Author Topic: Confused about JFK v2  (Read 11652 times)

donaldd

Confused about JFK v2
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:21 am »
While I am grateful JFK has been updated I'm at the same time confused. The JFK update has been talked about for well over a year and from my understanding, this update was going to be along the lines of LAX and Vancouver. Was this ever the plan or was the plan always update the textures, add T4, and demolish T6? When I received the e-mail I was thrilled but after looking at the pictures I was expecting a lot more, especially from FSDreamTeam and for New York-JFK to say the least. Will JFK ever be updated to LAX and Vancouver standards?

Hnla

Re: Confused about JFK v2
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:30:55 am »
The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach ~Lyn Yutang

donaldd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:40 am »
The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach ~Lyn Yutang

As stated, I do enjoy what I have but I question why not something more, not desire.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »
The JFK update has been talked about for well over a year and from my understanding, this update was going to be along the lines of LAX and Vancouver.

I don't believe Umberto ever said it would updated to Vancouver standards.  Kennedy was one of their first airports, they would need to redo it from scratch to bring it up to Vancouver standards, and you certainly would've have gotten it for $10 if they had.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

donaldd

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:55:57 am »
I don't believe Umberto ever said it would updated to Vancouver standards.  Kennedy was one of their first airports, they would need to redo it from scratch to bring it up to Vancouver standards, and you certainly would've have gotten it for $10 if they had.

I understand that it must be done from scratch, from the ground up, to get to Vancouver standards. With all the hype, I expected it to be a complete remake.

Quoting Umberto:

And, even without taking into account new airports, we'll be quite busy updating our existing airports so, in addition for maybe a couple of new US airports (with the first being most likely KIAH, Houston Intercontinental Airport), we don't have to discuss any plans for other airports for the next 2 years, at least.

So when he says "quite busy updating our existing airports," is this suposed to mean updates like JFK v2 or major overhauls of existing products, bringing them up to Vancouver standards?

theshack440

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:38:41 am »
I also thought they would be adding more to the scenery, especially smaller details that they either didn't have access to in 2008, or have changed. I don't want to complain because I really am thrilled that JFK has finally been updated and it looks great, but there are some small things that I feel like they could have done.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

donaldd

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 04:22:11 am »
I also thought they would be adding more to the scenery, especially smaller details that they either didn't have access to in 2008, or have changed. I don't want to complain because I really am thrilled that JFK has finally been updated and it looks great, but there are some small things that I feel like they could have done.

I feel exactly the same way. To point out the things I have so far noticed:

Terminal 1: Every gate except 11 should have a double jetway. http://airchive.com/galleries/jfk-terminal-1-and-8-aerial-1_23966.jpg, http://airchive.com/galleries/jfk-terminal-1-aerial-2_23967.jpg

Terminal 2 & 3: I have not noticed anything.

Terminal 4: While I am greatfull for the T4 extension, there are a few things I have picked up. On T4 Concorse B, there are double jetways for gates: 20A and 20B, 31A and 31B, 25A and 25B. On T4 Concorse A, there are double jetways for gates: 2A and 2B, 7A and 7B. These can easily be seen on Google Maps https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.639722,-73.778889&spn=0.03,0.03&t=h&q=40.639722,-73.778889

Terminal 5: The extension at the end of the terminal is no longer there http://i.imgur.com/74Ap54E.jpg. The connection between the AirTrain and the SkyWalk is missing http://i.imgur.com/N3Blr4R.jpg. The "jetBlue" sign in front of T5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20D6c90TdoI.

Terminal 7 and 8: I did not notice anything.

Is there also an up-to-date AFCAD? Many Oneworld airlines moved to T8 to be with American. Hawaiian and Aer Lingus moved to T5 to be with jetBlue. Virgin America moved from 25A and 25B to 2A and 2B (that's why 2A and 2B turned into a double jetway.)

