Author Topic: Rocks on the taxiway  (Read 7151 times)

MrUnSavory

Rocks on the taxiway
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:11:39 am »
I know, sounds strange but I am getting what looks like big rocks or pieces of texture sticking up through taxiways at LAX and Dallas-Ft. Worth. I have no add on scenery's installed such as GEX or FTX installed even though I own them. Just some add-on airports by FSDream Team and FlightBeam.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Rocks on the taxiway
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:11 am »
You probably haven't set up your graphic settings as explained in the "Design notes" of the KLAX manual, the issue is likely the mesh resolution too high, it has to be set at 10M/pixel.

p3dx3

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »
Is there any way to fix this besides changing the mesh resolution? I am using detailed mesh in other areas and don't want to keep changing back and forth.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »
Is there any way to fix this besides changing the mesh resolution? I am using detailed mesh in other areas and don't want to keep changing back and forth.

The FSX mesh engine works that way: if you set your resolution very high because you have to use other high resolution meshes elsewhere, it can cause such artifacts in other places where there's no hires mesh available.

boilerbill

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:17 pm »
It is easy to change configurations while you are flying or taxiing. First, create a few configurations with appropriate scenery settings (e.g. mesh resolution, mesh complexity, scenery complexity, AI Traffic complexity, cloud draw distance, frame rate, etc.) and save them using Options > Settings > Save. For example, on my previous computer (Vista 32-bit) I had saved configurations for Taxi, Takeoff/Landing, Low Altitude Cruise, and High Altitude Cruise. (My current Windows 7 64-bit computer has sufficient resources to use the same config file for all phases of flight.) When you want to change, simply use Options > Settings > Load to select the appropriate file "on the fly".
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

p3dx3

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:33 am »
It is easy to change configurations while you are flying or taxiing. First, create a few configurations with appropriate scenery settings (e.g. mesh resolution, mesh complexity, scenery complexity, AI Traffic complexity, cloud draw distance, frame rate, etc.) and save them using Options > Settings > Save. For example, on my previous computer (Vista 32-bit) I had saved configurations for Taxi, Takeoff/Landing, Low Altitude Cruise, and High Altitude Cruise. (My current Windows 7 64-bit computer has sufficient resources to use the same config file for all phases of flight.) When you want to change, simply use Options > Settings > Load to select the appropriate file "on the fly".

The problem with this is changing that setting will reset your lod radius, max texture, and a few other fsx.cfg settings back to default.

p3dx3

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:02 am »

The FSX mesh engine works that way: if you set your resolution very high because you have to use other high resolution meshes elsewhere, it can cause such artifacts in other places where there's no hires mesh available.

But why does no other airport at all have this problem? I have all your airports and LAX is the only one with these artifacts.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:40:55 am »
But why does no other airport at all have this problem? I have all your airports and LAX is the only one with these artifacts.

Any area is different. And it's even the interaction between the default underlying mesh that makes a difference. KLAX comes with a flattening mesh which is made to fix any potential issues with 3rd party meshes and, if you check it with any program that can open meshes (like the MS Tmfviewer from the SDK), you can verify it's absolutely FLAT, those spikes are not coming from the scenery, they are caused by FSX itself, perhaps are just a result of rounding errors when converting meshes at resolutions different than the one they were being designed with. Which is why, we said to use a specific resolution.

boilerbill

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:58 am »
It is easy to change configurations while you are flying or taxiing.
:
 When you want to change, simply use Options > Settings > Load to select the appropriate file "on the fly".

The problem with this is changing that setting will reset your lod radius, max texture, and a few other fsx.cfg settings back to default.

I've never had that happen to me. But even if it did, it's simple enough to open the .cfg file in a text editor like Notepad and insert the values you would like.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium