Author Topic: it seems there is some ILS/LOC/DME misalignment  (Read 19881 times)

G.Bosak

Re: it seems there is some ILS/LOC/DME misalignment
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
i checked it meanwhile with airport scanner:

I can't show the same screen you have, because I don't have the latest FMC database installed, so there's no NOXOB fix in my PMDG ND, but I AM at NOXOB, from the coordinates.

sure you can in many possible ways ;)

eg. by creating a custom waypoint in NGX CDU with the coordinates from NOXOB from above, easily manageable on ground.

input format would be:  Nxxxx.xExxxxx.x

or adding the line:

Code: [Select]
NOXOB                   NOXOB 49.158636-122.934392
exactly as published in this textfile: wpnavfix.txt

and finally there is another way to get this waypoint into ND, this is called PlaceBearing/Distance if you use the ILS as fix. Works fine normally

This is a fresh 2 week old FSX installation, just all your/Flightbeam airports and ORBX area sceneries installed, actually patched NGX with newest AIRAC.

I haven't said that i don't trust you, I just don't really get this issue, if other pilots experience not the same as i do here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
eg. by creating a custom waypoint in NGX CDU with the coordinates from NOXOB from above, easily manageable on ground.

Done that and, guess what, is shows 9.2 from the DME, exactly as it should, by drawing a circle of 9.2 NM along the 263° radial from IFZ.

I think to have found your issue: see my screenshot, when you select the IFZ navaid in the PMDG FMC, there are TWO entries that match the CYVR area, the one named "ILS/DME" is the correct one, where the DME is placed, the other one is still named IFZ, but it's the *localizer*, maybe you selected THAT one, that's why you see 2.0NM more, it's the length of the runway being added, because the localizer is on the opposite side!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:43:28 pm by virtuali »

G.Bosak

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:24 pm »

Done that and, guess what, is shows 9.2 from the DME, exactly as it should, by drawing a circle of 9.2 NM along the 263° radial from IFZ.

I think to have found your issue: see my screenshot, when you select the IFZ navaid in the PMDG FMC, there are TWO entries that match the CYVR area, the one named "ILS/DME" is the correct one, where the DME is placed, the other one is still named IFZ, but it's the *localizer*, maybe you selected THAT one, that's why you see 2.0NM more, it's the length of the runway being added, because the localizer is on the opposite side!

Sadly not in actual PMDG AIRAC 1303, but this is a Navigraph issue. (see screenshot attached)

Great you found the issue, that finding would have caused at least a sleepless night. You are the man! Thank you Umberto, much appreciated. Great support as always!

If you can tell me finally, what steps i have to do to make runway 08L working as it is published in actual charts 083°110.55 it would be perfect.

this magdec:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

update from 2010 didn't really help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:26 pm »
Sadly not in actual PMDG AIRAC 1303, but this is a Navigraph issue. (see screenshot attached)

Ok, that's explains it: so the issue was the current Navigraph only has the Localizer location, instead of the most useful DME location. The original data supplied with the PMDG (I have the Aerosoft CD version installed) was probably better in this case.

If you can tell me finally, what steps i have to do to make runway 08L working as it is published in actual charts 083°110.55 it would be perfect.

You might try editing the CYVR AFCAD with ADE or AFX to change the magnetic variation for the localizer. We'll check this.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:54:04 pm »
I show the IFZ GP/DME site from the ADE file as 49.190623 -123.212562

Nope. That would be Localizer coordinates, on the far end of the runway. the DME for this ILS is NOT co-located on the Localizer, it's located on the Glide transmitter!! Those are the coordinates: N49.183868, W123.165630.

My bad, I read the ADE properties wrong in a rush to post before I went out. Well aware of where each one is though.

G.Bosak

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:26 pm »

You might try editing the CYVR AFCAD with ADE or AFX to change the magnetic variation for the localizer. We'll check this.

Hi Umberto,

it'd be great if you'll check this. Thank you! I'm not nearly experienced with FS design-tools.

btw. if someone here is interested: Navigraph is informed about the issue meanwhile.

Hightower

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
I for one have no problems/issues with all of the ILS approaches. Even tested them with autolands. Its spot on.  Putting a DME Fix is also bang on to the ILS waypoints.

Dont know what your issue is, but I doubt its YVR.  Not just NGX, its worked in all my aircraft.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:47 pm »
Dont know what your issue is, but I doubt its YVR.  Not just NGX, its worked in all my aircraft.

We found what his issues was: the current Navigraph update contains only the localizer location for the CYVR 26L ILS, which is on the far end of the runway, but the DME readout (that the approach procedure is based on) should be done using the more useful DME instead, which is missing from the Navigraph data.

In my screenshot, using the default database as originally provided by PMDG, I had both navaids, so I could choose the ILS/DME and have the readout correct, but G.Bosak (using the updated Navigraph) could only select the ILS localizer, which is 2.0 NM away (the entire runway length)

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 01:33:04 am »
 Just for clarification then which was the Navigraph file that had the error in it?

G.Bosak

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:58 pm »
Just for clarification then which was the Navigraph file that had the error in it?

the official statement from Navigraph is:

Hi,
thanks for the report - understood! I have looked into the source and the IFZ DME isn´t included in the navaid record - so we will ask Jeppesen if this types of DME aren´t published from the countries or if there is any other reason for that! Will come back with an answer when we had it ... Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Richard

For me it says every cycle since they changed to Jeppesen is affected.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 03:53:53 am »
What airac provider are you using? I'm using Navigraph but haven't updated it this year yet (1211) and it works fine for me. I know other guys using up to date Navigraph airac data have no issues.

G.Bosak

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »
What airac provider are you using? I'm using Navigraph but haven't updated it this year yet (1211) and it works fine for me. I know other guys using up to date Navigraph airac data have no issues.

old Navigraph PMDG cycles aren't affected by this issue (at that time [1211] NAVTECH was the provider). It seems all newer cycles based on jeppesen are affected (1301, 1302, 1303)

They say Jeppesen does not deliver the ILS-DME information at the moment to visualize the correct distance in ND. So the issue is already confirmed by NAVIGRAPH.

If your friend doesn't have this issue he is using an older cycle, too. Because there is still only one revision of 1303 available.