I am also surprised that FSDT did not include the demyelination of T3, demyelination of the regional gates at T2, SkyWalk between T2 and T4, and extension of T5, T5i. With LAX, they included the whole new TBIT when it was not even close to completion. Is this because of a lack of images/information? I have found some sources that may help http://www.regional-alliance.org/Library/DELTA/Delta%20JFK%20Redev%20proj%20for%20website.pdf, http://www.nycaviation.com/photo-galleries/jetblue-t5i/, http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/2012/05/31/green-light-to-build-new-international-arrivals-extension-at-t5/, http://blog.jetblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/T5i_3.jpg.

I do not mean to be a stickler about this but JFK is my home airport, I know the ins and outs of this place and I want to help scenery designers produce the most up-to-date scenery.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:26:15 am by donaldd »

theshack440

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »
JFK is my home airport too, so I feel similarly.

I do know that they could have decided to do a full airport redesign, but that would have taken at least another 4 or 5 months I assume (time they probably weren't willing to dedicate to an update). I do think they are probably working on a patch right now and they will probably include the T5/AirTrain connection because that does look weird because it just ends like that. I think I am just mostly surprised because they updated the ground textures the most, and while it looks so much better than v1, there are certain things that are on the ground at JFK that would be great to have (gate numbers and red runway labels, for example).

But I know that pointing these things out probably doesn't do anything, it just makes us seem a little spoiled ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:46:46 pm by theshack440 »
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

donaldd

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:08:03 pm »
I know what you mean. I know we should be thankful for what we have, but it's just the things that I know of that I like to point out. Hopefully we will see JFK get a major update one day by FSDT!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:29 pm »
I do think they are probably working on a patch right now and they will probably include the T5/AirTrain connection because that does look weird because it just ends like that.

We are reading all those reports, and are preparing a patch indeed.

donaldd

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
We are reading all those reports, and are preparing a patch indeed.

So when you say "reading all those reports. . . preparing a patch," what will this patch include? Will it be the most notable: T5 AirTrain Skywalk, T5 extra terminal extension, runway arrows, texture alignment, etc. or will it be more extensive, hence some of the "issues" mentioned above? Would appreciate any type of response.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
So when you say "reading all those reports. . . preparing a patch," what will this patch include? Will it be the most notable: T5 AirTrain Skywalk, T5 extra terminal extension, runway arrows, texture alignment, etc. or will it be more extensive, hence some of the "issues" mentioned above?

Anything that can be reasonably made as a patch, and most of the issues reported in this thread are.

What it will not include, is something that will convert JFK V2 to a Vancouver-level of graphic detail, both because that would be a project that would require a year of work and couldn't be sold at the upgrade price we are selling JFK V2 (not without having to close FSDT for bankrupt in the meantime), but also because the New York area doesn't really support that kind of detail without turning the scenery into a slideshow-OOM-slugfest.

donaldd

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »
Anything that can be reasonably made as a patch, and most of the issues reported in this thread are.

So does that mean including the double jetways at the various locations (T1 and T4) mentioned above?  ;D

I also completely understand where you are coming from regarding the update of JFK to a Vancouver standard scenery. It takes A LOT of work and I really do appreciate everything you have so far provided for us. As always, it comes down to the money and most certainty we do not want you all going out of business!

Thanks again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:39 am »
So does that mean including the double jetways at the various locations (T1 and T4) mentioned above?  ;D

We'll see, that's the only thing I can't make a firm promise, but we'll try. We already have a custom triple-jetway for the A380 (that moves), so the basic method is there.

donaldd

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:26 am »
We'll see, that's the only thing I can't make a firm promise, but we'll try. We already have a custom triple-jetway for the A380 (that moves), so the basic method is there.

I do love that triple A380 jetway!

Even if one of the two gates is not active, it is still nice to see (expect in the cases with T4, (for example, gates 2A and 2B,) it would be one jetway for the A gate which is one aircraft and one jetway for the B gate which is for another aircraft.) But then again, why put the work in if it will just be a static jetway. Well, you are the developer, it is all up to you!