Author Topic: how to make GSX work with engines running  (Read 7577 times)

teebirdie2

how to make GSX work with engines running
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to  make GAX work with engines running? Is there a file work around that will allow the program to perform at the gate etc> ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: how to make GSX work with engines running
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »
You can't.

culley35

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:02 pm »
buy the quality wings 757, it has an option to start up and shut the plane down quickly, my fav plane with fsdreamteam products

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:36:40 pm »
There is a reason why you can't, in the real world they the engines will always be off until pushback.

ScottecLEMD

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:09 pm »
Not strictly true, e.g. BAe J41, ATP etc used to start one engine on stand prior to pushback.

Ken

blaunarwal

• Computerpilot since FS4 (1990)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:11:05 am »
Just saw this discussion. It's a safety matter and also an economical idea, to start engines only prior to taxi out. They sometimes use just one engine to taxi, instead of two to save fuel. I think all jet passenger aircraft have an extra engine for power supply, APU (auxillary power unit). This needs to run, if the airport can't provide an APU on a cart or underground supply of pressurized air and electricity. Small A/C like the J41 don't have an APU. But they have startes in the engine I guess, which allow them to startup the enginges without pressure air, like jet engines. Just checked some videos of Twin Otters in the Maledivan. They shut down the engines on the islands and start them without any power supply, after passengers have boarded. So for me, it's absolutely ok, to shut engines down for services. Some good FSX aircraft provide an APU simulation, to have power with main engines out.

Dan

ScottecLEMD

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:33:47 pm »
You will find that turboprop aircraft will prefer to use ground power units to start the engines as often as possible as it saves wear and tear on the aircraft  batteries.

I worked for Loganair for many years on the ramp and 9 times out of 10 we used GPU´s for engine start, both engines.  The Twin Otters would use reverse thrust to move back out of the gate, Shorts 3-60, J41´s and ATP´s were pushed back.  The Shorts and ATP´s would be pushed back with propellers in feather position.

At remote stations without GPU´s aircraft would use their internal batteries.  However, starting a Twin Otter with the aircraft batteries would involve starting 1 engine, engaging that engines generator and then waiting maybe two to three minutes before starting the second.

Ken