Author Topic: Why? Why? :-(  (Read 31579 times)

avantime

Re: Why? Why? :-(
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »
It was said JFK was impossible to make too, years ago. And doing impossible things it's a good way to be motivated to find new ways to do things. So yes, KSEA looks a very strong candidate too, maybe next year.

There is already a very good payware KSEA scenery available, even though it's completely outdated. IMO You should concentrate on the major US hub airports which don't already have good quality payware options available.

Examples:
KMSP Minneapolis-St Paul
KDAL Dallas Love Field (Southwest)
KDEN Denver
KSLC Salt Lake City
KMEM Memphis (FedEx)

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 05:13:18 pm »
It was said JFK was impossible to make too, years ago. And doing impossible things it's a good way to be motivated to find new ways to do things. So yes, KSEA looks a very strong candidate too, maybe next year.

There is already a very good payware KSEA scenery available, even though it's completely outdated. IMO You should concentrate on the major US hub airports which don't already have good quality payware options available.

Examples:
KMSP Minneapolis-St Paul
KDAL Dallas Love Field (Southwest)
KDEN Denver
KSLC Salt Lake City
KMEM Memphis (FedEx)

Which KSEA scenery is that??  there is NO version for FSX/P3D. So yes we do need a new version of KSEA
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:01:06 pm by Lindbergh72 »
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

Sammy

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »
Not sure if this was asked before but did the Vancouver airport sales not  do very well. All this talk about only making US airports. Just curious

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »
Not sure if this was asked before but did the Vancouver airport sales not  do very well. All this talk about only making US airports. Just curious

Vancouver sales were very good, and I tend to include Canadian airports together with the US when discussing choices but, since Montreal it's already done, I don't think there would be so many other options left other than Toronto, which I think is being made too.

The issue is, there are way more *large* airports in the US to choose from.

avantime

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 02:13:25 am »

Which KSEA scenery is that??  there is NO version for FSX/P3D. So yes we do need a new version of KSEA

Apologies, I thought someone managed to get a decent FSX merge going with FT's FS2004 KSEA scenery.

Now I guess we do need a FSX version of KSEA, but that would be dependent on FT not doing a reboot of their old KSEA scenery, like they had done with Dubai.

DMac10121

• Boeing + Bombardier
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:26 am »
I would absolutely love a KSEA. I think simmers have wanted a KSEA for years now, and if the Vancouver sales were great, I can only imagine how well Seattle will sell. Also it is a large airport, and it is not too close to Vancouver, but just perfect. I think that simmers could overlook the performance issue if such a good scenery is made (what I mean by this is that maybe simmers could use aircraft that require less performance, or decrease AI, or what not).

Highiron

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
I don't think there would be so many other options left other than Toronto, which I think is being made too.

Are you serious Umberto?  :o

CYYC (Calgary AB) Very large airport. Second parallel runway to be finished next year. Whole new section of terminal. Whole airport area/size is equivalant to that of CYVR.
CYEG (Edmonton AB), CYWG (Winnipeg MB) Not massive but not tiny either. Much much larger than either Lihue - Hilo or Kona or Kahului, and you did those airports and they sold well.

Since CYVR is on the west coast, there are hundreds of flights to points within Canada. The problem is they are all east and the nearest airport to date is CYUL (Montreal). I did this flight last week. Air time was 5 hours 8 minutes. Not the type of flight I want to make on a weekly basis on the simulator. CYYC/CYEG are just over 1 hour flight time with many daily flights. Flights from either CYVR or CYUL to CYWG take about 3 hours, not short but not overly long either.

Of course I also do flights south to KLAS, KSFO, and KLAX but flights to major hubs in Canada suck using default scenery. Even Orbx does very little to enhance CYYC or CYEG. Perhaps airports such as CYWG and places like CYQR (Regina SK) could be sold in packs, much like the Hawaiian airports were. Other than CYYC, these other airports are smaller but they are certainly busy on a daily and nightly basis and get arriving and departing flights from many U.S. and International carriers. All these airports see see a large variety of aircraft including all the heavies. Just as CYUL sold well, so too I believe would these other airports as they are comparable in size. Just my thoughts...

