Author Topic: Airport runway lighting and REX, FTX Light Tweaker, UTX Night Lights, etc  (Read 7714 times)

captain420

I bought PHNL and was wondering if you guys use custom lighting for your airports? I use REX to change up the look of my runway, aircraft lights and I know it changes out the halo.bmp file. Do all your airports use this halo.bmp file for overall lighting? I want to be able to modify the lights at some of your airports because they seem kind of off, like floating above ground and not in place exactly where it needs to be, and also the size of the bloom is extremely large. Is there any conflict with REX, UTX night lights or FTX's light tweaker that might overwrite your lighting files?

I just want to have a clear understanding of how you implement lighting in your airports so that I can better understand on how I should go about to modify certain lights in FSX without have one program overriding each other.

Thanks!

captain420

Can I get an answer to this please?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I don't know much about all the products you mentioned and what type of files they change.

And, there's no "rule" about how we do lights in a scenery. First, because not all of them are made by the same designer and, because each scenery is different: some uses default lights, some uses a combination of default lights and custom lights, some use custom effect with default textures, some uses default effects with custom textures, some use custom lights and textures even for runways and approach lights so, each one can be affected (or not) differently by any of the 3rd party products you asked about.

captain420

Okay but what about FSDT's airports, do you guys use custom runway lights or the defaults? I want to know if they use halo.bmp and the RUNWAY_SURFACE_SCALAR= variables inside the FSX.CFG file to be able to adjust the size of the lights.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Okay but what about FSDT's airports, do you guys use custom runway lights or the defaults? I want to know if they use halo.bmp and the RUNWAY_SURFACE_SCALAR= variables inside the FSX.CFG file to be able to adjust the size of the lights.

As I've said in my previous message:

And, there's no "rule" about how we do lights in a scenery.

PHNL it's one that doesn't use fully custom runway lights, so it should be possible to affect the light effect size with that parameter.