Author Topic: POIs titles miss some letters!! **SOLVED**  (Read 22740 times)

aymanbakr

POIs titles miss some letters!! **SOLVED**
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:47 am »
Hello All,

I have a strange problem regarding the titles of the POIs. Some names miss some letters For example, "DEER HARBOR" is written "DE R HA BOR".

The problem happens randomly  as Illustrated in the attached photos: the first file contains the title "DE R HARBOR". Then when I disabled the XPOI names and re-enabled it using the shortcuts, I noticed that the missing letters are different in the same title! as you can see in the second file: "DEER HA BOR".

Thank you in advance for your help

Ayman
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:43:20 am by virtuali »

MLangert

Re: POIs titles miss some letters!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:13:31 am »
I also have this same exact problem and am anxious to hear about possible casuses/solutions!

aymanbakr

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:52:11 am »
Hello,

I solved the problem the hard way. I mean, I had several problem in my laptop and I had to reset it to manufacture setting. Everything was deleted  and my laptop restarted as new one with only windows. (Reinstalling every thing... , what a nightmare  :-[)

However, in installing FSX and all my addons I did something different. I suggest you do try it. It may work.

1. I have windows 8, so I disabled completely UAC from the registry of the windows.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

2. In installing FSX, and all my addons, I run the setup files "as administrator"

Try make the first suggestion, and then re-install the XPOI app. It may work with you

Best regards,

Ayman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

The run all setup files "As Administrator" is not needed for our installers, since they are all already flagged to ask administrator permissions automatically so, this won't change anything with our installers.

But this LUA thing is interesting, it looks like it's a system-wide enabler/disabler for LUA, it's possible that if LUA uses pipes (an internal way of communication between apps), like Simconnect, it might conflict with it, perhaps slowing it down, and this might affect ANY FSX application that uses Simconnect.

MLangert

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:50:32 am »
I certainly don't want to have to reinstall FSX or disable UAC in Win 8.  Any other ideas on how to fix the missing letters issue?! :-[

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:38:09 am »
I certainly don't want to have to reinstall FSX or disable UAC in Win 8.  Any other ideas on how to fix the missing letters issue?!

XPOI doesn't have any missing letter issue that should be fixed. If it happens, that's not an XPOI issue, but it's XPOI being the victim of some other problem that lies elsewhere. It's just that you will notice missing letters more than, for example, an AI airplane not being created, or a weather command not being received or sent, but if you are having Simconnect communication problems, they are happening with every FSX add-on that use it.

If it's not a permission problem, which might be cured by turning off UAC (which is something many FSX users do on Windows 8 anyway), it might also be caused by another add-on that is generating too many Simconnects commands in a short period of time, not letting any chance for XPOI to talk with it. Simconnect is a communication channel, and so it might be clobbered by any add-on that tries to "own it".

Again, this might be dependent on system settings too, because Simconnect uses named pipes, which are handled by the OS.

ninkisoft

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:51:20 am »
I also have these missing letters. The issue turned up after a clean reinstall of FSX, and now after a clean install of P3D v2. It's difficult to see a pattern as to which letters are missing and this behaviour essentially renders XPOI unusable when it occurs. Reinstalling XPOI and updating doesn't solve the situation for me...

Time permitting, I'll try a few things - will post in this thread if any success : )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:02:08 pm by ninkisoft »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:24 pm »
As I've said, the problem might be caused by simply too many Simconnect access, either because you have too many POIs (more than Simconnect can handle) or other add-ons using Simconnect that makes too many calls in a short time.

You can control the number of POIs displayed very precisely with the XPOI settings. Do you see less problems if you show less objects, for example enabling just one category, like mountains for example ?

ninkisoft

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:11:15 pm »
Happy New Year everyone, and thank you for the reply!

When I first installed XPOI, I was surprised at how well the rich default settings were displayed, so I do know how performant XPOI can be. Currently, on the same machine, I get these missing letters even with only towered airports and larger cities selected. The gaps remain approximately the same when I set most entries to "display all" and enable Wikipedia entries.

Of course it's just a layman's view, but my first thought was that the font got overwritten and XPOI is picking space characters from that unexpected font as performance seems unaffected otherwise...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:41:36 pm »
When I first installed XPOI, I was surprised at how well the rich default settings were displayed, so I do know how performant XPOI can be

Of course it's just a layman's view, but my first thought was that the font got overwritten and XPOI is picking space characters from that unexpected font as performance seems unaffected otherwise...

XPOI hasn't been updated in a while so, it's surely not a problem of the program itself. As I've said, it's possible that another add-on you are using is making so many Simconnect calls, that XPOI doesn't get enough time to talk with Simconnect, and this results in missing objects.

Does it happen everywhere ? Do you have a specific area where you can see this problem consistently ?

ninkisoft

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »
I've tried several regions, for example London (default), Bowerman airport (Orbx) and Freiburg (default) with missing letters. The only pattern I could find is that the POI suffix CREEK (very frequent in US/Canada) is consistently spelt CR EK in my case, i.e. the only missing letter in this word always seems to be the middle E.

To limit things down, I deactivated AccuSim, Ultimate Traffic, Opus FSX etc in dll.xml. I don't use ORBX flow plug ins etc, so my (P3Dv2) dll.xml and exe.xml only contained COATL, Addon manager and FSUIPC 4 for my little tests.

Ras

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
I've installed XPOI demo into vanilla Prepar3d v2 on Windows 8.1 with UAC disabled and have the missing letters issue.  I have no add-ons installed with the exception of the demo version of FSUIPC.

Good thing I did the demo first as I'll have to wait for a resolution.

Ras

diddy64

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:17 pm »
I know this is an old post but Im having the same problem. Just purchased XPOI today and installed it into prepar3d v2.1. Everything looked fine then noticed letters missing all over the place. Has this been fixed or is it ongoing?

Hnla

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »
I know this is an old post but Im having the same problem. Just purchased XPOI today and installed it into prepar3d v2.1. Everything looked fine then noticed letters missing all over the place. Has this been fixed or is it ongoing?

Did you not read the above posts by Virtuali?

If it happens, that's not an XPOI issue, but it's XPOI being the victim of some other problem that lies elsewhere. It's just that you will notice missing letters more than, for example, an AI airplane not being created, or a weather command not being received or sent, but if you are having Simconnect communication problems, they are happening with every FSX add-on that use it.

If it's not a permission problem, which might be cured by turning off UAC (which is something many FSX users do on Windows 8 anyway), it might also be caused by another add-on that is generating too many Simconnects commands in a short period of time, not letting any chance for XPOI to talk with it. Simconnect is a communication channel, and so it might be clobbered by any add-on that tries to "own it".

diddy64

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
Thanks for the constructive advise. Yeah, my reading and comprehension is fine. I have 2 addons, gsx and now this one. I turned off all POi's except city/town names and still missing letters. Turned off UAC and all that but still the same. Just thought with the last post in January, a patch may be required.
D.