area with all of the addons that you are using and JFK simply pushed it slightly over the edge. If you want to use FSDTs JFK when flying into NYC you probably just have to disable some other addons that you use when flying into the area.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
Have flown about 12 flights from KBOS to NY, circling over Manhattan ( NY drew Design) and try landing at 04R. Everytime before about 6 NM or just after landing OOM appear.

If you search around, you'll find plenty of similar reports of OOM with that Manhattan scenery.

Flight number 13 exactly same flight and settings deactivated KJFK to default..This time I a have NO OOM..

That doesn't obviously mean JFK was the problem. If you are very close to OOM with that huge Manhattan scenery, adding a detailed airport might be enough to cross the memory exhaustion boundary.

OF COURSE, if you remove that huge Manhattan scenery, you will see NO OOM either with FSDT JFK and all the rest of the things you are running so, who's to blame ?

When people will start realize (and after all the discussions about CYVR, we thought this was already taken from granted) that is NEVER a single add-on causing OOMs ? It's the SUM of EVERYTHING you run in an area, because FSX can't use more than 4GB in total. This is an hard limit, and can't be changed, and this means you should start limit what you are installing in a certain area, because you can't expect to just add stuff, those 4GB WILL eventually be filled.

Fsdream team KJFK seems to really eat a lot..Any solution..

No. JFK is one of the lighter sceneries we have done BECAUSE it was carefully made to run in a very crowded area.

But you can't expect it to use  LESS memory than the default. This because the default JFK uses a lot of canned library objects, but nobody would want to buy a payware add-on scenery with default libraries. Since JFK is 100% custom textures and objects, it will obviously use a bit more RAM of the default JFK. But BECAUSE of this, is even lighter on fps than default.

Drews Design says they will make their own JFK, so no OOM appear with the new Manhattan..

That's to be seen, but taking less memory in FSX is also a way to lower the fps. FS8/9 code, for example, is more compact (= takes less memory) but is MUCH slower. So, even if they manage to save a bit of memory, it will be at a greater cost in fps. And New York is not an area where you can afford losing even a single frame per second.

Since we use only FSX native code, we use a bit more RAM compared if we used FS8/9 code, but it also means we can use the GPU better AND you'll save MORE memory with our sceneries, if using DX10. This because, the more VRAM (video memory) a scenery use, the more is penalized by running under DX9, and the more memory savings you'll see when switching to DX10.

Do you have a solution for FSdream KJFK ?

Since JFK is not the problem, there's obviously no solution to speak of, not related to JFK in any way. The memory savings solutions might be:

- Apply the released patches for that huge Manhattan scenery, which will save some memory, of course reducing texture quality a lot.

- Turn off HD textures

- Use DX10.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:08:41 pm by virtuali »

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:06 pm »
I wonder how many times Virtuali is going to have to explain this to these numskulls..

copilot767

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:57 am »
I have no experience with DX10 mode in FSX. Is DX10 the future in FSX, just rembember I have tried preview DX10 and it was not good and some scenerys not working.
I have seen something about a "Steves DX10 program FSX" but do not exactly know what it means..
But maybe DX10 is possible to use now in new FSX days :)  ??

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:03:37 pm »
Well, DX10 will give you some breathing room, but it's not the solution of every possibly memory problem. You will still have to be careful what to install.

Besides, reading on Drzewiecki forum your post, I see that you finally managed to run FSDT JFK + Manhattan without OOM, by removing one of the files from the Manhattan scenery so, JFK wasn't clearly the problem.

Of course, I'm not saying that Manhattan IS the problem either. It's the combination of *everything* (including airplane, AI, surrounding scenery, etc.) that fills memory, none can be blamed for exhausting your memory.

But since I also saw some misleading statements about how much VAS FSDT JFK supposedly takes, let's give some hard numbers, this is the result of a quick test I've just made, using exactly the same settings, save installing/removing JFK and changing textures resolution.

default C172, no AI, number is the TOTAL memory taken by the whole FSX, checked with ProcessExplorer. I've restarted FSX after each change.

DX9
default JFK = 879 MB
FSDT JFK with 1024 textures 1.0 GB
FSDT JFK with 2048 textures 1.1 GB
FSDT JFK with 4096 textures 1.2 GB

DX10
default JFK = 760 MB
FSDT JFK with 1024 textures 899 MB
FSDT JFK with 2048 textures 960 MB
FSDT JFK with 4096 textures 1.0 GB

This means, JFK by *itself*, takes from 120 to 320 MB (depending on textures resolution) more than default, under DX9, and from 140 to 260 MB more than default, under DX10

I believe this is more than fair, considering how much more detailed is the airport compared to the default JFK, and it's consistent to the theory that, the more VRAM you use ( = larger textures ) the more memory savings you get with DX10. But JFK is not so much VRAM intensive as, let's say, CYVR, which gets even more savings by running under DX10.

I don't think it would be very easy to use much memory than that to create a detailed JFK.

And, you might try running the same test but, instead of turning on/off FSDT JFK, you might try measuring memory by turning on/off the Manhattan scenery, and draw your own conclusions about who's really was eating your memory in the NY area.

That was just to set things straight.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:06:23 pm by virtuali »

copilot767

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:49:36 pm »
Thanks a lot for answer:-)..Will try with different settings..

copilot767

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:44:30 pm »
Can you tell me exactly how I set up my DX10, after I have checked PREVIEW 10 in FSX.
My antialiasing looks terrible after have checked the PREVIEW.
Have searched a lot, but cant find any instructions..Finding a lot of videos in DX10 with great antialising.
I use Nvidia Inspector..
What am I doing wrong ?

copilot767

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:52 am »
Found the way, Now having Preview DX10 with sharp lines :)

pcubine

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »
I wonder how many times Virtuali is going to have to explain this to these numskulls..

Maybe once every two weeks. I was thinking this explaination of OOM should be at the beginning of each sub forum. But that probably wouldn't help because people just blindiy ask questions about problems without reading the sub forums, searching on the forums or the Internet for a solution. It's a lot easier to let someonelse answer your questions.

Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD