Author Topic: How to avoid building airport cache?  (Read 14125 times)

GerdD

Re: How to avoid building airport cache?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 06:36:37 pm »
OK. I give it up.
From my point of view GSX is bundled to tight with your Airport sceneries.
Therefore, I will not buy those ones in future anymore. I also will not update them
to ensure I still can use AES. This prevents me and you from future trouble.

KR
Gerd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 06:57:18 pm »
OK. I give it up.

Have you done the test I've asked ? Reinstall GSX and the Uninstall it immediately. You'll see the GSX folder WILL be removed.

From my point of view GSX is bundled to tight with your Airport sceneries.

In reality is exactly the opposite: BEFORE we had all set of GSX/Couatl files included in the airport installers, because what we included was almost everything that makes GSX, except GSX specific animations like people, etc. This would have resulted in the GSX code being ALWAYS removed, because it was installed by every product, so every product uninstaller would remove it.

It's NOW (not for all installers, only the most recent ones, CYVR and JFK V2 are made like this) that we unbundled from the airport installer, and simply suggested users to download and install GSX separately.

So, is exactly the opposite as you are thinking: when GSX was "bundled too tight" (in older installers), it was easier to uninstall, because any uninstaller had the chance to remove its folder, and when we unbundled it, making it an OPTIONAL (although suggested) download, the ability for all products to be self-updated, makes it more difficult to uninstall because it's now a shared component, which means it would be wrong to have it uninstall it automatically, but it must be asked to the user, which is exactly why there's a question about its removal at the end.

I also will not update them

Again you are missing the point: whenever you run their installer, they'll self update anyway and guess what, the things that self update themselves, are exactly the Couatl/GSX code, and the Addon Manager.

But that's not the point. The point is WHY you wanted to get "rid of " GSX in the first place, and initially you make it sound as if there was some "problem" with it, with unjustified airport cache updates.

THEN, you said that it should be considered normal to keep update the Scenery Library, so this means YOU were triggering such cache updates, because this is how it's supposed to work. But of course, this reasoning doesn't have any grounds because, if you REALLY are updating your Scenery Library, as you said you are, even the FSX own cache will update too!.

Which means, the "problem" of annoying cache updates because of frequent changes to the Scenery Library you wrongly attributed to GSX, would appear exactly the same by FSX itself so, using your reasoning, you should stop using FSX itself, because even FSX updates its cache each time you make a change to the Scenery Library, that's why it's wrong wanting to remove GSX *because* of that problem.

GerdD

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:38 pm »
I had re-installed it and de-installed it. And the Folder was not removed.
Thats what I am talking about all the time. Obviously You ignore what
should not be. Therefore i do not like to continue this kind of discussion.

This Forum should be a Helpdesk. And it should not be assumed that the
customer is stupid and the product is perfect. I have payed money for 8 FSDT Airports
and I expect that I can use them as usual. Independent of GSX.  No less, no more.

KR
Gerd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:33 pm »
I had re-installed it and de-installed it. And the Folder was not removed.

That's not what's happening here.

Thats what I am talking about all the time. Obviously You ignore what  should not be. Therefore i do not like to continue this kind of discussion.

I haven't ignored that, quite the opposite: I've said it doesn't happen, which obviously mean I've put attention that what you said! Of course, before telling that, I made a test, not that I wasn't sure, but you never know...And yes, I confirm that if you Install GSX and Uninstall it, the fsdreamteam\gsx folder WILL be removed.

Well, more precisely, every file that does what you reported (which is the Airport cache update) WILL be removed. If your GSX *installer* wasn't the latest version, it's possible the FOLDER might still be there, containing something that was updated online AFTER your GSX installer was released.

But this will NOT result in the problem that you reported, because you might still have some airport-related .PYE file, but NOT the main GSX file that does what you reported as a problem (which wasn't a problem to begin with)

Such .PYE files left there (again, because an installer will ONLY remove what *its* installer removed) will not "activate" GSX, they will only take a few kb of space on disc, but GSX will not "start" because of them, nobody will load them.

