Author Topic: JFK V2 Running Very Slow  (Read 12058 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: JFK V2 Running Very Slow
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »
Seems like we will see scenerys more demanding on GPU´s around which is nice when we have DX10 up an running. This also turns focus away from CPU and OOM if i am understanding this development correctly.

Yes, you got it exactly right. We are pushing into more demand on the GPU and on DX10, because it's the roadmap that has the most room for future growth.

Upgrading a GPU is reasonably easy and you have plenty of options for your desired level of spending, while updating the CPU is hard and might be very expensive, because most of the time you'll have to upgrade the mainboard and RAM too. And, GPUs increase their power and especially value for money much faster than CPUs.

With P3D 2.0 with DX11 coming, this strategy will pay off even more.

Cfoley

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 05:40:18 am »
I have the same problem.  My fps is pretty bad with the add-on airports.  When I did the demo flights,  I made the big mistake of using FSX aircraft and everything was fine with fps.  After reading this post,  I did your test.  With my add-on aircraft,  the fps is very jerky, but when I tried an FSX default aircraft, it was fine.  I never use default aircraft but my purchased add-ons.  I did not know it would have made a difference in fps.  Does this mean I need to replace my video card?   I do have 64 bit windows HP computer that is almost 3 years old.  Unfortunately,  I am no expert with some computer terminology, deep troubleshooting and replacing any internal parts on my computer.  An expensive lesson on my part.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:42:02 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »
My fps is pretty bad with the add-on airports.  When I did the demo flights,  I made the big mistake of using FSX aircraft and everything was fine with fps.  After reading this post,  I did your test.  With my add-on aircraft,  the fps is very jerky, but when I tried an FSX default aircraft, it was fine.

You haven't done any mistake. In fact, if with "demo flights", you mean you were testing JFK in Trial mode, that was the ONLY correct way of testing the SCENERY, which is with a default airplane. If you test a SCENERY with lots of AI and an fps-heave airplane, you lose the ability to judge the scenery itself, because if the fps is slow, you don't have any means to understand what is causing it.

Now that you made that test, and got proof your low fps wasn't caused by JFK, you might try to better understand how to improve your situation.

My last message said that you surely must upgrade the video card, if you see an immediate fps improvement, if you go down from 4096 to 1024 textures, without changing anything else.

But if your fps stays low (with your add-on airplane and everything else) even with the 1024 textures size, chances are that changing the video card (unless yours is really outdated or, even worse, it's integrated in the mainboard, like the Intel HD graphics), won't change much, and you might have to rethink your entire system.

But the cheapest upgrade of all, it's just not using products not well optimized. The worse offenders are those still using FS8/FS9 code which is slow in FSX, such as World of AI traffic, for example.

Cfoley

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 04:59:53 am »
Thank you for your reply.  I have always had my fps set at 1024x768x32.  How do I know if I am using FS9 code?  I purchased FSX in 2011 and had add-on aircraft installed not long after, such as Quality Wings 757 PMDG 747-400 and 737-800, and Level-D 767.   No other aircraft add-ons.