Author Topic: Editing DFW afcad brings problems for me  (Read 12657 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Editing DFW afcad brings problems for me
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 12:27:56 pm »
Hello, I am having the same problem as described from the two previous users, whenever I make a change to the KDFW AFCAD via ADE9X, absolutely everything in the scenery disappears.

This doesn't have anything to do with KDFW, of course, but it's something you did editing. Something that might cause a scenery to disappear, is a duplicate AFCAD, which you can easily create yourself if you are not careful, if you recompile the edited BGL with a different name and leave the original there.

Also, my add-on manager reported that KDFW was Active but not installed, however the only file I have overwritten is AP_KDFW.BGL, and the only way to correct the problem is to reinstall the scenery.

Then you must have edited some other file too, without checking it. The Addon Manager doesn't check the AFCAD of a scenery to check if the scenery is installed or not, for the precise reason you might want to edit it.

In case of KDFW, the file the Addon Manager checks to print the "Installed" or "Not Installed" message, is AP_KDFW_OBJ.bgl, and that's not an AFCAD so, if the Addon Manager said "Not Installed", it means you have removed it by mistake. It was removed because, if that file simply changed, the Addon Manager would report "Installed and Outdated" instead.

I've just made a small test, opened the AFCAD supplied with KDFW, named AP_KDFW.BGL, with ADE, change a gate assignment and then compiled the airport. ADE saved it as KDFW_ADEX_FSDT.BGL (_FSDT is added because those are the developer initials in my ADE config) to so, I made sure it was renamed back to AP_KDFW.BGL once copied in the fsdreamteam\KDFW\scenery folder, overwriting the original one. Of course, no problems whatsoever, and the airport loaded fine on the next FSX startup.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:36:57 pm by virtuali »

andyclv2

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 01:48:57 am »
hello again, thanks for the quick and detailed response. It seems to have worked, as I have edited and compiled multiple times. However, the one difference this time around was I did not compile directly into the KDFW scenery folder, and instead put it on the desktop and renamed it there then copied it over to the scenery folder. Do you think it would make a difference whether or not I compile and overwrite the original file at the same time?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:26 am »
Do you think it would make a difference whether or not I compile and overwrite the original file at the same time?

No, if FSX is not running while running ADE. Yes, if it does.