Author Topic: vLSO bugs and complaints  (Read 25330 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: vLSO bugs and complaints
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 07:49:09 am »
PhantomTweak,

You're dead on correct.  I did send the file from my main FSX directory.  Thank you for pointing that out.
Glad I could help out :) It took me the longest time to figure out where it really was myself.
Don't get used to the "PT is correct" thing, though. It's such a sadly rare occurrence...
 ;D ;D :D

Good fortune and wonderful flights to all!
Pat☺

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 01:48:46 pm »
HornetMech, thanks for the file!
There are a number of FCLP sceneries defined in your .cfg and they all are set as active.

The fact that FSchecker didn't report them (as well as vLSO didn't recognize any of them) means that the sceneries were either incorrectly installed or some files within their folders were corrupted. The program looks for a .tag file in each FCLP folder. This file contains all the necessary data and must be present. Please double check again and make sure that each scenery has its own tag file, located in its scenery subfolder. Note: there are two subfolders in each scenery folder - scenery and texture.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

HornetMech

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 04:10:40 pm »
Paddles,

I think we might be making some progress here.  I checked the Scenery folders for Lemoore, Oceana, and Meridian and there are no files with the .tag extension in any of them.  I then used the Windows search function to look for *.tag in the entire Addon Scenery folder and it gave me 3 results.  It found .tag files for all 3 sceneries but they're not in the Scenery folder like you indicated they should be.  Instead they are each located in their respective Mk14 subfolders.  When I installed these sceneries I followed the instructions provided in their included .pdf documents exactly.  Just as I did when I installed them on my old Windows 7 machine and everything worked perfectly.  I'm not sure what's going on this time.  Any guesses?  And what should I do from here?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:17:16 pm by HornetMech »
"Swap out the ECA"

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 05:48:15 am »
Ok, as I can see you have my FCLP packs for the three Uchi's sceneries. There are two .cmd files for each scenery - KN??_Mk14_Add.cmd and KN??_Mk14_Remove.cmd - and a readme file (in the KNMM pack there's no readme, that's my fault). Each readme describes how to add the trailer to a particular scenery, but basically the procedure is similar, the difference is in names of files and folders only. So, to add/remove the Mk14 IFLOLS to a scenery, just doubleclick releveant cmd files.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:54:18 am by Paddles »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 07:27:14 am »
I don't trust auto-installers at all. Old problem I have.
I looked through those .cmd files. All they do is add the files in the Mk.14 files, scenery and texture, into the appropriate folders. So I did that myself. Works great :)
All that's left is the FCLP light command files, which just turn a set of lights on for night ops. That one I use. Quicker and easier than doing it myself, and I'm lazy.  ;D

Have fun! I know I do...
Pat☺

HornetMech

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 09:49:09 pm »
I apologize but now I'm getting a little confused on this.  I was under the impression that vLSO worked with the Lemoore, Oceana, and Meridian sceneries from Uchi irregardless of whether one was utilizing your Mk14 trailers or not.  Am I wrong on that?  If you decide to use the Mk14 trailers does that change the way vLSO interacts with FSX and the addon sceneries? Are the .tag files specific to the Mk14 trailers or the sceneries?  Or both?  Are the .tag files on my system in the wrong location?

I had to run the KNLC_Mk14_Add.cmd 2 or 3 times before the trailers actually appeared next to the runways.  I not sure why I had to do this.  I ran the Remove.cmd before re-running the Add.cmd each time.  I don't know if that was necessary but I just did it for good measure I guess.  I still can't get them to show up at Oceana or Meridian and I've tried running the .cmd file as an administrator and normally.  Still no vLSO recognition of Lemoore, Oceana, or Meridian.

I apologize for all the questions but I just want to understand what went wrong.  I'm thinking it's related to Windows 10 since I installed everything (Uchi's sceneries and your Mk14 trailers, Paddles) in accordance with their respective instructions just as I did on my Windows 7 machine.  Everything worked perfectly on the Windows 7 system.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:50:09 pm by HornetMech »
"Swap out the ECA"

PhantomTweak

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2016, 07:40:15 am »
Do you, by chance, have your FSX, sceneries, or vLSO installed in C:\Program Files or \Program Files (X86)? I understand a lot of people have problems with that situation, as Windows puts extra "user protections" in place in those folders.
Bear in mind, I am far, far from an expert with vLSO, or it's add-on sceneries and such. Having said that, I believe, and may well be wrong, that the Mk.14 add-ons to Uschi's scenery should be integrated into them. IE: take the files in the Mk.14's scenery folder, and put them into the existing scenery folder of Uschi's scenery. ALL the files, including the .tag file. Obviously, same for the Texture folder.
I believe, and may well be waaaay off-base here, that then vLSO will work with the sceneries you have. As far as I could tell, that's what the add.cmd file does. It just automates the process so you don't have to spend time cut-n-pasting files all over Yuma's half-acre. As soon as I can, I will try my method (again, I hate auto-installers of any kind), and let you know the result.
Hope this helps a little :)
Pat☺

