Author Topic: Multi PC Setup  (Read 9245 times)

Andrew737

Multi PC Setup
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:46 pm »
Hi Umberto

Recently I read a post where you kindly informed the OP he was allowed to install GSX in 4 or 5 PC's. I have an FSX server PC and 3 Scenery PC's as part of my 11 PC cockpit. I am planning to install GSX on the 4 PC's that deal with scenery and operate GSX from My main FSX server PC - my question is how will the 3 scenery PC's know when I make my GSX option selection on the Server?

The PC's are connected by WidevieW

Thanks
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Multi PC Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
my question is how will the 3 scenery PC's know when I make my GSX option selection on the Server?

They won't. I doubt this setup will ever work, and we don't have plans to allow explicit support for a network.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to have 3 PCs for the visuals. FSX is not fill-rate limited, which means if you have a reasonably powerful video card, so you fill-rate is more than FSX needs, it's far easier to drive 3 monitors with a single card, and that will result in a FAR easier setup, no compatibility problems with any 3rd party software, and it will be much cheaper to purchase and to maintain, because of less power consumption.

For example, a couple of ATI 7970 in a crossfire configuration (or the just announced 7990 which is a dual GPU on a single card), or the GTX690 which is a dual GPU too, will give you all the fill-rate FSX will ever need to drive 3 monitors, without having to use 3 PC and all the problems that comes with it.

Andrew737

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »
Hi Umberto

Thanks for the answer.

The problem with your suggestion will be performance - VAS usage and FPS issues will undoubtably arise; the resolution of 3 monitors on 1 card coupled with all my add-ons; NOT a cat in hells chance!

Thanks anyway
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
The problem with your suggestion will be performance - VAS usage

I haven't suggested to run everything on a single PC, but to run at least the visuals on a single PC. In this case, there will be no difference whatsoever on VAS usage, because the memory-hungry airplane (I guess this was your point about VAS usage) will run on a different PC.

and FPS issues will undoubtably arise. the resolution of 3 monitors on 1 card coupled with all my add-ons; NOT a cat in hells chance!

As I've said, FSX is generally NOT fill-rate limited, it's usually way more cpu-limited instead. Not being fill-rate limited means you can run a video card that has enough fill-rate to drive 3 monitors, without starting to notice fps decrease BECAUSE of FSX. And of course, the two examples of cards I've listed can do that, because since FSX doesn't benefit from a dual GPU, and the "wasted" horsepower that FSX can't use anyway, can be used to support 3 monitors with no fps decrease.

On top of that, by not networking the visuals, you don't risk seeing those micro-stutters due to the network connection and latency, which are more and more visible, the larger your screen will be.

That, without even mentioning that with 3 networked PCs for the visuals, you will constantly have to check for explicit network compatibility for many add-ons (ANYTHING that draws things on screen based on its own logic will have issues) a problem that doesn't exists if the visual are generated by a single system.

Andrew737

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:24:59 am »
The problem with your suggestion will be performance - VAS usage

I haven't suggested to run everything on a single PC, but to run at least the visuals on a single PC. In this case, there will be no difference whatsoever on VAS usage, because the memory-hungry airplane (I guess this was your point about VAS usage) will run on a different PC.

and FPS issues will undoubtably arise. the resolution of 3 monitors on 1 card coupled with all my add-ons; NOT a cat in hells chance!

As I've said, FSX is generally NOT fill-rate limited, it's usually way more cpu-limited instead. Not being fill-rate limited means you can run a video card that has enough fill-rate to drive 3 monitors, without starting to notice fps decrease BECAUSE of FSX. And of course, the two examples of cards I've listed can do that, because since FSX doesn't benefit from a dual GPU, and the "wasted" horsepower that FSX can't use anyway, can be used to support 3 monitors with no fps decrease.

On top of that, by not networking the visuals, you don't risk seeing those micro-stutters due to the network connection and latency, which are more and more visible, the larger your screen will be.

