Author Topic: Correct way installing an updated version of LSGG  (Read 6100 times)

WebMaximus

Correct way installing an updated version of LSGG
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:29 pm »
After installing the latest version of GSX I was informed when launching FSX that my version of Geneva was old and needed to be updated.

Just wanted to ask what is the correct way of updating Geneva to the latest version, should I start by uninstalling/de-activating the currently installed version before I download and install the new version or could I simply install the new version on top of the old version?

Thanks in advance!
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Correct way installing an updated version of LSGG
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:50 pm »
Just wanted to ask what is the correct way of updating Geneva to the latest version, should I start by uninstalling/de-activating the currently installed version before I download and install the new version or could I simply install the new version on top of the old version?

It doesn't matter if you uninstall or not before. If it did, the uninstaller would clearly advise to do so. For example, the new JFK and O'Hare installers *require* to uninstall the old version, so they warn you and don't proceed if you don't uninstall first.

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:10:18 pm »
Great, thanks for your prompt reply!
Richard Åsberg

cptawsom

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:47 am »

It doesn't matter if you uninstall or not before. If it did, the uninstaller would clearly advise to do so. For example, the new JFK and O'Hare installers *require* to uninstall the old version, so they warn you and don't proceed if you don't uninstall first.

OK so we have to uninstall first.

Do we also have to deactivate first?

And then, reactivate again?

PS: Does the new version support AES, as the old did?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:57:12 am by cptawsom »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
OK so we have to uninstall first.

That's not what I've said:

It doesn't matter if you uninstall or not before

And I've said that, those installer that requires you to uninstall first, would clearly advise you to do it and will enforce this by not proceed if you don't uninstall first. LSGG was NOT included in my list of product where it's required to uninstall first, so you can safely assume LSGG doesn't require uninstalling first.

Do we also have to deactivate first?

First, installing/reinstalling doesn't have anything to do with the activation, which is never, ever lost "just" by Uninstalling. Deactivating a product is required (not really "required", best saying "suggested") only if you plan to reinstall on a DIFFERENT hardware.

But of course, exactly like in the case when if it was required uninstalling first, the installer would clearly alert to do so (so, again, not the case of LSGG), IF it was required to deactivate it first, the installer would clearly said so. Basically, the installers do know better: just trust them.

You are really making it way more complex than it is: to just upgrade a scenery, you don't need to do anything. Just run the installer.

If you WANT to uninstall, because it woud suit your sense of order, just do it. As I've said, it won't make any difference. And if it did, the installer would have been made in a way to make it very clear.

cptawsom

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »
Very clear answer Umberto. Thank you.

Any input on what I also asked before -> does the new version also support AES?