HornetMech

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:02 pm »
PhantomTweak,

I do in fact have FSX installed in the C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory on my computer.  Addon sceneries are also run from the C:\Program Files(x86) directory (either within FSX or from their own directory (ie. FSXatWar and AICarriers).  vLSO, however, is located in C:\Users\*\Documents.  And I have heard the same in so far as people having problems with games installed in the Program Files directory in Windows.  However, That's the same place I had it installed on my windows 7 machine and I had no problems so I didn't feel there was a need to change anything when I moved to Windows 10 Pro.  And just to be clear, in case it's relevant here, I'm using a completely new machine with a fresh install of Win 10.  Not an upgrade from Win 7.  Also, I thought I read at some point that the issue with installing games, or simulators, in the main Program Files directory was related to Windows User Account Control.  I have always turned UAC off right after I install Windows due to it's intrusiveness and problems it can create while it's trying to "help you".  For my parents, I would recommend they leave UAC on, but not for someone like us.  I thought about trying to run FSX from another directory but I believe that would require a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSX and everything else.  I don't believe you can just cut and paste the directory but I could very well be wrong about that.  The thought of a complete reinstall of FSX and all the addons makes me feel sick.  :( :(
"Swap out the ECA"

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 05:44:42 am »
It certainly appears that installing and running flight simulators differs in W7 and W10. I'd suggest you reading this THE FSX COMPUTER SYSTEM: THE BIBLE - BY: NickN

Just a couple of Nick's advices on UAC:

UAC and WINDOWS DEFENDER: Shut these Windows features down immediately after Windows is installed and then reboot. This should be done before any drivers are installed.

Windows UAC (User Access Control) is useless to protecting a single user computer. It was designed to protect a office network from malware spreading across the network but will not protect the original computer system the malware was executed on, nor will it protect a single user system.

If you use FSX and 3rd party addons by now you are probably already aware that User Access Control can block proper function of addons and even FSX. UAC should be completely shut down for both system performance as well as stop issues with installing and running addons.

And about UAC in Windows 8 (UAC in Windows 10 is pretty much the same as in Windows 8 ):

Windows 8 users, you have my condolences. Properly shutting down UAC is completely different in Windows 8. Read this

And a very practical suggestion:

METHOD 1:
VERY IMPORTANT:  For this method to work, FSX, FS2004, P3D or any add-on product MAY NOT be installed in a "windows protected area/folder/directory" such as

\Program Files
\Program Files (x86)

You MUST install FSX/P3D to a folder you create on your main (C:) drive or alternative separate drive.

EXAMPLE: C:\FSX  or    F:|Flightsim    or install FSX/P3D any folder outside of the directories shown above

"The thought of a complete reinstall of FSX and all the addons makes me feel sick" - Which is better: spend a few hours more reinstalling all your stuff to a proper location or keep struggling with "Microsoft's infinite wisdom"?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:46:18 am by Paddles »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 07:33:39 am »
I believe I've read on another forum (AHEMflightsimAHEM...) that Win 10 "protects" \Program Files and \Program Files(x86) no matter how you set you UAC settings.
As a great man said, which is better, un-installing/re-installing FSX and all the wonderful add-ons, or keeping struggling with this day after day?
As to cut-n-pasting the game it's self, no that doesn't work. HOWEVER, except paywares, most freeware, FSXBA F/A-18c, just for a wild, top of my head example  ;D , can be simply cut-n-pasted to the new installation, no problem. I had a lot of problems with having to reinstall FS9 before I got FSX-SE, and I just got into the habit of zipping up the various folders that have add-ons. Things like \Guages, \Effects, and so on. Then I could just unzip them into the new installation, and tell it not to over-write. Poof! Add-ons installed. Only lengthy process was rebuilding the add-on scenery library. Small price to pay, IMO.
By the way, when I get the sim installed, and before I add anything at all, I always (now, anyway, could have saved a lot of head-aches if I had earlier...) zip up the game folder, everything. That way, I have a back-up of the "virgin" install, in case something (like me) messes up badly. I keep all my zipped up backups, add-ons and so on, on an external HD I can plug in easily, in case I want something off it. And with 7Zip, which is what I use, selecting individual files to unzip, and where to unzip them and so on, is very simple and easy. A huge plus for my poor ol' brain  :D
Payware is a horse of a different color, but really, and I hope this is the case, as long as you keep the confirmation e-mails, with the registration codes, pass-words, or whatever, you are golden.

Hope all my rambling is of some small benefit...
Pat☺

HornetMech

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
Why didn't you guys tell me all this before I reinstalled everything on my new machine?  :)  Ok. Well, I'm going to be out of town for about 2 weeks so I'll think about the joys of a fresh FSX install while I'm away.  Once again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate both of you working with me on this.  I will of course report back soon on my decision and how it turned out.
"Swap out the ECA"

PhantomTweak

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 07:44:49 am »
Why didn't you guys tell me all this before I reinstalled everything on my new machine?  Smiley
I'm sorry. My mind reading has been a bit off of late. Not sure why... :P  :D

Good luck!
Pat☺

HornetMech

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:21 pm »
It only took a little over a month, but I have finally reinstalled everything and have tested my new FSX install with vLSO at Lemoore and Oceana and on the Nimitz.  I'm happy to report that vLSO is now working as advertised ;D ;D ;D  My thanks again to both Paddles and PhantomTweak for their time working with me on this.
"Swap out the ECA"

PhantomTweak

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 08:14:42 pm »
I'm glad you got it all up-n-runnin!
Now, go enjoy the heck out of it :D
Pat☺