That, without even mentioning that with 3 networked PCs for the visuals, you will constantly have to check for explicit network compatibility for many add-ons (ANYTHING that draws things on screen based on its own logic will have issues) a problem that doesn't exists if the visual are generated by a single system.

Umberto how without wideview can I run the VAS hungry plane on a different PC my friend?

It seems you may have the answer I am looking for without all these compromises and latency issues!

I am really interested in your idea

Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:40:14 am »
Umberto how without wideview can I run the VAS hungry plane on a different PC my friend?

You should start asking yourself WHY that memory-hungry airplane IS a memory-hungry airplane in the first place.

It's because of a too complex VC with thousands of animations ? Do you need it on ALL PCs of the network ?

It's because of the liveries ? Do you need HD textures on ALL PCs of the network ?

It's because of gauges ? Do you need all gauges on all PCs ?

I guess, depending how you plan to build your cockpit, that you might customize the airplane (just editing airplane.cfg and panel.cfg files) to run with only the minimum necessary to have the flight model running and the airplane recognized by GSX and interacting with the scenery.

For example, the version of the airplane running on masters might include only gauges, but not any external models or VC, and the version of the airplane running on the scenery PC (that drives 3 screens with a single card), might not need 2d panels, most of the gauges, etc.

Andrew737

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »

You should start asking yourself WHY that memory-hungry airplane IS a memory-hungry airplane in the first place.

It's because of a too complex VC with thousands of animations ? Do you need it on ALL PCs of the network ?

It's because of the liveries ? Do you need HD textures on ALL PCs of the network ?

It's because of gauges ? Do you need all gauges on all PCs ?

I guess, depending how you plan to build your cockpit, that you might customize the airplane (just editing airplane.cfg and panel.cfg files) to run with only the minimum necessary to have the flight model running and the airplane recognized by GSX and interacting with the scenery.

For example, the version of the airplane running on masters might include only gauges, but not any external models or VC, and the version of the airplane running on the scenery PC (that drives 3 screens with a single card), might not need 2d panels, most of the gauges, etc.

Hello Umberto

I get all the above but you missed my question - How is the server connected to the client in your mind?
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »
I get all the above but you missed my question - How is the server connected to the client in your mind?

I guess you could still use Wideview, but only between the PC running the airplane with gauges and no external and VC models, and the one driving the visuals that will instead use just the externals, and GSX should run on the PC used for the visuals. My suggestion was against using 3 different PCs for the visuals networked together.

Andrew737

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »

I guess you could still use Wideview, but only between the PC running the airplane with gauges and no external and VC models, and the one driving the visuals that will instead use just the externals, and GSX should run on the PC used for the visuals. My suggestion was against using 3 different PCs for the visuals networked together.

Yes understood - definately worth a try and quite rightly suggested upgrade the GPU. I think 2 Titans?

Where can I find info on this 'fill rate' business - I need to learn and understand more before spending 'Another' grand and a half!!!

Do you mean set the 2 cards in SLI config?
Regards Andrew

Andrew737

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:01 am »

Hi Umberto

I bought a Titan set it up in surround running 5760 x 1080; lovely FOV but slide show performance 6 fps with the ultralight trike

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:34 am »
I bought a Titan set it up in surround running 5760 x 1080; lovely FOV but slide show performance 6 fps with the ultralight trike

You don't say the most important thing: which scenery ?

Andrew737

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:55 am »
Sorry Umberto

Stupid of me - it was UK2000 EGLL In Orbx England - let me add I have every one of your airports and love them; I test at EGLL because it's hard on the system, if it can work there it can work anywhere

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:25:57 am by Andrew737 »
Regards Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
What fps you see at a default airport ? And what about an FSDT airport, especially one of the latest (KLAX, CYVR ) ?

Andrew737

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 10:01:09 am »
What fps you see at a default airport ? And what about an FSDT airport, especially one of the latest (KLAX, CYVR ) ?

I will try both CYVR and Default CYVR over the weekend and report back to you

Thanks for the assistance on this Umberto

Kind Regards

Andrew
Regards Andrew