Cheers,
Thad
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

Anders Bermann

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:51 am »
I would love to see KSEA done, one of my favorite airports.  I had given up hope of seeing this one since the FPS are so terrible in the area for some reason.  Good to see you guys haven't given up hope on it.

Yes strange that FPS go higher in SEA area, can anyone explain why?

Would actually be interesting to research why the FPS' are so 'horrible' in some areas of FSX and better in others? KSEA/Seattle area is generally hard on FPS - so is New York (which is also why I fear for the upcoming development of New York area).
Is it because old code, still remains in some areas of FSX in these areas? (have NO idea - just guessing here)... it's not like, it's more detailed etc... Quite interesting problem, actually...

KSEA by FSDT would be fantastic - but wether it could be done within reasonable performance? FlyTampa has already passed on it...
Hoping that FSDT could/would do their magic? :)
Best regards, Anders

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:21 am »
I would love to see KSEA done, one of my favorite airports.  I had given up hope of seeing this one since the FPS are so terrible in the area for some reason.  Good to see you guys haven't given up hope on it.

Yes strange that FPS go higher in SEA area, can anyone explain why?

Would actually be interesting to research why the FPS' are so 'horrible' in some areas of FSX and better in others? KSEA/Seattle area is generally hard on FPS - so is New York (which is also why I fear for the upcoming development of New York area).
Is it because old code, still remains in some areas of FSX in these areas? (have NO idea - just guessing here)... it's not like, it's more detailed etc... Quite interesting problem, actually...

KSEA by FSDT would be fantastic - but wether it could be done within reasonable performance? FlyTampa has already passed on it...
Hoping that FSDT could/would do their magic? :)

I'm sure that FSDT can do KSEA  ;)
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 01:41:32 pm »
CYEG (Edmonton AB), CYWG (Winnipeg MB) Not massive but not tiny either. Much much larger than either Lihue - Hilo or Kona or Kahului, and you did those airports and they sold well.

Just as CYUL sold well, so too I believe would these other airports as they are comparable in size. Just my thoughts...

You seem to know about our own sales (or FlyTampa's) something we didn't know...it's not that the Hawaiian Airports sold badly, they didn't, but they took 1 year for each pack to make, and guess what, users see more "value" in purchasing 1 large hub, compared to 2 small/medium airports and it takes about the same time/effort for us. We had to offer deep discounts to PHNL users and package deals to push the Hawaii airports: I don't think many purchased them at full price.

The main reason we made the Hawaiian airports, was to offer short range destinations to those not wanting to fly 5 hours to reach PHNL, and there was another reasoning behind them which was related to the MS Flight, which unfortunately didn't go well because how MS Flight ended up to be (when we first heard of MS Flight in 2010 and played with the Alpha version, it was certain it would had an internal in-app store open to ALL 3rd parties...).

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 04:06:05 pm »
I'm sure that FSDT can do KSEA  ;)

Any developer can do the airport, trick is getting it to play nice with all those high quality models from Microsoft.  If someone like LimeSim were to do a nice photoreal scenery of Seattle with low polygon models...
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 04:13:06 pm »
Any developer can do the airport, trick is getting it to play nice with all those high quality models from Microsoft. 

It's probably easier to replace them all, rather than trying to fix them...

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »
Any developer can do the airport, trick is getting it to play nice with all those high quality models from Microsoft. 

It's probably easier to replace them all, rather than trying to fix them...

Go for it Umberto  ;) I'm looking forward to see FSDT's version of KSEA :-)

Sammy

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »
If US airports sell so much more than anywhere else than why are other developers making airports outside the US. You make great sceneries so it would be nice to see high quality airports outside the US. Calgary to Vacouver would be nice or Edmonton. Not so interested in KSEA.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 10:20:36 pm »
If US airports sell so much more than anywhere else than why are other developers making airports outside the US

You shouldn't assume that something sells "just" because someone is doing it. Many developers see flight simulation as an hobby and have other jobs, so they likely do something they *like* more, rather than what is commercially sensible...We do it fully time, and this means we must be very careful what to chose.

Also, I never said that "only" US airports sells well enough. Some countries in Europe are worth working on, and they are Germany first and foremost, and then UK. And guess what, they are well covered by established developers.

. You make great sceneries so it would be nice to see high quality airports outside the US. Calgary to Vacouver would be nice or Edmonton. Not so interested in KSEA.
[/quote]