Author Topic: Wire configuration  (Read 7023 times)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Wire configuration
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
Guys,

Started thinking last night about the wires and trapping, and how much I dislike rolling forward after trapping and going to MIL/MAX.  Lately I've been holding the brakes right after trapping but it's just plain wrong.  Anybody else have any other solutions to that problem?

Also, I was wondering if there was a way to edit the wires, specifically how long the wires hold the jet.  I'd try to tweak them if I knew where to find them.

If the above isn't possible, it would be nice to see some sort of gauge or XML feature in future releases of the FSXBA Hornet/Sludge Hornet that prevented the rolling from happening.  It would also be really nice if the jet rolled backwards a few feet after trapping to increase the realism a bit, but that's more wishful thinking...Getting it to stop rolling however is something that needs to happen IMHO.  I would try it myself if I knew half of anything about writing code for FSX.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Wire configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
Pyro...

Also, I was wondering if there was a way to edit the wires, specifically how long the wires hold the jet.  I'd try to tweak them if I knew where to find them.

It's funny you should ask that, as I've been trying that same thing with the CAT BRAKES (reduce Cat end speed) and TRAP BRAKES (to emulate a wire HOLDING past was it does) workarounds. The problem is that this behavior is very hard to get to behave consistently in XML coding. When I started this, I was in the same boat as you. I hate having to hit the brakes when I got to MIL/MAX on wire catch. I've gone to using the Tailhook as a parameter for setting the Brakes, but FSX is extremely fickle in what it reads. Somedays that system would work... other days, it wouldn't "read" the tailhook up (release brakes parameter) and the brakes would remain LOCKED IN.

When it works, its great. You get right/left main brakes on wire caught w/tailhook down and then when you raise the tailhook, the brakes are set to zero, so you can actuate them as you please.

Might give it a go again, when I get more progress on the current Sludge. Right now, mostly working on AoA holding in PA mode (too notchy), vLSO integration (w/new numbers from Paddles), Sludge effects updates, and Capt Sim Delta Hornet implementation.

Later
Sludge

pyroperson87

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
Sludge,

I was thinking about the brakes system in FSX and tried to do some research.  From what I understand, if you have a single button mapped to brakes, it will apply 100% brakes, whereas if you use pedals you can have more dynamic braking similar to RL.  Not sure why FSX would only read it sometimes, but perhaps it has something to do with that. 

That also led me to the idea of using the PUSHBACK command instead of brakes. For example, when the hook is down, and you trap, the pushback function is automatically engaged until you raise the hook.  It would prevent both the rolling forward in MIL/MAX, and allow a bit of roll back...two birds with one stone. Of course the obvious flaw with that idea is that you would roll all the way off the back of the boat if you didn't raise the hook.  I was just thinking that perhaps it could work since pushback is simply an on or off command, whereas there are varying amounts of brake percentage.

If you post that XML for the trap brakes I'll mess around with it.  I really only know C languages and VeriLog, but I'm sure I could figure it out if I dedicated the time to it.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:05:32 pm »
Pyro...

I was thinking about the brakes system in FSX and tried to do some research.  From what I understand, if you have a single button mapped to brakes, it will apply 100% brakes, whereas if you use pedals you can have more dynamic braking similar to RL.  Not sure why FSX would only read it sometimes, but perhaps it has something to do with that.

That's mostly correct. When the "brakes" handle is applied, it goes too 100% on NOSE GEAR brakes. When you use rudder pedal brakes (R/L toe brakes), it applies them just like any AXIS in FSX. The problem I've run into is that even when the hook goes up and is read as such in FSX, the brakes need conditions to "be free" again without always going to zero. Maybe I need to make a USER INPUT NULL, that tells all the XMLs IF a user is applying toe brakes or setting the brakes handle manually, to not set themselves?

That also led me to the idea of using the PUSHBACK command instead of brakes. For example, when the hook is down, and you trap, the pushback function is automatically engaged until you raise the hook.

Another good idea that I was trying to implement without success. The pushback doesnt have enough "force" until you come to a complete stop and even then its kinda weak. Look at the XMLs I use and give it a try... you might have better success than I did.

If you post that XML for the trap brakes I'll mess around with it.

Feel free... have at it. As I said, you may have success where I have failed? All my XMLs in the new Sludge install are in the main FSX\Gauges\FA-18\FCS folder. It's called FA-18 FCS BRAKE-ASSIST.XML, so just open it with XMLMarker or whatever XML tool you use and go to town. You'll see I mapped the LEFT/RIGHT MLG brakes to their AXIS functions in FSX.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »
I like Pyro's idea of modeling correct trapping and rollback.
Here's my two cents... I did a quick and dirty SimConnect test which proved feasible. An airplane can be 'pushed' back programmatically with gradually decreasing speeds, which looks authentic. I think that it is also possible to make the whole trapping process looking 'real' - you first catch the wire, then the airplane starts decelerating until full stop, then it rolls 5..6 feet back and stops again until you retract the tailhook...  :)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:51 pm »
Here's my two cents... I did a quick and dirty SimConnect test which proved feasible. An airplane can be 'pushed' back programmatically with gradually decreasing speeds, which looks authentic. I think that it is also possible to make the whole trapping process looking 'real' - you first catch the wire, then the airplane starts decelerating until full stop, then it rolls 5..6 feet back and stops again until you retract the tailhook...  :)

AWESOME!!!  :o
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

pyroperson87

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »

Sweet!  I looked over the XML from the Sludge 2.0 test jet, but I couldn't figure out where the values came from, i.e. 7375.  In general I just don't understand the XML code structure very well.  Going to try to read up on it though this weekend, see if I can't take a swing at this whole modding business.

Pyro
Pops

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:56:57 am »
Pyro...

Sweet!  I looked over the XML from the Sludge 2.0 test jet, but I couldn't figure out where the values came from, i.e. 7375.  In general I just don't understand the XML code structure very well.  Going to try to read up on it though this weekend, see if I can't take a swing at this whole modding business.

Those values (7375) come from a percentage of 16383 (which is the FULL VALUE of applying any FSX axis/switch/lever). So, say you wanted the FULL braking power, you'd KEY SET right/left brake axis to 16383, and FSX would in turn apply full toe brakes to MLG brakes. Now if you wanted say, 75%, then do simple division and have the XML KEY SET 12287... AND, as importantly, make sure one the AND statements in the XML says that if "LEFT/RIGHT BRAKE AXIS" are already equal to/less than 75%, don't KEY IN 12287. If you don't do this, you'll get a buncha KEY FLOODING.

Hope this helps and I think this discussion has helped me spot a simple mistake in one of the XMLs.

Later
Sludge

Letourn

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:40:23 am »

That would be really nice

I am just wondering who can release such an addon  ;)