It's not the presence of the *folder* that makes GSX running, the one and only file that starts GSX is the fsdreamteam\couatl\GSX\__INIT__.PYE, and I guess THIS has been removed.

Of course, if you did what I've said, which means: installing GSX and then Uninstalling it immediately thereafter. What files, exactly, remains ? Surely not the GSX\__INIT__.PYE file, which means GSX is not starting.

Another possible reason why you might believe files were not removed, is if you are running both FSX and P3D on the same Windows installation. In that case, if you installed into P3D, you must reply to Uninstall from P3D when you run the Uninstaller, so the FSX copy will be left untouched.

This Forum should be a Helpdesk. And it should not be assumed that the customer is stupid and the product is perfect. I have payed money for 8 FSDT Airports and I expect that I can use them as usual. Independent of GSX.  No less, no more.

I'm helping you, with complete explanations, that costs time and effort. But you don't seem to accept them. Want something more ? What about starting a Teamviewer session, so I can show you how this works exactly as it should ?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:27:48 pm by virtuali »

GerdD

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:12 pm »
I cannot accept explanations who do not help in solving the problem I had.
If You do not believe what I am telling You,
it will be an endless discussion. I also do not want to waste my time.
You can believe or not that after Installation and de-Installation
with the latest download the complete gsx-folder in cuoatl-folder will remain here.
Including the __init__.pye file! And I do not use P3D.
It is a matter of fact that somehow this constelation can happen and
You never took this possibility into consideration. You never said I could
check if this folder or file is still there. Instead You where always defending the product
and where telling me what can not be. I do not think a Teamviewer session
between both of us makes much sense cause everything is fine for me now and I
do not need any further explanations.

KR
Gerd

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 03:34:18 pm »
I cannot accept explanations who do not help in solving the problem I had.

The explanation I've given you have the one and only purpose to explain you don't have any "problem" to begin with. As I've said, what triggers the constant cache rebuild is (according to YOUR description ) your changes to the Scenery Library.

And, this is obviously a FACT, if you change the Scenery Library, FSX WILL REBUILD ITS OWN CACHE TOO, REGARDLESS IF GSX IS INSTALLED, so your "problem" is not a problem in the first place: if you don't like a cache rebuild, even if you keep changing the Scenery Library (which is what you said), this is what FSX does, with our without GSX.

If You do not believe what I am telling You,

I've done way more than this: I offered you to CHECK your system directly, to prove you what's happening and why.

You can believe or not that after Installation and de-Installation with the latest download the complete gsx-folder in cuoatl-folder will remain here. Including the __init__.pye file! And I do not use P3D.

No, it doesn't. I'm fairly sure of that, because I've obviously tried it, just before replying to you. Installing GSX, the Uninstalling it, REMOVES the GSX files that allows GSX to start, they might left the folder there, but without the __INIT_.PYE, GSX will not start.

I do not think a Teamviewer session between both of us makes much sense cause everything is fine for me now and I  do not need any further explanations.  

A Teamviewer session would simply prove the __init__.pye WILL be removed, and it was ME that offered to do it, and It's YOU that are refusing it, and this is of course quite telling: while I'm sure the uninstaller uninstalls GSX, it would be still interesting to know WHY it doesn't on YOUR system, which obviously means I believe you, but that doesn't mean the installer is "at fault", just there might be an unknown factor in your own system, which might prevent the uninstaller to work as it supposed to do, and by refusing to do a session, you are doing good to nobody, because you would never discover a possible issue with your system, and you are preventing us to eventually fix a problem that might be similarly happen to another user.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:40:18 pm by virtuali »

Hnla

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:01 pm »
This Forum should be a Helpdesk.

??? Getting an actual person is 900X better to personally offer support and answer your questions directly. Especially with such promptness!