Author Topic: Active Runway Assignment Issue  (Read 5551 times)

joelong

Active Runway Assignment Issue
« on: March 08, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »
I recently purchased FSDreamteam's Las Vegas McCarren for FSX.  I am running FSX Acceleration on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

The airport is  fantastic, and works beautifully with AES.  But, I seem to have one issue.  No matter what direction the wind is coming from, or what the weather is, ATIS always lists every runway at KLAS as the runway in use.  And, ATC always assigns Runway 19R as the active.  This happens when leaving or arriving at KLAS.

I've tried running with and without Active Sky 2012, and I've tried all variations of weather possibilities in FSX's weather option, including changing wind direction to favor other runways. But, same results; take off or land on 19R.

This does not happen at any other airport, including the default KLAS.

Does anyone else have this problem?  And, if so, is there a remedy?

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Active Runway Assignment Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »
The ATIS lists all available runways, because it use dummy runways to allow crosswind runways to work. Those dummy runways are not used by AI or the ATC, but they will show in the ATIS, it's a known side effect of this method.

This, however, doesn't have anything to do with the ATC Approach selection which, instead, is handed from the Approaches, giving preference to runways with an ILS, and wind direction.

Fact that you are assigned a runway that doesn't have an ILS, seems to indicate another scenery has removed the Approaches. KLAS doesn't come with approaches in its AFCAD, it relies on the one coming from the default scenery so, if another scenery has removed them, or you edited the KLAS AFCAD with an editor that doesn't preserve the approaches, the ATC will rever to taking just the longest available runway.

So, check you are using the AFCAD that comes with KLAS, check it hasn't been modified, and use the free FSX Airport Scanner to find conflicting AFCADs.