Author Topic: Smartassembly Error, posssible fix. ** not a GSX problem **  (Read 5754 times)

18j@msn.com

Smartassembly Error, posssible fix. ** not a GSX problem **
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:48 pm »
Hello I have both an issue to report (FSX Error, CTD due to Smart Assembly not being installed.) and a possible solution to the problem.

First my list of Addons (all of which are the latest download version, all software is up to date)
FSX w/ Accel
FS Dream Team Airports (KORD, KJFK, KLAS, KLAX, PHNL, GSX)
Flight Beam (KSFO)
PMDG 737NGX, 747X
Ultimate Traffic 2
Flight 1 (UTX, UEX)
REX

Computer Specs (All drivers are up to date)
I7 3770k OC 4.3ghz
16 GB memory Triton OC
Nvidia 670GTX OC
1 TB Western Digital Black 7200 HD (Dedicated FSX and addons only)

I have installed Windows 7 64bit along with FSX w/ Accel 3 times now.  This is due to many issues other than just this one. 

The first time I was getting alot of CTD due to smart assembly not being installed.  I have been told and seen in many forums that it is Ultimate Traffic 2.  Now I installed UT2 first then FS Dreamteam and Flight Beam Seneries, then GSX, but had constant CTD's.

So the 2nd Time I installed Windows and FSX I did the opposite and installed UT2 last.  And I didnt have a single CTD due to Smart Assembly.  I was getting CTD due to other reasons.  So I had to do another reinstall again.  irs

The third time installed UT2 and no problem, I installed KSFO no problem, I installed KLAX no problem, I installed PHNL and no problem (keep in mind that I was testing each of these airports for a duration no shorter than 6 hours, constant flying around and in and out of with the NGX).  Each time I installed new software, I loaded FSX, loaded a flight, ended the flight, closed FSX and rebooted.  I finally installed GSX and again I am getting CTD due to Smart Assembly, the very first time I try to load a flight.  I tried running the FS Dream Team Addon Manager by itslef and it has seem to work for the moment.  Still more testing to do, but currently no CTD due to Smart Assembly.

So I am wanting to know is their a correct procedure and/or process for installing theses addons say in a certain order?  If UT2 is already installed and working and then you install, FS dreamteam or flight beam airports and they are working, and you install GSX does that overwrite any previously installed files that causes the errors?  Does installing the FS Dreamteam Addon Manager overwrite any errors, correct any problems, or fix anything?

As I said everything worked fine untill I installed GSX, and then I had problems.  I install the addon manger and the problem goes away.  I installed UT2 last, last time, and never saw an error.  I can add the event error code, and message when I get home, for now I just wanted to start the conversation, and see if you have any thoughts and/or inputs.

V/R
Kris
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:24:31 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Smart Assembly Error, posssible fix.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:24:10 pm »
As I said everything worked fine untill I installed GSX, and then I had problems.  I install the addon manger and the problem goes away.  

I'm sorry but, I can only repeat and confirm this error doesn't have anything to do with GSX, because it's a .NET error.

NONE of our products is written in, requires, or affect .NET in any way. The smartassembly error can only be caused by a .NET application, and UT2 IS a .NET application.

Also, it's not possible that it would be a difference between GSX and our other product. None affects .NET in any way, just the same.

GSX install EXACTLY THE SAME Addon Manager (bglmanx.dll) and Couatl.exe programs as the other sceneries. It's not even possible that it would be any difference to what these installers installs because, as you might have noticed, they ALL download those two files.

The download location is only one (ok, we have to mirrors, but they host exactly the same files) so, whether you install a scenery or GSX, their installers install exactly the SAME files. This, assuming your internet connection is working, which should be plenty obvious if it isn't, since the installer downloading part would otherwise give a warning about it.

Which means, if either the Addon Manager OR the Couatl program were the cause of the problem, it should have happened EVEN WITH THE SCENERIES, not just with GSX, because they download and install exactly the same versions of those two files.

Since you said yourself it worked with the scenery, the only possible conclusion (that the download files are the same is 100% sure), is that the problem appearing with the GSX installation was just a coincidence.

And of course, I run UT2 with GSX without any problems, it's the one AI Traffic we use to our testings.

And of course, you already search other forums and, you would surely might have noticed that the smartassembly error message is very well known to be associated with UT2, and was known even BEFORE GSX was released.

It's more likely, instead, your UT2 installation might have been affected by a problem with your MS VC++ 2005 libraries installation or by an upgrade from Microsoft, because there IS some interaction between .NET and the VC++ libraries.

Yes, all our products launch the official MS installer for those runtimes but, on top of noticing the version being installed it's the same between GSX and all the sceneries (so, again, any difference between GSX and the scenery couldn't be explained by this), but the MS installer is made in a way that, if your VC++ libraries are already an newer version, they WON'T be touched. You can notice it, because that installation step is usually very fast, it indicates the MS installer we launch simply detected there was nothing to do, because you already had those libraries and they were a newer version.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:28:43 pm by virtuali »